Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A little bit less windier than I expected (at least so far), and generally dry, too, with the Shower Shield staying quite rubust.

I have to say, looking at that posted chart by Bishop Brennan, that is a seriously huge upgrade from the GFS this evening. Really hope it comes off. :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The charts all look rather underwhelming at the moment, bar those covering the Strat.

Green Christmas, anyone?  :nonono:

Bish

Bar the odd flake here and there if we happen to be in a decent Pm slot I would say 90% certain yes Bish.

Posted

Certainly  :whistling:

Rrea00119630202.gif

On a serious note, imagine what the forum would be like if we started seeing charts like this soon!

Bish

Just been looking at the rain figures in British Rainfall for that infamous Winter, most of the Midlands was very dry with under 2 inches (50mm) over the 3 months so snow amounts would have been quite small. Dad says that it snowed a little Boxing day and that remained on the ground until March with not much addition.

Ah, wouldn't that be something...?

I lived through it, but as I was only 1, I, unfortunately, don't remember it!

I dont remember it all either even though I was the ripe old age of 3 :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Common guys, our sucking efforts of this morning  have moved the Euros 150 miles south to cross the north Midland and Lancashire and Yorksire.

Only one more big effort and we can pull it 100 miles further south, and then who knows?

The GFS has it still crossing us but as a small trough only. (ie no real development)..

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Yup the past 24 hours has seen that little low go further and further south! ! If we could just see the models push it another 50 miles south then the midlands will be a good place to be for snow Friday morning!!

Posted

Bar the odd flake here and there if we happen to be in a decent Pm slot I would say 90% certain yes Bish.

What are your thoughts/expectations re January onwards, Tony? Or do you generally not look that far ahead as a rule?

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Clouds

Glad to see we have a dedicated Midlands forum.

Not been too bad here maximum gust recorded today was 21.3mph, however it looks like it may be our turn tomorrow evening.

Posted

What are your thoughts/expectations re January onwards, Tony? Or do you generally not look that far ahead as a rule?

Bish

No idea long range Bish

Posted

Common lads just one more suck. Its coming across the North Midlands now.......

1,2,3, SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH.

Out of breath already.

I have topped a tree in the front garden so I can see the lamppost opposite, so I'm allready. 

I think we need to pray now!!!!

Bish?

MIA

• Like 2

Posted

Frequent showers here, unusual for a westerly, normally die off before even reaching Shropshire, 5.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Common lads just one more suck. Its coming across the North Midlands now.......

1,2,3, SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH.

Out of breath already.

I have topped a tree in the front garden so I can see the lamppost opposite, so I'm allready. 

I think we need to pray now!!!!

Bish?

MIA

Sooo funny - the thought of you out in the garden madly sawing off the top of the tree so you can lamp post watch!

Priceless!

I just love how mad for snow we all are on here, makes me feel right at home :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rather tedious charts imo with any interesting conditions up North really. Any snow cant really quite make it to the Midlands and South it seems. Last winter was far more interesting really albeit the damage of course was not good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

looking at the net w snow risk for brum for next 4days its0%

Posted

looking at the net w snow risk for brum for next 4days its0%

Looking at the GFS for tomorrow evening, it looks like we might get some wet snow for a time, evaporative cooling taking place in the heavy rain, so maybe even snow to low levels.

Even if it does, it'll be the nasty, sticky, slushy stuff which will be gone by morning. 

It's a start though!

The models are much more positive in the longer term :-)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy mix here of hail/sleet/snow, A thin covering Temp 1.6, Dp 0.3c

• Like 1

Posted

Temp 2c hail/sleet/snowy slush covering 1-2cm.... Mostly where wind has drifted it... Hills around have a white covering...hear there are traffic problems in buxton....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Heavy snow shower here at the moment, it's beginning to whiten the fields. Heard thunder to the north around 5.15 this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Now just heavy snow, A good covering with all the green gone.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Heavy mix here of hail/sleet/snow, A thin covering Temp 1.6, Dp 0.3c

Started as rain down here in Matlock PM, Just started to turn to snow now but still mixing with sleety stuff...no covering here tho....the difference 100 metres makes eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Everything white over with snow now. The temperature has fallen from 2.4c an hour ago to 0.2 c now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yep temp dropped very quickly when the shower got very heavy....good to see the big white flakes...hills around all covered white....

Posted

Morning guys,

Looks as though we still have a chance for tonight. We still need the slight adjustment south.

Scotland is reporting snow down to low levels now as colder air moves in behind a trough coming in from the North West.. Can it continue to push south? Just seen Carol on BBC1 moving the snow a bit further south into the North west Mids, so we are still getting some southern corections. Come on you know we can do it!

I have to go to the hospital this afternoon for scans so will  not  be around to organise our final push/pull..

I am sure Bish will be around to organise things though if it starts to get interesting later on. (Can he manage a miracle for us?)

Oh yes -    current temps have dropped to 4C now, after being at 5.2C yesterday evening, with one or two lightish showers  around, that looks as if they could turn wintry.

Good luck to all.

MIA

Edit - Just seen the reports from the North Mids above. Looks as if the colder air is trying to push southwards.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1