Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,frost and fog
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)

Much as I love snow I think it will be too mild for snow anywhere in our region unless some cold air comes in from somewhere -can any of the more experienced forecasters tell me if that's likely to be the case?

Posted

The cold air is west of the low pressure which hasn't crossed over yet. What I don't understand is if it isn't cold enough here, how can it be cold enough in the Midlands?

Posted

The cold air is west of the low pressure which hasn't crossed over yet. What I don't understand is if it isn't cold enough here, how can it be cold enough in the Midlands?

The midlands is expected to receive the heaviest of the precipitation so evaporative cooling comes to play and rain turns to snow. They do well under marginal situations because they are away from the sea. 

I have to say though, I am surprised at how far south the Met Office has moved the yellow warning.

Edited by karyo
  • Like 3

Posted

The midlands is expected to receive the heaviest of the precipitation so evaporative cooling comes to play and rain turns to snow. They do well under marginal situations because they are away from the sea.

Makes sense!

Posted

Other factors have to be taken into accounpt such as evaporative cooling etc. I remember rain turning to snow at the end of February 1989 here. It had been raining all afternoon and the rain turned sleetier and sleetier then we had snow in the evening and it stuck. I was surprised to find out the next morning that the higher suburbs near me had nothing. It had all been down to how heavy the preciptation was.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC weather app showing heavy snow graphic for tomorrow afternoon, and little snow for my area today. I think I'll take the graphics for Sat with a large pinch of salt.

Posted

BBC weather app showing heavy snow graphic for tomorrow afternoon, and little snow for my area today. I think I'll take the graphics for Sat with a large pinch of salt.

Just watched the bbc24 forecast and they showed significant showers (wintry) for tomorrow but the GFS precipitation doesn't make much of them and keeps them around the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

It grey and dull here. Liverpool isnt showing in the warning area now. Fingers crossed though

Posted

Looking at the band on raintoday.co.uk the precipitation is very heavy around the Dublin area and it has reached much of Northern Ireland and the Irish sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Fingers crossed I see some snow later :) if not then tomorrow

Posted

Heavy soft hail now temperature dropped to 4c ,interesting ....

You are under those showers that the radar shows in coastal Cumbria. They are separate to the main band which is further southwest.

Was upto 3c at 10am now 1c no breeze feels snowy out there.... Pie on... Wine poured...

You should do well in Glossop and hopefully keep the snow cover for several days thanks to the cold surface high.  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Overcast current temperature 3c, not holding out to much hope,

But you never know

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

had some heavy rain and hail earlier, mostly rain

Posted

Temps here 5c so I highly doubt we'll see anything except for the fells  around here. It's been a disappointing first month of the winter expectations  were quite high with all the background signals, but it's turning into another forgetful winter and I've a feeling the rest of the season will be nothing to write home about with a continuing pattern of mobile westerlies and around average temperatures.