Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yeah. It just dawned on me before - the persistence of the rain if not the quantity. Saying that, it's been pretty wet here the past week especially. Lots of flooded drains and standing water about.

I reckon you'll have had more rain than round here due to your location, but I bet not many places (if any) in the NW have had a single dry day.

Just a shame that it wasn't snow although 5 feet of the stuff may have been starting to cause a few issues by now.

Posted

The crap thing about this month so far is that there's been no window of high pressure to bring a period of crisp sunny days and frosty nights. This was completely absent for the whole of last "winter" and we're struggling again so far this time round, even though the Atlantic is nowhere near as rampant. These frosty interludes were fairly common even during the mainly snowless 1988-2008 era and unlike snowmageddon-type weather it's not unreasonable to expect them to come along now and then.

At least it's colder today and there might be something brewing from Christmas Day onwards, but more blandness to endure until then.

Posted

Yeah. It just dawned on me before - the persistence of the rain if not the quantity. Saying that, it's been pretty wet here the past week especially. Lots of flooded drains and standing water about.

I reckon you'll have had more rain than round here due to your location, but I bet not many places (if any) in the NW have had a single dry day.

December, culminating in this past five days of heavy drizzly continuous rain, has at least given me four days with snowflakes falling and two mornings with 1-2cm of snowy slush that has at least surpassed last winters measly offerings... But this week has so far been thoroughly horrible weatherwise... Hoping next week somewhere along the line brings something more festive and wintry in nature...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Sorry for not posting so much recently due to my computer keeps getting blue screens everytime I open the internet!! :wallbash::angry: I'm posting this on safe mode right now.

Modelwise it is looking good at the end of the xmas week with an arctic blast on the way. :)

Edit: Got another blue screen now and its on safe mode too!! :angry:

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Let you off Scott ,there's a bit of blue in there !!!....

nowt wrong with a bit of blue
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Can anyone tell me how to sought out the blue screen problem? I even tried to clean the computer but no luck. :-(

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Chinese eaten, bottle of Christmas ale drunk, bottle of red open.

Only things spoiling it are the crap on the TV and the weather, both of which seem to be continuous rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Can anyone tell me how to sought out the blue screen problem? I even tried to clean the computer but no luck. :-(

Blue screen of death? Could be a hard drive error, usually a reboot sorts it unless there's something internally wrong, start it up in safe mode and do a recovery to an earlier restoration point, you'll lose any saves you've made since the last point but it could save your hard drive.

• Like 2

Posted

same here Chinese consumed beer going down well , and my computers not broken :).....

oushhh rub it in why don't ya lol. To be honest I don't think I will bother posting again to squiffy lol

MeRrY ChRiStMaS

That's what my font looks like :)

Chinese eaten, bottle of Christmas ale drunk, bottle of red open.

Only things spoiling it are the crap on the TV and the weather, both of which seem to be continuous rinse and repeat.

and your right crap on the tv
  • Like 1

Posted

Sod all to do with food and drink or the weather although it was probably mild and wet at the time but it's 30 years today since the Summit Tunnel Tanker fire just over the the hill from home.

The glow from the fires in the ventilation shafts could be seen from our side of the hill and were how I'd imagine a volcano looking.

Unfortunately I can't post the links but some of the pictures of the fire and wrecked tanker carriages are amazing and the fact that the Summit Tunnel was largely un damaged and is still in daily use is a credit to Victorian Enginering.

For anyone interested its a worthwhile read - just put in Summit Tunnel fire.

• Like 1

Sod all to do with food and drink or the weather although it was probably mild and wet at the time but it's 30 years today since the Summit Tunnel Tanker fire just over the the hill from home.

The glow from the fires in the ventilation shafts could be seen from our side of the hill and were how I'd imagine a volcano looking.

Unfortunately I can't post the links but some of the pictures of the fire and wrecked tanker carriages are amazing and the fact that the Summit Tunnel was largely un damaged and is still in daily use is a credit to Victorian Enginering.

remember that , train track and ballast All became one the heat was so intense ..

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Testiment to the engineering indeed in modern tunnel it would have just collapsed

Posted

remember that , train track and ballast All became one the heat was so intense ..

I used to go out drinking with a lad who was a fireman at Bacup FS and was one of the first crews in at the Todmorden end of the tunnel.

Apparently they were initially told that it was carrying diesel but broke a few middle distance records when they found out it was in fact petrol.

Posted

Think this sums up the ferocity ...attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah I think your right.

Occasionally we catch the train to Manchester from Todmorden (nearest station to home) and always think of this event when going through the Summit Tunnel.

There was actually another derailment in the tunnel during the bitter cold spell of December 2010 when ice falling from the top of one of the ventilation shafts froze on the track (notice the weather connection) but fortunately no one was injured.

Posted

Another damp, dreary start to the day and not likely to improve much looking at the forecast.

Talk about depressing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Oh dear, not good! Have you tried a defrag?