Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Lol its wild here too!

• Like 1

Posted

Just wondering what anybody around greater Manchester makes of the snow chances of the next few days?

Part of the region is under a warning for tomorrow. And I have decent elevation 150m, but don't tend to do well ever.

Last time I had more than a cm of snow on the ground was 2012 :(

I guess it will be down to nowcasting
  • Like 1

Posted

Been out with dog it's wild and mild ,fortunately not raining at moment !!..

raining here
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

very wet and windy afternoon, rain has eased off but the wind is still quite strong and very gusty.

the interesting part will be later in the night when the squall line comes through and the colder air starts to

feed down from the North West.

It could be a short but nasty period with very heavy rain and high winds.

then hopefully the showers will start to pack in and gradually turn more and more wintry as the day goes on with a good chance of settling snow across many parts of the region.

how much and where depends on several factors, wind direction, upper temperatures and obviously the amount of precipitation about but all are looking favourable at present.

very much a waiting game but certainly not boring at present.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

interesting to see that the Met O warning for wind has been updated with potential gusts of 80mph over Northern

England.

currently still a yellow warning but they must be expecting rough conditions so I wouldn't be surprised to see it upgrade to amber, if only within a local area.

Posted

Likley be very localised ,funnelling perhaps ??..

this is one warning area i'm happy to miss out on.

give me a snow or even heavy rain warning and i'm happy but others can have the high winds.

at best they cost money, at worst they kill and i'm not really a fan of either.

• Like 1

this is one warning area i'm happy to miss out on.give me a snow or even heavy rain warning and i'm happy but others can have the high winds.at best they cost money, at worst they kill and i'm not really a fan of either.

couldn't agree more 2005 wind storm cost me a couple of grand in damage to garden walls ,chimney and neighbours shed which falling wall crushed !!..

Posted

couldn't agree more 2005 wind storm cost me a couple of grand in damage to garden walls ,chimney and neighbours shed which falling wall crushed !!..

we loose fence panels most winters and TBH we've been pretty lucky with damage, roof tiles etc over the years.

however I've had a couple of near misses with the car just being missed by a huge advertising board during the Burns Day storm and a roller shutter that blew through in the bad storm we had in these parts in January

in both cases the difference between lucky and un lucky was to small for comfort.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The strongest winds will hit during the overnight period, say midnight to 6am, with the passing of the cold front. 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted

Well its only spitting here after heavy rain, the winds died down a bit, but bi heck its proper muggy warm here now!

• Like 1

Posted

Squall line starting to cross the Irish Sea now looking at the radar so I would immagine that the region should be seeing very gusty winds ans a short period of heavy driving rain heading NW SE within the next hour or two.

If anything it seems to be intensifying as it heads in so it will be interesting to see what it delivers and how much the temperature drops.

Possibly even some back edge snow over high ground although I feel that this will be more likely later in the day as the much colder air follows through and the showers hopefully pack in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I was woken by the wind about an hour or so ago, it was mental, all kinds of things blowing down the road. It didn't appear to be raining that much. When I went to bed last night I had to open my window as it was too warm in the house, I suppose that will change when the cold arrives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Temp on a slippery slope here, was 12.2°C at 6 AM, now 8.3 and still falling fast. Already lower than forecast at this time.

Posted

Dropped to 6.6c here now, that's 5c in 2 1/2 hours.

Wind has dropped a little but still quite gusty.

Posted

Temperature now down to 5.3c from over 11c at 5.30am.

Still gusty although the sustained winds from earlier have now died off to an extent.

What we need now is a continued temperature fall and the threatened showers to move in and then hopefully snow.

Posted

Some showers already rolling in.

We've just caught the edge of a brief one here but it was rain and it's bright again now.

Temperature still falling though so optimistic for later.

Downside is that it's going to be damn cold at the football so looking like more layers than an onion again.

Posted

We've just caught the edge of a brief one here but it was rain and it's bright again now.

Temperature still falling though so optimistic for later.

Downside is that it's going to be damn cold at the football so looking like more layers than an onion again.

Yes, same here. The sun is shining now but I already see further showers south of the Isle of Man heading for our region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Strong gusty winds here. Far worse than yesterday

Posted

Still really windy here with a coolness in the air, its about 8 degrees now,was about 12 when i went to bed last night. Plenty of clouds rolling in now, no sunshine at all.