Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

To reiterate it is mild this evening across Wales and I expect temperatures may rise overnight across the West Midlands too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

To reiterate it is mild this evening across Wales and I expect temperatures may rise overnight across the West Midlands too.

Tony,

I apologise...

I see your post had YESTERDAY  in it for your journey back via Lampeter. I just saw the time and thought it was todays post. It appears the Welsh are quieter at the moment compared to this one!!!

To reiterate as Tony says it looks a if the MO are correct. The temperature has gone back up to -0.9C here now.!!

MIA

Posted

Tony,

I apologise...

I see your post had YESTERDAY  in it for your journey back via Lampeter. I just saw the time and thought it was todays post. It appears the Welsh are quieter at the moment compared to this one!!!

To reiterate as Tony says it looks a if the MO are correct. The temperature has gone back up to -0.9C here now.!!

MIA

Ah I get it now..the Wales thread is rather dead! Thanks MIA..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Clear skies seem likely to last mostly into most of tomorrow now bar some patchy cloud later tonight and thus a fantastic frost tonight with many surfaces white tonight. Really does look as good as a dusting of snow. :D

Posted

What a suprise! Yet another hard frost with a low of -4.6C. Completely unexpected as I am so far west in the Midlands. Temperature still -3.1C now. Maybe the milder air. Is behind schedule?

• Like 1

Posted

Mild air struggling to reach central parts.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Slow thaw overnight here lawn still mostly white min 3.4c now 4.3c and mostly cloudy.

Cold briefly returns Friday with possible sleet/snow showers.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yes I was expecting to wake up this morning to slush n muck but another really hard frost and snow cover still intact up in the peak district..got a feeling today will be the last day with snow cover from this period... but that will still mean 5 days with lying snow some really low over night temps and some very low daytime max temps too.... not bad for December... and when you go to the MOD you wouldn't have a clue that a good part of the UK has been in the grip of a cold snowy spell... so many doom and gloom winters over posts over the last few days...

If this turns out to be the only cold spell of the winter then it will have been a million times better than last year... but I have a feeling we will get at least one more shot before winters out...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A ground frost last night again with a low of -1.2c, Full snow cover remains of around 5inch, As Big S rightly says should all be gone in the next 48hrs. It's been a good cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

In common with all, here we had a beautiful whit frost overnight. Minimum of -3.2C ay 03:00.

Again a night of rapidly flucuating temps. Never seen it like that before this cold spell.

Now upto 1.0C wit cloud spreading rapidly eastwards. Frost rapidly melting on trees, but still  on roofs and roads.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The final minimum temp' of 2014 has been recorded and the lowest min' of the whole year is just -1.3c here; easily the highest for any year since my records began in 1963.

The previous highest was -2.2c in 1989.

Posted

A bright frosty start to the day but clouding over now

The stiff breeze made it feel one of the coldest mornings even though the ice was not as thick on the car

It's been a good few days here, looking forward to a bit of wet and windy weather before the next cold blast

Posted

The final minimum temp' of 2014 has been recorded and the lowest min' of the whole year is just -1.3c here; easily the highest for any year since my records began in 1963.

That's pretty shocking stats TM, Lets hope the New Year makes up for it.  A slight thaw starting here, Temp 1.2c.

Hope everyone enjoys the 'New Year' celebrations tonight and stays safe, Just having a quite one myself as the other half is working late and it cost's a small fortune to get a taxi where live..

Happy New Year everyone in the Midlands thread  :drunk:

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

Was going to go to Uttoxeter races today with group of mates but abandoned because of that poxy frost, ah well we're spending all day in the pub instead, have a good NYE all.

Posted

That's quite astonishing given your location and altitude.

Just 3 miles from me is the Met Office weather station at Raf Northolt. It's located in a north west London suburb and 40metres asl.

Overnight the temperature fell to -5.9c and the night before -5.1c.

Posted

Temperature just risen above freezing here, 0.5C. Still very frosty though.

I do not understand how Solihull can be above freezing before Ludlow area since we are much further west. I maybe in a frost hollow, but even so ...

Posted

Crikey, are you in a warm spot? You have the benefit of elevation too. Isn't that mysterious?

Posted

Crikey, are you in a warm spot? You have the benefit of elevation too. Isn't that mysterious?

TM will be able to explain in much better than me, But at this alt much of the time the lower temps are down in the Valleys due to the topo of the land. We tend to get much more stable temps, But on the whole cooler due to being above the inversion line.   

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Clouds

Lowest overnight temperature was -5.7C recorded at 02:56 am.

Current temperature 1.7C with some broken cloud, looks like we may well see the last of the Boxing Day snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Well, not too mysterious.

I'm right at the top of a hill on the edge of a gently sloping plateau.  As cold air is denser than warm air, under normal nocturnal radiative cooling all the cold air slides away into the valleys and relatively warm air is pulled in at this altitude to replace it.

The minimum temperature here is therefore a reflection of the temperature of the air mass covering the country rather than a result of air steadily cooling and sinking overnight.

If the air mass is cold to a great depth ( something we haven't seen since March 2013 ) then the minima here are closer to those recorded lower down.

The 'warm spot' applies only to night minima as even with relatively high temperatures at night the daytime maxima are only a degree or two higher due to the effect of altitude.

I noticed the other day you had a min' of around -5c and a max' of around 4c  to follow. Here the min' on the same day was -1.3c and the max' was 0.0c.

• Like 4

Posted

That's pretty shocking stats TM, Lets hope the New Year makes up for it.  A slight thaw starting here, Temp 1.2c.

Hope everyone enjoys the 'New Year' celebrations tonight and stays safe, Just having a quite one myself as the other half is working late and it cost's a small fortune to get a taxi where live..

Happy New Year everyone in the Midlands thread  :drunk:

That is truly the stat that illustrates the mildness of 2014 to me!

yeah, good frost -3.0C, about my 4rh frost on the trot, mild air must be close though

Sure is 8c here Atlantic is back!

Posted

I'm right at the top of a hill on the edge of a gently sloping plateau.  As cold air is denser than warm air, under normal nocturnal radiative cooling all the cold air slides away into the valleys and relatively warm air is pulled in at this altitude to replace it.

The minimum temperature here is therefore a reflection of the temperature of the air mass covering the country rather than a result of air steadily cooling and sinking overnight.

If the air mass is cold to a great depth ( something we haven't seen since March 2013 ) then the minima here are closer to those recorded lower down.

The 'warm spot' applies only to night minima as even with relatively high temperatures at night the daytime maxima are only a degree or two higher due to the effect of altitude.

I noticed the other day you had a min' of around -5c and a max' of around 4c  to follow. Here the min' on the same day was -1.3c and the max' was 0.0c.

thanks for that graet explanation TM.

I have recently been monitoring a wunderground weather station about 500m away from me, BUT crucially it is approx. 50 to 75 metres higher, and there night min temps have been around 0.5 to to -1.5 while in my location I have recorded -4 to -6, and I was struggling to work out why there was such a difference.

(Net Weather - a great sight and always scope to learn more) Happy New Year to all.

Posted

Thanks TM, got it! I had wondered if it was due to you being on a hill, but discounted it.