Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Sleety rain here but not heavy..... Heavier bursts more sleety but thats it.... 2c.....

Christmas decs down, lounge hoovered... Off to new house for check to see if its ready for tenents then pub lunch....

Edited by Will Padz

Posted

One or two icy splats on the car windscreen but that's about as good as it gets. Otherwise it's a horrid day. The worst kind of winter weather. The dog walk this morning was miserable and muddy. The roads are flooding. Mud is being bought in through my living room. Just as it was ALL last winter.

I know we have to put up with this as some point every year but I just hope it doesn't go on for weeks on end again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Just enough snow to make it white over above 300m but it's eased off now. Temp' is 0.5c

Posted

gettin some sleety stuff in the heavier bursts here. Still hoping mid month,for the possible pattern change to get some proper cold in.

Posted

It's finally stopped raining here. No more to come, looking at the radar. 11.00 mm since midnight.

With temperatures forecast to drop below freezing tonight, there could be some serious issues with ice.

Temp is currently 4.9°C with a Dp of 4.3°C

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

It's finally stopped raining here. No more to come, looking at the radar. 11.00 mm since midnight.

With temperatures forecast to drop below freezing tonight, there could be some serious issues with ice.

Temp is currently 4.9°C with a Dp of 4.3°C

Bish

Bish

I agree with the weather,   the wind has now swung round to the NNE, but not the temps....

Since my previous posts I have been doing some checking including my old mecury min/max thermometer - temp 3.8 to 4.0C - my old sensor probe - temp 3.6C - and my new one (well one year old )  -  3.6C. The dew point on it is 2.1C which agrees with the theoretical calculation.

Also, looking at the East Anglia and South East thread they are were all reporting temps of 3C about midday (chart by Daniel also shows East Mids the same ) so I now find your reading of 4.9C at midday (and also again now now) very strange.

Do you still use Monkspath for your readings or have you your own equipment?

Are you on the Wyndley Garden Centre side of Knowle? because I have noticed many times in the past, that it doesn't have laying snow when we do here,  I put it down to the height  effect on the south side of Knowle. If both are correct it seems incredible that we can get a consistent difference of 1.3C at 3 miles apart at virtually the same height. 

Just interested as two people DWW and Costa (today) have suggeted my values are wrong and I am trying to resolve.

MIA

Posted

Still firmly in the 'no snow' club here, just a miserable, wet winter's day. Temperature hovering around 2.5-3.5C all day. Lovely clear skies now, and temps starting to drop back. Hoping for a decent frost tonight.

I see no snow at Flash Bar Stores either, so presumably, no-one has lying snow now?

Posted

Picog...

looks as if we have all missed it.

It looks as if the uppers  (what does it mean  - I've seen it on the MOD thread) were too high.

I guess it means that at the rain/snow making level the temps were too high, even though it was cold enough down below for evaporative cooling to take effect..

On my other issue of the day. I now think all my values are realistic.

My old probe says current temp is 2.6C, my new (current use one) says 2.7C and my old mercury min/max says 2.8 - 3.0C. Dew Point is now 0.5C. So the new one looks good enough to me!!

Temp falling rapidly now with clear skies.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Still overcast here in North Shropshire, hard frost forecast tonight so tomorrow should be a cold and frosty winters day. I've not given up yet on this winter and feel come the weekend of 24/25th January we will have snow on the ground across the midlands....well there's no harm in dreaming :)

Posted

Do you still use Monkspath for your readings or have you your own equipment?

Are you on the Wyndley Garden Centre side of Knowle? because I have noticed many times in the past, that it doesn't have laying snow when we do here,  I put it down to the height  effect on the south side of Knowle. If both are correct it seems incredible that we can get a consistent difference of 1.3C at 3 miles apart at virtually the same height. 

MIA

Hi MIA,

Yes I still use Monkspath. Not sure what other ones are available locally. It's a good site, but it does tend (in my opinion) to very slightly overcook temps by between 1°C to 2°C or so, compared to what folk are reporting on here. Having said that, it often tallies up with Birmingham Airport.

I'm on the opposite side of Knowle, near to Copt Heath Golf Course :)

Bish

Posted

Hi MIA,

I'm on the opposite side of Knowle, near to Copt Heath Golf Course :)

Bish

Bish

I wont tell anyone then... :nonono:  :nonono:  :pardon:  :pardon:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :friends:

Re the other (main) point I.ll keep a check out with Bham Airport in the future. 

Also on my mobile I can get 2 or three other sites around our area.

(off to charge my mobile again now!)

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very clear with a hard ground ground frost, A low of -3.6c.

Current Temp -3.4c

Dp -3.8c

Wind West 2mph.

Posted

Had some graupel and sleet briefly yesterday,otherwise a hard ground frost last night with air temps above at 0.2c 

Posted

Morning all

Looks like a lovely day ahead. Clear with some wispy cirrus spreading in.

Min overnight -3.8C

Current (09:00) at -3.0C with rel humidty of 84% gives me a dewpoint of -5.0C.

Just checked B'ham Airport and it has exactly the same, but with rel humidity of 100% and low lying  fog.

Minimum temps overnight around the Midlands were widely between -2C and -5C with several country areas reporting fog.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Went down to -3.2c last night as opposed to the BBC's forecast of 0c, and i don't live in the countryside,currently -2.4c

Posted

Still -1 in the shade beautiful day cold crisp clean air , nice 11th day of Christmas

Posted

Interesting now,

Once again, after a clear morning when the temp got above freezing at 11'oclock(1.0C) . It seems as though the  moisture has resulted in fog formation, sun now dissappearing and the temperature has now (Midday)  dropped to 0.0C again.

Its not the first time this has happened here, I mentioned it twice in the Autumn I remember.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

Good frost last night, with a minimum of -4.1C. Very foggy this morning, so hedges and trees looking extra good in their winter garb. Still foggy and frosty now, temp just hovering around -0.4C.

Great dog walking weather, mud in fields frozen, so neither of us is quite as mucky as usual.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Was a bright sunny-ish morning here,  turning misty here now, currently  1.4c from a :cold: -3.6c last night..... LIKING IT :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yeah turning foggy here too.