Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Thanks it seems various sites have different elevation's for us I've looked at this http://elevationmap.net/20-high-row-darlington-darlington-darlington-dl3-7qq-uk?latlngs=%2854.52490950000001,-1.555251799999951%29 - and the centre is at 53m

i live off mcmullen road so if its 53m in the town centre it probs is 63 metres where i live, mindue this one says 40m 

http://dateandtime.info/citycoordinates.php?id=2651513

Posted

Just had some heavy sleety snow (mostly sleet) in Newcastle city centre, 

That Met Office snow warning for tomorrow just clinging onto the Tyne and Wear area, though their hourly forecast still has overcast conditions, areas south of here should get the best precipitation 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

You guys have a better chance than we do in NW England, Met Office warning is in place for a reason. Arguing about potential which clearly is there. Look at the precip, precip type, dam-line & upper air profiles. There's a chance you will see some falling snow, lying snow however is a longer shot.

Voice of reason hurrah! Nice seeing you on here backtrack long time no speak mate. Im not predicting 1ft of snow id be happy just to see the ground covered again :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Voice or reason hurrah! Nice seeing you on here backtrack long time no speak mate. Im not predicting 1ft of snow id be happy just to see the ground covered again :)

Been back a while mate, just over in the NW thread though :p

Maybe this will tickle your interest:

post-8895-0-21446000-1418313102_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

Been back a while mate, just over in the NW thread though :p

Maybe this will tickle your interest:

attachicon.gifpost-115-0-19063700-1418310569.png

Im tickled pink as the saying goes!

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

You guys have a better chance than we do in NW England, Met Office warning is in place for a reason. Arguing about potential which clearly is there. Look at the precip, precip type, dam-line & upper air profiles. There's a chance you will see some falling snow, lying snow however is a longer shot.

We've already had falling snow/sleet this morning. It's not that I'm talking about. Here in Thornaby and some surrounding areas, you have to have some extreme circumstances to see any decent lying snow other than a sugar dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

What time is the precipitation due to arrive in our region tonight?

Tricky to say for certain but I'd say after midnight is when the risk begins to increase it all depends on quickly the band of rain moves in

Posted

As ever with these situations I would be very surprised with us on the low ground of getting any snow and it sticking. I will stick my neck out at say it will be a wash out when waking up in the morning not a white out. 

Hope I am wrong though.

Posted

As ever with these situations I would be very surprised with us on the low ground of getting any snow and it sticking. I will stick my neck out at say it will be a wash out when waking up in the morning not a white out. 

Hope I am wrong though.

You are being extremely conservative I reckon if you are under PPN you will get snow bar western coastal regions. You're in a good posistion, unlike others so suck it up, and enjoy what is to come. :)

Posted

You are being extremely conservative I reckon if you are under PPN you will get snow bar western coastal regions. You're in a good posistion, unlike others so suck it up, and enjoy what is to come. :)

optimism raised. Let’s hope your right. :good:

Posted

Temp been stuck at 3.1c for the past hour

Posted

Snow might be likely, we had snow/sleet this morning. It's pretty doubtful it will lay in low lying areas that is the problem.

Like most times in these situations it will either be sleet/rain or snow but to wet to lay.

Posted

What I read was low lying areas would get at least 1" and upland areas 6" onwards.

If the ground is wet and you suddenly get a spike in intensity it can lay. Its not looking that marginal for you. Have some faith :D unsure whether all of you will get a taster but I've seen much worse.

Posted

What I read was low lying areas would get at least 1" and upland areas 6" onwards.

If the ground is wet and you suddenly get a spike in intensity it can lay. Its not looking that marginal for you. Have some faith :D unsure whether all of you will get a taster but I've seen much worse.

Trust me. It's very unlikely low lying areas around Teesside will have any lying snow tonight/tomorrow. Even the warning isn't that good. States it will bring rain to many areas but later there is a RISK of it turning to snow. It's not about faith, it's about knowing the area and what weather it receives.

Posted

Trust me. It's very unlikely low lying areas around Teesside will have any lying snow tonight/tomorrow. Even the warning isn't that good. States it will bring rain to many areas but later there is a RISK of it turning to snow. It's not about faith, it's about knowing the area and what weather it receives.

Warnings are prone to being sketchy - just cos you know the area doesn't cancel out what may happen.

I'd have an opinion in 24-36hr time before getting hot under the collar.

• Like 2

Posted

Is this band like to reach Tyne and Wear, I know the warnings extend this far north but the rain radar looks a bit sketchy for those of us north of Durham.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I'm on the edge of the moors and I'm a little sceptical for my locstion. We had a bit of sleet over the weekend and some more this morning but going off the met office app it's changed from heavy snow later to rain followed by sleet. That's for the youth hostel up the road which is slightly more elevated as well. Fingers crossed for a light covering though.

For a January to December this year has been pretty remarkable for no snow here. I think we got a very thin covering that quickly melted in Jan or Feb but apart from that nothing. Going from memory alone I think 2011 was worse with no lying snow from Jan to Dec if you discount leftovers from December 2010!

Posted

Warnings are prone to being sketchy - just cos you know the area doesn't cancel out what may happen.

I'd have an opinion in 24-36hr time before getting hot under the collar.

Of course they are, usually hinting at worst case scenario as they are in fact warnings to warn people. Of course anything can happen in the world of weather so I might wake up to lying snow, but then I also might win the lottery on Saturday too. It's pretty doubtful low lying areas in the Teesside area will have lying snow by tomorrow, the setup just isn't good enough for it.

Posted

Of course they are, usually hinting at worst case scenario as they are in fact warnings to warn people. Of course anything can happen in the world of weather so I might wake up to lying snow, but then I also might win the lottery on Saturday too. It's pretty doubtful low lying areas in the Teesside area will have lying snow by tomorrow, the setup just isn't good enough for it.

The main problem is the rain, but if it's heavy enough that won't matter - it's happened before. As long as nobody's under the illussion that Dec 2010 is about to repeat itself to the power of three (although I'm sure we've all dreamt of that happening for a while) then what does it matter whether the snow lies or not, snow actually falling is a pretty good start to winter.

Posted

The main problem is the rain, but if it's heavy enough that won't matter - it's happened before. As long as nobody's under the illussion that Dec 2010 is about to repeat itself to the power of three (although I'm sure we've all dreamt of that happening for a while) then what does it matter whether the snow lies or not, snow actually falling is a pretty good start to winter.

Thing is it usually does matter for low lying areas.

Snow falling is pretty for the first 5 minutes, but pretty pointless if it's not laying, that's my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

An interesting drive to work this morning in heavy snow and strong winds. :D

Very icy out here now and still a thin covering on grassed areas which makes it the longest lasting

lying snow since Spring 2013!

Lets see how far North that precip. on the radar can get,and more importantly what falls from the sky.

• Like 2

Posted

temp now 3.4c and slowly rising after reaching a low of 3c