Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I have to say I couldn't contain my excitement last night, running about like a two year old & this morning, wow loved it. Popped out in the car to drive further into Derbyshire, lots of cars turning back but we kept going! Parked up & had a couple of hours walk, looking at all the animal tracks from last night & guessing the nights story from the prints. Got a pocket full of chocolate & just enjoyed the white sparkly beauty of it all.

Not sure where you are reporting from, assuming derbyshire? how about location in sig or profile?

Posted

0h yeah the 4th, but that was it, snow the thursday after that completely missed here, maybe that's why i class the last real decent Feb as '09

2012 was complete rubbish here, no snow at all save a brief 1cm early on Sunday 19th. 2009 also disappointing, never got more than 5cm and it kept melting in the day. Last good Feb for snow here was 1994.

Posted

still dregs of snow about, 0.3C now, cold lasting until around new years day, then our usual weather wind and rain lasting through whole of Jan, are we not due a decent Feb? the last decent Feb here was '09

You were calling me negative yesterday!

How do you know it will last the whole of Jan?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

Not sure where you are reporting from, assuming derbyshire? how about location in sig or profile?

Staffordshire but only a couple of miles away from Derbyshire border, sorry!

Posted

You were calling me negative yesterday!

How do you know it will last the whole of Jan?

Can see a zonal pattern setting up, can see it being a wet one, jet looks fairly south, models seem to agree on a low pressure dominated Jan, who knows though for Feb and Mar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

very light snow falling here at the moment.... will we get another dumping??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

very light snow falling here at the moment.... will we get another dumping??

Unfortunately I cannot see much snow falling tonight. There is a line of light sleet and snow showers pushing across our area now but I wouldn't expect more than a cm where you are and no accumulations here. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Most of the snow in Derby has melted from roads and pavements but still a light covering on grass. Some of the snow had disappeared by first light this morning infact.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Can see a zonal pattern setting up, can see it being a wet one, jet looks fairly south, models seem to agree on a low pressure dominated Jan, who knows though for Feb and Mar

Xmas eve you were saying the track of the low will be too far north for us! "rain all the way" even though the MO were saying it's more and more likely for SNOW to hit Wales & Midlands....

you can't even get that right!!

it's beyond me how you can say that JAN will be a zonal set up..."rain all the way".....i know the models are showing Atlantic through and through, but's that's way into FI even you have said in the past

don't look that far head!!!!

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Unfortunately I cannot see much snow falling tonight. There is a line of light sleet and snow showers pushing across our area now but I wouldn't expect more than a cm where you are and no accumulations here. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Most of the snow in Derby has melted from roads and pavements but still a light covering on grass. Some of the snow had disappeared by first light this morning infact.

that's a shame as we have not lost any of our cover today...... its still very light snow here.... if you were looking at the lamp post you could see maybe the odd flake every few seconds or so.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

track of the low was too far north for a dumping, but still got some snow

:oops: Wrong again!......plenty on here have reported a dumping... unless i need to go to spec-savers i've seen the pic's to prove it :smiliz23:

• Like 1

Posted

:oops: Wrong again!......plenty on here have reported a dumping... unless i need to go to spec-savers i've seen the pic's to prove it :smiliz23:

I mean for low levels, high levels always get loads

Posted

Well its a last chance regarding snow for central England!

Looking at sat24 infared a weak front is pushing west to east over the irish sea, then we got ppn coming in from the east, bearing east - giving snow.

A member mentioned a convergance zone possible setting up today on here (sorry i cant credit who it was but TY) it looks like it may happen, the ppn is not fizzling out as it usually does from the east. I know its a weak band but its kept its momentum for many miles now and still holding.

post-3585-0-78027900-1419716603_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Light snow for the last hour..... Some biggish flakes....-1c.... Snow from yesterday frozen solid.... Very icy....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just went outside and there's some very petite snowflakes falling from the sky. :)

Solihull snow shield strength down to 77.5%. Needs to get below 65% to allow slightly bigger snowflakes to reach the ground... (which could be possible looking at the radar, though nothing particularly heavy looking likely)...

Edit: then again, that showery stuff seems to be rapidly breaking up, so it may not get any heavier at all.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted

Just seen cresent moon, misty / light fog here, quicky gone by clouds, heres hoping lol!!

Posted

Close but yet so far!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some very light snow in the last 45min has left a very thin layer on top of the old snow cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Some very light snow in the last 45min has left a very thin layer on top of the old snow cover.

:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Does look like it's pretty much game over now.

Posted

No snow here apart from the higher hills, snowline probably close to 300m. However, have a good frost this morning which is second best.

Looks like the snow will stick around to at least Tuesday next week, so enjoy!

Edited by picog

Posted

Off out up Mam Tor this morning, Just sat having a warm before i set off.. -4.5c here.

post-12319-0-08187600-1419755163_thumb.j

post-12319-0-98580800-1419755720_thumb.j

post-12319-0-07263100-1419755762_thumb.j

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi all...

Clear and frosty now after a cloudy night.

Temperature continuing to fall. It was -1.1C at 08:00 now at 8:45 it has dropped to -1.7C

Looks like a fine frosty day.

MIA   

Edited by Midlands Ice Age