Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

been raining quite heavy for 30 minutes now

I so wish you had said snowing as that band of ppn is working south and pepping up.  :nonono:

Posted

I am not sure why I am feeling like this but I'm having nagging doubts about this winter even though it has only just started. The stratospheric warming doesn't seem to be going to plan, disappointment amongst the knowledgable posters. The people involved with the OPI are saying the atmospheric conditions not behaving as they expected.

Me too actually. Of course nothing is set in stone in the first half of December but there has been a real element of Sod's Law to the weather for some time now. The background signals so far have indeed been favourable as predicted but we keep missing out. 2014 really has been a bland year.

Come to think of it December 2011 was different in this regard in that the background signals were poor and the weather we did get for the first two-thirds of the month was about as good as we could have expected thanks to a favourably-tilted jet stream (NW-SE). We need a bit more luck at the moment.

Posted

By the way I don't know where all this snow was that people are talking about. I saw the odd hail shower earlier on and that was that.

Staying up just to see sheets of cold rain was bemusing to say the least. So much for evaporative cooling.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I so wish you had said snowing as that band of ppn is working south and pepping up.  :nonono:

you can guarantee if the conditions were good for snow the ppn wouldn't even be there, we get such awful luck for snow you'd think we were cursed.

• Like 1

Posted

you can guarantee if the conditions were good for snow the ppn wouldn't even be there, we get such awful luck for snow you'd think we were cursed.

Yep, hence all that heavy rain last night. The right side of marginal and it would have magically disappeared!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

We have been getting some hefty sleet/hail showers all afternoon. Its just belted down again !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

From snow last night to no this morning and more no than snow throughout today.

As others have already mentioned, our luck with getting the right conditions to line up is almost non existent and yet again we have managed to end up with probably less than the worse case scenario would have predicted a couple of days ago.

Hopefully one day our luck will change.

Oh and even though the forecasts are for snow over high ground, it's currently peeing down here at almost 1000asl.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

By the way I don't know where all this snow was that people are talking about. I saw the odd hail shower earlier on and that was that.

Staying up just to see sheets of cold rain was bemusing to say the least. So much for evaporative cooling.

yes and here is me really knackered because I got up at 2 AM to see what would happen. There was some grauple at 10:45 but big deal. If there had at least been some thunder then I would have considerd it worth it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

met office saying light snow for me tomorrow at 8am and have done for the last 2 days, just looked at the charts and the temperature and dewpoint look good, uppers are around -6 and there is a little bit of ppn, i just want to see some snow falling, is that too much to ask!

• Like 2

Posted

Ice-rain for parts of Cheshire currently showing up on the NW radar, things could get tricky on the M6 close to Stoke if it keeps up the rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Boring rain! Yawn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp down to 2.0c now, might get an air frost tonight if it stays clear. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

No snow settled from today's showers at home but at another 200ft ASL there was a decent covering on the paths and fields when I drove past tonight.

Other than last night's couple of hours fall which gave about 4cm max and which had all melted by morning, that's as good as it's got even up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Ice-rain for parts of Cheshire currently showing up on the NW radar, things could get tricky on the M6 close to Stoke if it keeps up the rate.

Yep, lasted about 20mins, up for work at 5am tomorrow, going

To be like an ice rink if it temperature drops low enough

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Alright chaps and ladies.

Had much snow from this NW blast in recent days?

Posted

More than all of last winter but still hardly enough to make a snowman.

And that's in the highest town in Lancashire.

Up here in the Pennines we do better from one of your easterly's that the type of North Westerly we've just endured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Only hail

Posted

Not exactly a Dec 2010 when a north westerly aided by the Irish Sea generator delivered over a foot of fluffy white goodness - but still plenty of juice left in our winter yet.  Sadly next week just looks like a watered down version of the week just gone.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Well some of you have seen more than me!

Had a shower on Thursday morning which was snowy but pathetic!

That's me lot!!