Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

We never get above 20% chance for anything until Tuesday evening.

I'm not viewing this as a classic cold spell though and never have done really. However, this is the 6th January of the decade so far (including Jan 2010) and I reckon for here, it's the 3rd best for cold and snow so far behind 2010 and 2013. Can't decide which one of those 2 is in first place before you ask!

Talking of January 2010, the cold that was around in the first week of that month had surprises. I remember being on here during the evening of Sunday 3rd with us all moaning that the cold spell was going to be a dry one all week long according to the models and the forecasts. On the morning of Tuesday 5th, less than 48 hours later, my work was sending me home early due to very heavy snowfall. Something that might be worth a reminder with this week coming up.

Remember that period very well.. was living in Penn Wolverhampton at the time...I seem to remember not much snowfall during the daytime but lots falling late night early mornings... Tuesday 5th I just managed to get to work in Willenhall only for my boss to not make it so had to go home and play in the garden..my youngest was born on the 8th and I will never forget as I held him for the first time I took him to the window of delivery room to show him the outside world and it smashed it down with snow and now he is as addicted as I am....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Bizarrely, have got a snow symbol for 9pm tonight on xcweather.com.

Will believe it when I see it!

#CynicalMare

Edited by fizz511

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Maybe a dusting by tomorrow am? bbc seems to suggest weak band of sleet/snow

another band moving down around 4pm will be pure rain, colder air digs in behind this, fergieweather update not too great for here/midlands, only a smattering really tues/wed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

another band moving down around 4pm will be pure rain, colder air digs in behind this, fergieweather update not too great for here/midlands, only a smattering really tues/wed

I don't really read like that. Looking at the precip charts there's a heavy area coming across us. Guess we need to wait for the models to come into more agreement. Maybe a better idea tomorrow.

Also are the winds turning more n/w now? Maybe that's why I got a snow flake for later!

Posted

Precipitation across North Wales and the Northwest is now sinking southeast and in our direction.

However, as always, it's got to leapfrog those mountains and we've seen greater amounts than this dissappear in the past before. So I wouldn't get excited about the current radar frames. As soon as things get east and south of say, Welshpool/Shrewsbury, that's when we can start looking out for it.

Seems too big an ask though.

Edit: It's already breaking up...need more northerly!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Well yes of course...which is why I went on to make the point about January 2010.

Although I have found the Met Office forecasts fairly reliable this winter.

The point is, they are not forecasts, just visual representations of the most recent Euro4 model run :)

Useful to compare over a number of runs, but not worth get het up about.  Especially when other models show differently.

Posted

Precipitation across North Wales and the Northwest is now sinking southeast and in our direction.

However, as always, it's got to leapfrog those mountains and we've seen greater amounts than this dissappear in the past before. So I wouldn't get excited about the current radar frames. As soon as things get east and south of say, Welshpool/Shrewsbury, that's when we can start looking out for it.

Seems too big an ask though.

Edit: It's already breaking up...need more northerly!

I am not expecting anything, but nonetheless, whatever the forecast says, its another night of radar watching (the only reliable short-term forecasting tool there is) - and who knows, some of us may be in for a surpise.   We will see.

Posted

The point is, they are not forecasts, just visual representations of the most recent Euro4 model run :)

Useful to compare over a number of runs, but not worth get het up about.  Especially when other models show differently.

Oh I don't get het up about them but interesting to learn where they come from,so thanks for that!

The only forecast I really take notice of is the one on Farming Today as I'm waking up on a Monday morning! Otherwise, like you say, the radar gives us the best forecast...

...except when little thunderstorms develop right on top of you in deep summer, then even the radar is useless...love it when that happens! :D

The little runaway shower is almost in Northampton now...has spirit that one!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Netweather forecasting this! Yes please torrential snow! After earlier showers going north of me ive 3-4 inches of snow.....

post-16439-0-91610300-1421526256_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

He didn't say that!.. that's your interpretation... he said;

"UKMO lean towards broader snow risk essentially mid-Wales northwards Some accumulations also likely S and E of here between Tues-Thurs".

Also he said and wise words these are regarding PPN " devil still in detail. So how you can say the Midlands will only get a 'smattering' when even FW said "devil still in detail"

Methinks....Still along way to go yet! regarding who and where will get SNOW....and especially how much!

• Like 4

Posted

Down to 1c here now so wind needs to hurry up and turn more NW and drag those showers down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Netweather forecasting this! Yes please torrential snow! After earlier showers going north of me ive 3-4 inches of snow.....

Not Jealous....

Much.

Posted

Not Jealous....

Much.

Blinds up wine open fire on.... Watching this like when i was a kid, lived in mallorca in 80s and had snow once of three inches....
  • Like 1

Posted

Nice streamer about to hit south Birmingham, not as intece as Derby but hey its a start ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Nice streamer about to hit south Birmingham, not as intece as Derby but hey its a start ?

it spotted with rain lol
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Ha, had totally forgotten the fact it's quite likely to just be rain. 2C here !

Posted

A second shower of rain / sleet / snow is on its way. Bearing reddich worcester areas. NwX radar overlay, sorry if its not snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

After a day of better model runs... I wonder what the pub run will bring..... eyes down and looking....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Cold spell? What cold spell?

Rain showers?!

mainly oop norf, sunday night/monday it's meant to arrive here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

Cold rain here in Wellesbourne...as per