Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

set my alarm for 1am, going to sleep for an hour 

Posted

Evaporative cooling was a key feature in the December 2011 event too.

Come to think of it transient snow was forecast for the early hours of the 16th but it didn't arrive, only for an unexpected fall to occur in the afternoon. That's as good as that winter got for me unfortunately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just peeing it down here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

bungalow2.jpg?a=23_47_49_2014_11_11

isle of man have a good covering on high ground

light rain/sleet here

Its been sleeting here all evening. Turned to heavy snow here in the last 20 mins! Covering of wet snow on car roofs now too :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Went to bed for a bit and just woke up, alas! Up to 4.7°C

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

Plenty of Snow on Yorkshire Dales10805630_696238717162328_122653587122584

Just 1c here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Well @ 297m We've had nothing but none-stop rain since around 7pm! and it festering freezing cold out there. Gutted so far, thought I'd have seen something sleety by now  :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well @ 297m We've had nothing but none-stop rain since around 7pm! and it festering freezing cold out there. Gutted so far, thought I'd have seen something sleety by now  :pardon:

Same, any snow in this area seems to be about 400m+. Though now it might not even be at that level as its warmer now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

This appears to have similarities with 16th December 2011, when a low pressure centre to the south allowed an incursion of colder air and brought a temporary layer of lowland snow. Got about 1-2cm here in the afternoon, which lasted into the night. In fact this month so far has been rather reminiscent of early December 2011 with its polar maritime hail showers. I just hope it doesn't end up mimicking the final third of the month, which was thoroughly mild and bland.

Fingers crossed for tonight anyway. Incidentally the aforementioned event was the last time I saw lying snow (I was in Australia over 2012/13).

that's exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I can remember a good Number of times that setups like this have delivered around here in the past. Many occasions in winter 2012/13 for example. This month does have many similarities with December 2011, but I hope the winter doesn't turn out like that one, as that snowfall of the 16th was the only one of The winter. Still, if it doesn't turn out like last year then that's okay as we had absolutely nothing last year at all.
  • Like 1

Posted

The temp has held up about 4°C and rained all night and only now just starting to drop. But seeing as there's not much precipitation left its a none event I think I can safely say for here.

2.9°C currently.

Edited by James M

Posted

In fact this month so far has been rather reminiscent of early December 2011 with its polar maritime hail showers. I just hope it doesn't end up mimicking the final third of the month, which was thoroughly mild and bland.

You don't want to look at the GFS 0z op run!

I can't see much particularly wintry weather this side of Christmas now. Tonight could be the coldest night before Christmas.

I am not sure why I am feeling like this but I'm having nagging doubts about this winter even though it has only just started. The stratospheric warming doesn't seem to be going to plan, disappointment amongst the knowledgable posters. The people involved with the OPI are saying the atmospheric conditions not behaving as they expected.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

According to the BBC weather it is going to be very wet with over 12 hours of rain next week.

No snow here I'm afraid. I'm guessing it just sleeting all through the night here and does not turned to snow.

Going to Chorley later to see if they have managed to see lying snow. Chorley is a bit further up from where I live. That is my only hope for now.

Edited by pip22

Posted

It was sleeting just before midnight, but this quickly turned to snow, alas we have a nice dusting cover, barely a cm but its definitely a cover, and it is snowing again..

Off for a walk now.

0 degrees.

• Like 1

Posted

It was sleeting just before midnight, but this quickly turned to snow, alas we have a nice dusting cover, barely a cm but its definitely a cover, and it is snowing again..

Off for a walk now.

0 degrees.

Oh you show off!

Enjoy, very jealous.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Absolutely nothing here !!!!! 😫😫

Edited by Miamay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I been thinking we could get a dusting from the wintry showers following behind the weather system if we are lucky. Cold uppers still may be cold enough.

I just so desparate for snow!!

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

nowt here except a hail shower at 6:30am, just looked at the met office radar for the last 6 hours and we were right on the edge of the ppn which was light anyway, bbc forecasted for it to be a bit further north.

Posted

Slightest of dustings on the very top of kinder scout at over 600m....,

post-16439-0-71555900-1418373010_thumb.j

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 1

Posted

Feels very cold out this morning.

Can't say I wasn't disapointed this morning waking up to nothing as I got my hopes up lastnight when the sleet turned to snow.

But I don't know why I was disappointed as it wasn't sticking.

Posted

No snow here in chorley, in fact even the hills behind Chorley still bare of snow. :-(

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

This region is the worst! I knew it wouldn't snow overnight, I'm not bothered about that. What's annoyed me is the fact that the colder air is now in place, the temperature is down to 2.8C, and it's raining now from a shower!

Dew point too high, bloody joke. It'll snow in London before up here.

• Like 3

Posted

There's a slight covering on the south lakes hills this morning, with similar on the hills over to the east of Lancaster. Very defined snowline I'd assume somewhere around 2/300 meters. Nothing on the higher ground to the east of Preston.