Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Was raining a bit here...had a lovely christmas, get to do it all again tomorrow at the parents! Lol...warning....currently drinking stella, i dont drink these days, but thought i might aswell join you all lol

• Like 2

Posted

Happy christmas everyone. Really can't understand the warnings for tomorrow, forecast has us dry and cloudy all day and with a low tracking se we would be lucky this far north to see any precipitation. Wait and see what happens but have seen this plenty of times, expecting a cloudy dry day here, enjoy the snow if you get some !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Well for mwah where I am, I think I expect to see at least some snow (hopefully) but none of it settling from Boxing Day night's event. At the very least, some sleety stuff.

That is providing the thing doesnt move any further south lol. Still nice to see any snow though! :)

Oh, and Merry Christmas! :w00t:

Edited by Chris D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Dunno what everyone is fussing over. Have you seen the upper air profiles and the precipitation charts for us?

Much of the south of the region looks to be RIGHT in the firing line for a good 6 hours of snow before the front moves away.

After that we have the potential for some wintry showers off the Irish Sea the next day. All in all a very positive outlook. Cheer up.

• Like 3

Posted

Well that does look good actually haha. Although I think the temps are too marginal for the snow to be settling for me at sea level especially, temp accum.'s in other areas with any sort of height very likely though.

I just wanna see some snow falling after the abominal winter of last year lol.

Edited by Chris D
  • Like 1

Posted

Dunno what everyone is fussing over. Have you seen the upper air profiles and the precipitation charts for us?

Much of the south of the region looks to be RIGHT in the firing line for a good 6 hours of snow before the front moves away.

After that we have the potential for some wintry showers off the Irish Sea the next day. All in all a very positive outlook. Cheer up.

What are the upper air temps looking like mate?

I'm showing dam at 527 and uppers of -4 ,not looking good :(.....

surely that's ok for snow? are you at altitude?

Posted

Let it snow let it snow let it snow ⛄ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸â›„ï¸â„ï¸

Posted

I'm showing dam at 527 and uppers of -4 ,not looking good :(.....

What are the upper air temps looking like mate?

surely that's ok for snow? are you at altitude?

-5C by the time the bulk of the precip arrives around 9, lasts until around midnight for most, perhaps a little longer before moving SE.

Thing is with this type of setup, we don't need especially cold uppers. The lower the pressure, the more room we have for those upper temps, same applies with the dam, this is a low pressure system/front, not showers :) 

• Like 2

Posted

That bbc weather video looks good.

But on their website I am forecast just rain, and I can't get excited cos even in the feb/march 2013 when places like Runcorn got plastered with snow, me at 150m got the odd flurry.

It seems if it's sleet or hail my area gets it, but snow is a no go.

Got fingers and toes crossed.

And backtrack thanks for all the knowledge you share with us in this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i hope Kayro sees this, typical Manchester too far north :smiliz39:

Posted

That bbc weather video looks good.

But on their website I am forecast just rain, and I can't get excited cos even in the feb/march 2013 when places like Runcorn got plastered with snow, me at 150m got the odd flurry.

It seems if it's sleet or hail my area gets it, but snow is a no go.

Got fingers and toes crossed.

And backtrack thanks for all the knowledge you share with us in this thread.

Luckily mate, the 18Z has shifted the front Northwards, a lovely last minute correction for us NW'eners!

We also see some more energy on that northern flank, giving off some heavier precipitation for a time before it eventually does move away. So I would say your location is also looking rather snowy!

The 18Z GFS(P) has wintry showers around much of the region too on the 27th, all in all a wintry picture painted! And if we do miss the snow, we won't miss the frosts with temperatures looking likely to drop to -3/-4C for many, a tad lower over snowfields and countrysides!

i hope Kayro sees this, typical Manchester too far north :smiliz39:

Manchester is in that white, it's not too far north haha! Google map it!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Luckily mate, the 18Z has shifted the front Northwards, a lovely last minute correction for us NW'eners!

We also see some more energy on that northern flank, giving off some heavier precipitation for a time before it eventually does move away. So I would say your location is also looking rather snowy!

The 18Z GFS(P) has wintry showers around much of the region too on the 27th, all in all a wintry picture painted! And if we do miss the snow, we won't miss the frosts with temperatures looking likely to drop to -3/-4C for many, a tad lower over snowfields and countrysides!

Yea i was being sarcastic pal haha Kayro reckons he's too far north and he also thinks its typical escpecially in 2010 when he got 1ft

Posted

Yea i was being sarcastic pal haha Kayro reckons he's too far north and he also thinks its typical escpecially in 2010 when he got 1ft

Kayro would complain that he was too far North if he lived in the North Pole

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Nice!! I was hoping this morning it would shifted further north and it came true right now!! :)

Posted

Nice!! I was hoping this morning it would shifted further north and it came true right now!! :)

It's still 20hrs away though and highly volatile and open to correction, could still go 100 miles southwards, extreme uncertainty still over at the Met Office, probably the reason why their warning area covers such a vast space.

Posted

if I can pull an easterly wind at low level to keep the sea at bay and some evaporative cooling then yes , here's hoping :)...

Dont even think the precip will reach you mate, hope im wrong and shunts even further north

Posted

It's still 20hrs away though and highly volatile and open to correction, could still go 100 miles southwards, extreme uncertainty still over at the Met Office, probably the reason why their warning area covers such a vast space.

Dont even think the precip will reach you mate, hope im wrong and shunts even further north

Aye the uncertainty of this one must defo be stressed - haven't seen this amount of model volatility in a while. As has been said, there could well be rather substantial changes in the intensity & track of the LP yet! May go down to the wire really

Edited by Chris D