Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The Temperature now will not effect the chances of snow later.............. That's all I said, not sure why you are trying to convince me it won't snow later because I haven't said it will or it won't....... :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

But it will though? Read what I've said....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I can't see anything in the output that suggests anything but rain tonight for most places (unless you're at about 300m elevation). GFS sends the snow level up to about 800-1000m in the warm sector. By the time sufficiently cold air moves in, the precipitation has gone. Nothing doing for me I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Posted

But it will though? Read what I've said....

But it' won't........... What you have said is that the conditions at the time do not support snow, you may be right or wrong....... what is Fact thou is the temperature now will have no bearing on the chances of snow later........ Of course you probably made the flippant remark hoping no one would notice it was nothing but padding.

Edited by frosty ground

Posted

But it' won't........... What you have said is that the conditions at the time do not support snow, you may be right or wrong....... what is Fact thou is the temperature now will have no bearing on the chances of snow later........ Of course you probably made the flippant remark hoping no one would notice it was nothing but padding.

I've tried to explain why temperatures now may reflect what happens later. You're just to arrogant to see it. I'm done trying to explain to you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

let's keep it friendly please chaps

• Like 1

Posted

I've tried to explain why temperatures now may reflect what happens later. You're just to arrogant to see it. I'm done trying to explain to you.

You Tried to Explain it with nonsense I am afraid......

I can only assume you are trying to portray that the air in front of the front will not be cold enough to sustain ice crystals to fall to ground level. That the wind strength will not allow for Evaporating cooling and the lack of heavy precipitation will not allow for Evaporating Cooling.

But then the forecast shows that the rain may gradually turn to snow as the night progresses which must mean the temperature now has no bearing if the rain as forecast turns to snow............. Therefore your Stagnant air post is a little misleading don't you think.

Of course if the Rainfall stop before the right conditions are available to sustain snow then there will be no snow, that's common knowledge, but again the temperature now will have no nearing on the chances of snow later.

Edited by frosty ground
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

To be honest Frosty Ground has a point. I do remember temperatures being around 6C during the day with an encroaching warm sector. Once that pulled through then cold air rapidly got sucked into the system and the 6C plummeted to 1-2C with upper atmosphere temps at aorund -4C. I remember it, I just can't remember when. 

Posted

You Tried to Explain it with nonsense I am afraid......

I can only assume you are trying to portray that the air in front of the front will not be cold enough to sustain ice crystals to fall to ground level. That the wind strength will not allow for Evaporating cooling and the lack of heavy precipitation will not allow for Evaporating Cooling.

But then the forecast shows that the rain may gradually turn to snow as the night progresses which must mean the temperature now has no bearing if the rain as forecast turns to snow............. Therefore your Stagnant air post is a little misleading don't you think.

Of course if the Rainfall stop before the right conditions are available to sustain snow then there will be no snow, that's common knowledge, but again the temperature now will have no nearing on the chances of snow later.

The point I was trying to make was that the lower the temperature now, the better the chances are to see falling snow later. The temperatures will UNDOUBTEDLY rise as the warm sector approaches, meaning they'll have to drop off even more. I know what you're saying, but what I'm saying is, will a WARM front with a cold sector on it's northern flank have enough time & energy to allow the temperature to drop 4-6C before it moves away?

It's not around for long before it fizzles out, this is why the temperature now will have either a negative or positive effect on what falls later, depending on where you are, elevation etc. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temperatures are over 6c here atm along with a strong wind still blowing from the west, think I'm a bit too far north to see much in the way of ppn anyway but your gonna have to be under some very heavy ppn if you want evaporative cooling to take place. I wouldn't get overly excited away from elevation, I agree with Backtrack.

Posted

Temperatures are over 6c here atm along with a strong wind still blowing from the west, think I'm a bit too far north to see much in the way of ppn anyway but your gonna have to be under some very heavy ppn if you want evaporative cooling to take place. I wouldn't get overly excited away from elevation, I agree with Backtrack.

So you agree your current temperature will effect the chances of snow later............ Overriding actual conditions later?  :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

It is 6 degrees her and raining at the moment although with that wind it feels much colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

There's just been a post on facebook from Greater Manchester police that cars are getting stuck on Holmfirth road above Greenfield due to snow!

I'm rather surprised but I'm not at home in Greenfield atm so I can't check.

Edited by James M
  • Like 2

Posted

There's just been a post on facebook from Greater Manchester police that cars are getting stuck on Holmfirth road above Greenfield due to snow!

I'm rather surprised but I'm not at home in Greenfield atm so I can't check.

That's odd! How high is that area? Temps around Manchester away from the higher routes are far too mild for snow, dewpoints currently are +2 to +4C around the region, mine's 4.6C!

post-8895-0-54680400-1418319004_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty high Backtrack on that road they have poles either side of the road so you know where the road is when it snows.... Only 5-6 miles from me....

Edited by Will Padz

Posted

my location is a positively tropical 7c ,oh well :(.....

+6.2C here with a DP of +4.4C, DP will drop off later, I'm hoping the temps do as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i think the snow warning will move further south again

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad!

Posted

Pretty high Backtrack on that road they have poles either side of the road so you know where the road is when it snows.... Only 5-6 miles from me....

We have emergency dinghy's on my road for when it rains, which is every day of the year!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

That's odd! How high is that area? Temps around Manchester away from the higher routes are far too mild for snow, dewpoints currently are +2 to +4C around the region, mine's 4.6C!

attachicon.gifrain.png

On that map im nearest the 3c east of manchester, its a private weather station in shirebrook housing estate at about 140m asl.... Im about two miles from there and 170m higher up....

Posted

It's a smidge under 500m at it's highest points I think...

greenfieldholmfirth.jpg

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

Not surprised it's a little sleety up there, even so I doubt it will be puff-powder snow but still enough to cause travel chaos in our country.

Whereas here, a lot further down the road it's 100% pure rain...

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted

On that map im nearest the 3c east of manchester, its a private weather station in shirebrook housing estate at about 140m asl.... Im about two miles from there and 170m higher up....

You must be colder then, any snow on your end?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i think some of us will get snow even at low levels later, north lancashire is the place to be.

Posted

It's a smidge under 500m at it's highest points I think...

greenfieldholmfirth.jpg

http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

Not surprised it's a little sleety up there, even so I doubt it will be puff-powder snow but still enough to cause travel chaos in our country.

Whereas here, a lot further down the road it's 100% pure rain...

Good website that....

• Like 1