Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Rtavn00220130118.png

2 years already!!!

Super snow event that one, 18cms in my locale near Cannock that day, with temps falling away from 0c at 8am to -3 by mid afternoon, with a biting SE wind.

Posted

Sounds encouraging....just east midlands or more widespread?

charts are on meteociel should be on the left hand column!! Click on the one that goes up to 96 hours!! Yup looks good for central and east midlands!! Snow from start to finish!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

charts are on meteociel should be on the left hand column!! Click on the one that goes up to 96 hours!! Yup looks good for central and east midlands!! Snow from start to finish!!

Thanks Shaky......still learning....!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

No snow for us here ither just had what looked like rain/sleet shower around 12AM. Glad to see the model thread getting back to some sort of normality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Bit disappointed with bbc and met forecast both show a dry tues and rain or sleet on wed and thurs. I know the models are struggling but they are also getting closer to the final outcome so that forecast worries me a bit still time for change. North and east mids i think will do ok but west and south mids its very marginal indeed as per forecasts.

• Like 1

Posted

Where do you get the charts for Tues and Weds

http://www.meteociel.com in french a bit hard to use at first but its what most people use also netweather also has charts and data wich might be easier at first to use

Edited by snowangel32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Bit disappointed with bbc and met forecast both show a dry tues and rain or sleet on wed and thurs. I know the models are struggling but they are also getting closer to the final outcome so that forecast worries me a bit still time for change. North and east mids i think will do ok but west and south mids its very marginal indeed as per forecasts.

bbc is showing rain and sleet for me tues, there is a mild sector and front is weak, light snow for Wed am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A line of snow showers yesterday evening made it to within 10 miles of me, giving 3-4 cm of snow around Buxton but not a flake here.

Posted

Only seen the GFS this morning & on that alone things look worse. More likely to be a wintry mix with 1-3cms possible.

Posted

A line of snow showers yesterday evening made it to within 10 miles of me, giving 3-4 cm of snow around Buxton but not a flake here.

That's unlucky,nothing here last night but did have the coldest night of the winter which the way min temps have been so far surprised me -2.0c

Posted

Lets be honest Tuesday and Wednesday look a

load of rubbish now. Rain and sleet with hill

snow according to the met! What a let down this supposed

cold spell is turning out to be.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A light dusting of snow overnight left around 1cm, With a low of -1.7c

Currently; Clear blue sky's, Feeling cold.

Temp -1.1c

Dp -1.8c

WC -1c

Wind E/N/E 4mph

Snow cover 90%

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning guys,

Mainly cloudy night here, with temps just above freezing..

Until at about 06:00 the cloud cleared the 'breeze' and clouds are now moving TOWARDS the south west.(last evening they were from the south west). 

Have we had a front move down overnight?

Along with the 'change' the temps have dropped and the sky is clear with a widespread frost. 

Temp is still falling, was -0.8C at 08:15 now an hour later it is at -1.0C

SMurr on the MOD has stated that many areas will get snow on wed, but it looks a tad more ENE than was forecast 2 days ago. 

The latest 24 hour charts have all seen a slow movement back westwards again so we could still all be in with a good shout.

The cold forcast is now extending into next week with the Scadanavian/Russian high now starting to move back to the North Sea by next weekend.

Keep the faith guys, it could all come good.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow Angel

Don't worry the MO are having the most difficulty with the situation at the moment.  (imo)

Two days ago they had a low for this weekend zipping down to our South west to Portugal . Then it had it going to Biscay (with it moving back north a tad with some snow chances for South Mids and rain for the south for today) - now no more low to our south.(Remember it only shows out to 7 days)

GFS after being consistent for a very cold spell (with Easterlly) up to 2 days ago, suddenly changed to let the Atlantic through  ( a well known bias it has) at the end of the coming week with the trough going down the North Sea, It has for the last 4 runs started to move everything back east again. Nearly back to where it started (Ie the trough is now forecast to come down through the East Midlands) . Another small correction of 50 miles and it will be a snowfeat for the whole midlands. 

THe Euro model has been consistently in the middle of the 2 other models. It too is now correcting back westwards over the last 3 runs.  It is now also 'upping' the Scandt high for the weekend. So as I say keep the faith 50 miles westwards would be perfect for all of us 

By the way any move up to 150 mile weswtward of the trough/slider low will be good for cold/snow prospects

Any movement west of the massive Russian/Scandy high would most likely put us into the freezer for all of February. 

Hope the above helps a bit.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think all hopes for any snow in this chily period are low at best. however i do see the building blocks starting to show for a very cold febuary.

