Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

It's gone really black here just had a heavy shower that sounded a bit like a rain and hail mix.

Posted

wintery storm in Stockport too - white with hailstones covering the road

Tell me about it! Saw the lightning and didn't think about the inevitable hailstorm and horrendous driving conditions on the way for my (thankfully) short journey home!

Edited by March Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Been up working around RSPB Dove Stone today; a few showers in the afternoon, started off as rain then heavy hail and in the last shower big wet flakes which was great to see :D . The very tops of the hills had just started to turn white before they cleared away.

Edited by James M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Well, already had our first snow shower today in the Oldham East area. We are certainly off to a better start than last year!. Have to say, I reckon there will be a lot more to come off the North Westerlies progged on the models and often Forecasts show nothing for my area but experience tells me those at Elevation towards the pennines will see Snowy weather.

Reading the model thread often looks gloomy because most people are from the South and East looking for the beast so not much gets mentioned about NW wintery weather.

Personally, I'm more than happy to see charts like this:

gfs-2-48.png?12

Some of us will get a right pasting of white stuff :)

• Like 4

Posted

When I got home it was dark but there is white stuff frozen solid in the flower pots and on the deck, my husband said it had been snowing, but I think that was an excuse for not moving loads of logs!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

The glories of a NW airstream

I got caught in Manchester in that Thunderstorm, Hail settled in city centre on grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

When I got home it was dark but there is white stuff frozen solid in the flower pots and on the deck, my husband said it had been snowing, but I think that was an excuse for not moving loads of logs!

Nice to see you back on posting Sf.

Your hubby was right, there was a bit of snow up here and hopefully the next fews days should see more.

A north westerly flow is not ideal for us with most of the activity further down over Manchester and West Lancashire but with a strong enough feed, we can get lucky and I have a feeling that the next few days may be one of those occasions.

Posted

Been ages since we have seen a proper polar maritime airstream piling in instability and heavy showers - and the outlook is excellent on this front for this region if you like Northwesterlies, Sunday-Monday could see snow showers down to quite low levels - and keep an eye on the trough feature being picked up, this could produce more persistant wintriness on Monday. A lull on Tuesday into Wednesday thanks to a warm sector, but by Thursday northwesterlies again and these look more potent than Sunday/Monday.

Love northwesterlies, northerlies are wonderful for dry bitter cold air but don't usually produce snow showers in these parts, Northeasterlies are the real deal, but again we aren't best placed, whilst Northwesterlies though more marginal for snow can produce wonderful goods when the set up is right.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Damian, do you not find when its a north westerly, the showers miss us and only hit the south of cumbria? i've seen it happen many times over the past few years, especially in 2010 when a irish sea streamer plastered the south of merseyside and lancashire, i can still remember someone posting from st helens that they had 12 inches of snow and cumbria got nowt from it i think, we had about 2cm of snow on the ground from a strong easterly a couple of days before it though. 

Posted

Yes

Damian, do you not find when its a north westerly, the showers miss us and only hit the south of cumbria? i've seen it happen many times over the past few years, especially in 2010 when a irish sea streamer plastered the south of merseyside and lancashire, i can still remember someone posting from st helens that they had 12 inches of snow and cumbria got nowt from it i think, we had about 2cm of snow on the ground from a strong easterly a couple of days before it though. 

Yes it all depends on angle of attack if it is more of  WNW flow then western/central and southern Cumbria is in the firing line, a pure NW airflow often delivers the goods over SW Scotland with showers piling into Lancashire coastal parts and more so Merseyside and Cheshire Gap. However, if there is a line squall or trough in the flow then most of Cumbria is hit.

Dec 2009 saw an excellent Irish Sea/Morecambe Bay streamer - a rare event thanks to a wrap around feature circulating around Low pressure to the north, winds were actually SW, but given the source of air being arctic maritime in nature, coastal parts of southern Cumbria saw thundery snow, an unusual set up.

Easterlies and Northeasterlies can throw surprises to Cumbria, though well away from the N Sea, Northeasterlies in particular can deliver showers penetrating across Pennines and well into Cumbria and on occasion the higher ground can create further instability and we see homespun showers develop making it all the way to coast - you need deep instability air for this though, late Nov 2010 a good case point.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Cold frosty start but it should be a nice usable day.once the sun comes up.

The BBC forecast for Sunday that I've just seen looks less than inspiring for most of our region with more of a westerly element to the flow.

Usually this would be the ideal direction for sending showers right across from coast to Pennines but the graphics seem to keep them further north over Scotland with only scattered ones and mainly showing as rain, in our part of the world.

I may be taking this set up too specifically with the reality being more favourable but at present the Meto warnings are looking spot on with Western Scotland getting plastered and the rest of us looking on in envy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

-4.9°C the minimum this morning â„ï¸

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Very white here too, that wintry looking sky here now, clouding over.

• Like 1

Posted

Just been out in the car and a proper winter scene, no snow but everything white with frost and certainly closer to what we would expect than last years endless grey skies and wet ground.

Hopefully the next few days will see some snow to add to the festive feel.

Got down to -4c here last night which made it the lowest temperature I've recorded since March 2013.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

No frost here this morning as for most of the night temperatures stayed around 5C. After 3am the skies were clear with only a whisper of a breeze.. Consequently temperatures fell to 2.1C.. No frost though. Currently 5.0C and rising.. Cloud has moved in

Edited by SP1986

Posted

Still sunny and frosty on the ground although starting to cloud over a bit now.

Hopefully the rain will hold off until after dark at least.

Posted

In Manchester central, just off the MRI hospitals, a more modest min temp of -1.2 at 8am. Puddles and remains of the wintry shower last night were frozen solid though, as well as cars. Currently 1.9º. Amazing shower, with thunder and it all turned white in less than 5mins, feeling proper wintery too.