Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

i think most of us in this region will see snow this week.

I think any settling snow will be restricted to ground above 200m,low ground may see some wintriness mixed in on the back edge

would like to be proved wrong though,just the way I see at the moment,but still time for change

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

70 mph winds and heavy snow, just need the two to come together and hopefully we can get the monkey of last winter off our backs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I think any settling snow will be restricted to ground above 200m,low ground may see some wintriness mixed in on the back edge

would like to be proved wrong though,just the way I see at the moment,but still time for change

C.S

probably, but i meant most will see snow falling even if it lasts a minute

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

i think most of us in this region will see snow this week.

I think most of us WITH ELEVATION will see something WINTRY this week, but as I said last night, the uppers aren't supportive enough for low level snow, perhaps some sleety showers similar to yesterday.

Posted

C.S

You beat me to it :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think most of us WITH ELEVATION will see something WINTRY this week, but as I said last night, the uppers aren't supportive enough for low level snow, perhaps some sleety showers similar to yesterday.

Altitude didn't make much difference this time around and I don't think that conditions are looking much better in the coming days.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though and even if we don't get the snow the wind should add to the interest.

Even Di Oxberry was bordering on ramping the strength of the wind forecast later this week.

• Like 1

Posted

Altitude didn't make much difference this time around and I don't think that conditions are looking much better in the coming days.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though and even if we don't get the snow the wind should add to the interest.

Even Di Oxberry was bordering on ramping the strength of the wind forecast later this week.

I'm really surprised that your 300m of elevation wasn't enough to land you a decent few snow showers, or at least a dusting to wake up to,

There must of been a warm sector or something, either than or you simply didn't get the intensity.

Sleety rain and hail is all we got here, but I'm only 50m asl and I'm about 20 miles from the coast.

Posted

Even winter hill was green this morning.. Expected a covering

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'm really surprised that your 300m of elevation wasn't enough to land you a decent few snow showers, or at least a dusting to wake up to,

There must of been a warm sector or something, either than or you simply didn't get the intensity.

Sleety rain and hail is all we got here, but I'm only 50m asl and I'm about 20 miles from the coast.

lol 20 Miles sounds a hell of a lot when you live 1 mile from the coast like me. Personally, I will be looking forward to see how strong the wind gets, and to see if we get any more lively Irish sea convection with thunder like this morning. evaporative cooling may help me to see some very transient snow, but I feel the wind will be a greatly inhibiting factor.
  • Like 2

Posted

Managed some very wet snow for a time this morning around 9am thanks to a heavy shower that moved southwards, it left a cover above about 200-250 metres, but only very temporary. Fells are cloaked white. Still first official day with snow falling, one more and we will equal last winters paltry offering.

Posted

Temperatures fluctuated widely yesterday evening and overnight and although we had showers, they lacked the intensity to bring on evaporative cooling which always helps in marginal situations.

We had a heavy snow shower this morning which gave a temporary covering but within a few minutes it had vanished again.

It is often said that many things have line up perfectly for snow in the UK.

However that is nothing compared to the miracles needed for snow in the North West of England.

• Like 1

Posted

lol 20 Miles sounds a hell of a lot when you live 1 mile from the coast like me. Personally, I will be looking forward to see how strong the wind gets, and to see if we get any more lively Irish sea convection with thunder like this morning. evaporative cooling may help me to see some very transient snow, but I feel the wind will be a greatly inhibiting factor.

I'm probably not even 20 miles from the coast, probably a little closer!

I suspect the wind will be very strong for your location! As posted above, the wind will probably mix out any evaporative cooling effects, but it depends really, we'll see.

Temperatures fluctuated widely yesterday evening and overnight and although we had showers, they lacked the intensity to bring on evaporative cooling which always helps in marginal situations.

We had a heavy snow shower this morning which gave a temporary covering but within a few minutes it had vanished again.

It is often said that many things have line up perfectly for snow in the UK.

However that is nothing compared to the miracles needed for snow in the North West of England.

Literally everything has to be PERFECT for us to get snow. The likes of North Eastern England have it so easy compared to us. A bit of an easterly and they get pasted! We get a NW'erly and we get rain, it's a joke.

• Like 1

I suspect the wind will be very strong for your location! As posted above, the wind will probably mix out any evaporative cooling effects, but it depends really, we'll see.

Literally everything has to be PERFECT for us to get snow. The likes of North Eastern England have it so easy compared to us. A bit of an easterly and they get pasted! We get a NW'erly and we get rain, it's a joke.

that's why I never get to excited by snow prospects ,till I actualy see it on the ground !!!!.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

yes, I may have to start tying things down in the garden.

And you are so right!

Posted

I think the problem here was that an almost perfect set up for North West snow came a month to early.

Mid January and with more cold locked up in the Arctic and North Atlantic and the upper air conditions would have been better suited.

Then no doubt the W/NW element needed for maximum shower activity would quickly turn northerly and let the dreaded wishbone take over.

Or even veer N/E and paste the other side of the Pennines.

Posted

There's no doubt yesterdays and last nights activity was a damp squib for many in the NW, even with good elevation. Maybe its down to the warmer than average SST's around our shores but in years gone by similar set ups would have delivered for elevated areas at least. As for this week I think we're in a slightly better position and at least elevated areas may see a covering by the end of Friday due to slightly colder upper air moving Southwards.

Posted

There's no doubt yesterdays and last nights activity was a damp squib for many in the NW, even with good elevation. Maybe its down to the warmer than average SST's around our shores but in years gone by similar set ups would have delivered for elevated areas at least. As for this week I think we're in a slightly better position and at least elevated areas may see a covering by the end of Friday due to slightly colder upper air moving Southwards.

Hope we see something before the likelyhood of slightly milder conditions return next week.

Posted

I think the problem here was that an almost perfect set up for North West snow came a month to early.

Mid January and with more cold locked up in the Arctic and North Atlantic and the upper air conditions would have been better suited.

Then no doubt the W/NW element needed for maximum shower activity would quickly turn northerly and let the dreaded wishbone take over.

Or even veer N/E and paste the other side of the Pennines.

Yeah exactly mate. The uppers were very diluted by the time they arrived, and with the Atlantic still recovering from the warmest yer on record, it'll need something with a little more 'oomf' from the north west I suspect this year, especially in December. Come January or early February, maybe it'll deliver from that direction!

Posted

The slightest covering of snow along with plenty of ice gives a true winter feel to the morning.

Not particularly cold, now 1.4c but a lovely start to the day.

Just a shame that my day off work and trip to Manchester Christmas markets will probably end up as cold and wet rather cold and white but I get the feeling that the next few days may bring surprises in the way of snow.

It's certainly going to be stormy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Thursday night into Friday is not without interest, rain pushing in

From the south cold air from the north, as Nick has posted in the

Mad thread there IS a possibilty of a significant snow event for

NI, NWales, and Northern England, one to watch for sure

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just dull, mildish and windy here