Posted

Morning guys,

Mainly cloudy night here, with temps just above freezing..

Until at about 06:00 the cloud cleared the 'breeze' and clouds are now moving TOWARDS the south west.(last evening they were from the south west). 

Have we had a front move down overnight?

Have to report that an hour later te breeze and clouds are now streaming down from the north  northwest (as forecast).

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

had the slightest of snow showers overnight... I could actually pick out the individual flakes on the garden table.... lovely to look at..seems like I only missed out on a decent snow cover by a few miles...  snow to the left of me snow to the right here I am stuck in matlock with frost.....

• Like 1

Posted

Snow Angel

Don't worry the MO are having the most difficulty with the situation at the moment.  (imo)

Two days ago they had a low for this weekend zipping down to our South west to Portugal . Then it had it going to Biscay (with it moving back north a tad with some snow chances for South Mids and rain for the south for today) - now no more low to our south.(Remember it only shows out to 7 days)

GFS after being consistent for a very cold spell (with Easterlly) up to 2 days ago, suddenly changed to let the Atlantic through  ( a well known bias it has) at the end of the coming week with the trough going down the North Sea, It has for the last 4 runs started to move everything back east again. Nearly back to where it started (Ie the trough is now forecast to come down through the East Midlands) . Another small correction of 50 miles and it will be a snowfeat for the whole midlands. 

THe Euro model has been consistently in the middle of the 2 other models. It too is now correcting back westwards over the last 3 runs.  It is now also 'upping' the Scandt high for the weekend. So as I say keep the faith 50 miles westwards would be perfect for all of us 

By the way any move up to 150 mile weswtward of the trough/slider low will be good for cold/snow prospects

Any movement west of the massive Russian/Scandy high would most likely put us into the freezer for all of February. 

Hope the above helps a bit.

MIA

I hope so still think we need better uppers the first slider looks weak to me and might struggle to even make it here but the second has more intensity thats when the uppers are crucial for the midlands so yes we need it to go about a 100 miles west otherwise its sleet. Still hopeful though

Posted

had the slightest of snow showers overnight... I could actually pick out the individual flakes on the garden table.... lovely to look at..seems like I only missed out on a decent snow cover by a few miles...  snow to the left of me snow to the right here I am stuck in matlock with frost.....

Yep I missed out too the showers were more Buxton way driving home from work last night from a few cm in Buxton to nothing near me oh well here's hoping we get something Tues/Weds

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Too anyone already convinced about the snow prospects for Tues/Wed, I wouldn't go about writing anything off at the moment. Predicting 2 or 3 days out with regards to snow is not very accurate at the best of times, but this particular developing system is proving harder to get a grip of than usual. There is still quite a bit of uncertainty. It is going to be cold, we know that. But when and where the precipitation falls, and what it falls as, we don't know very well yet. Lots of things can and likely will change between now and then. 

I would pretty much ignore the BBC forecast for Tues and especially Wed right now when it comes to snowfall.

Each run seems to have been an upgrade for the past day or two. So i'm keeping positive, next week (well, technically this week, as we're on Sunday..) certainly looks to be interesting if nothing else. It'd be shortsighted to write it off at this stage.

I know as well as any that we are used to seeing the hype build up only for it to fall flat on it's face just as we get close, but I reserve judgement until we have high confidence in the forecast :)

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Can we expect from the snow in the north later today? Or is it going to die like everything else?

If the NMM is correct, some of us may see some short, light showers. Mainly from late this afternoon to about midnight. Certainly wouldn't expect accumulations from it though. 

Euro4 makes it look even less than NMM.

Edited by kmanmx

Posted

Can we expect from the snow in the north later today? Or is it going to die like everything else?

I'd expect it to die tbh, it has the whole length of the Pennines to traverse before reaching us, that usually sucks all the moisture out of it.

Best not to expect any snow at all I find, we're so unlucky here :-(

But on a brighter note, the next seven days are showing up some pretty severe frosts for our patch, even a couple of days where it dips to -8'c , which, if we by some freak of nature, happen to get a covering of snow, would allow temperatures to easily dip below -10'c.

So, there will be some nice frosts about, not sure if they'd be hoar frosts as I've not seen the humidity and dew points forecast.

Although we missed all the snow back in 2009/10 , we had some epic hoar frosts, which covered the trees and bushes with over an inch of frost, and that looked just like snow it was so thick over everything.

I think that if nature won't let us have snow, could she at least let us have some amazing hoar frosts please? :-D

I'll dig some photos out later to let you see what I meant :-)

• Like 2