Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Very windy, bits of tree and garbage blowing about.

Occasional squally showers to boot.

Bit of a "kitchen sinker" is this baby of a storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Thursday looking rather interesting for the NE could be some snow at all levels for a time during the morning.

Before that its becoming increasingly windy here in Darlington 9.5c currently

wind picking up gav 

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

The GFS 18z P has snow across the region on Friday morning as well.

attachicon.gifgfs-2-60.png

I think that chart is a bit over egging it imo... problem with westerlies is the higher dew points but there may be some back edge wintriness but I would not expect too much. 

Higher ground may be a different story. One good thing about these stronger winds is they are more likely to blow showers right across towards eastern areas so some shower activity even here can't be ruled out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow and Ice warning out from met office for Friday

Issued at: 1129 on Wed 10 Dec 2014

Valid from: 0010 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1000 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

A weather system will cross to the south of this region early on Friday. This will bring rain to many areas but snow is likely over some of the higher ground, such as the Pennines and Southern Uplands, and rain may turn to snow at lower levels before it clears eastwards. The snow may be heavy in places, possibly giving 2-5 cm at low levels and maybe 10 cm or more above around 200 m. Following clearance, there is also the risk of widespread ice on untreated surfaces in time for the morning rush hour. The public should be aware of the potential of disruption to travel and also of hazardous driving conditions. This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday to move the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern England.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure, currently forming in the mid-Atlantic, is likely to run quickly northeast somewhere across central Britain early on Friday. On its northern flank, cold air may be drawn into the system, with a band of rain across southern Scotland and northern England possibly turning to snow, even to low levels, clearing skies then quickly leading to icy conditions late in the night. This is a complex development and details may yet change. Therefore this alert is likely to be updated again on Thursday, as confidence grows in the track and timing of this system.

Areas affected

Northumberland, Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Snow could become a definite possibility as early as tonight going by the charts and latest bbc forecasts ; ps where is everyone alza? isolated frost? for instance?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Snow could become a definite possibility as early as tonight going by the charts and latest bbc forecasts ; ps where is everyone alza? isolated frost? for instance?

not sure about isolated frost but didnt alza move down south

Posted

not sure about isolated frost but didnt alza move down south

Yeah he did I had a memory lapse there such a shame I hope this thread becomes more alive in the next couple of days ; what do you think of tonight?

Posted

Snow and Ice warning out from met office for Friday

Issued at: 1129 on Wed 10 Dec 2014

Valid from: 0010 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1000 on Fri 12 Dec 2014

A weather system will cross to the south of this region early on Friday. This will bring rain to many areas but snow is likely over some of the higher ground, such as the Pennines and Southern Uplands, and rain may turn to snow at lower levels before it clears eastwards. The snow may be heavy in places, possibly giving 2-5 cm at low levels and maybe 10 cm or more above around 200 m. Following clearance, there is also the risk of widespread ice on untreated surfaces in time for the morning rush hour. The public should be aware of the potential of disruption to travel and also of hazardous driving conditions. This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday to move the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern England.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

An area of low pressure, currently forming in the mid-Atlantic, is likely to run quickly northeast somewhere across central Britain early on Friday. On its northern flank, cold air may be drawn into the system, with a band of rain across southern Scotland and northern England possibly turning to snow, even to low levels, clearing skies then quickly leading to icy conditions late in the night. This is a complex development and details may yet change. Therefore this alert is likely to be updated again on Thursday, as confidence grows in the track and timing of this system.

Areas affected

Northumberland, Durham, Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside

Can't really see anything that suggests the precipitation is going to be this far north on Friday, so not sure why the met warning extends so high,

Tomorrow morning looks like the best bet at the minute, light snow forecast for most of the region, heavier inland 

Posted

Can't really see anything that suggests the precipitation is going to be this far north on Friday, so not sure why the met warning extends so high,

Tomorrow morning looks like the best bet at the minute, light snow forecast for most of the region, heavier inland 

I think the southern half of our region has a shout Friday? but I agree I think overnight and tomorrow morning is our best bet

Posted

I think the southern half of our region has a shout Friday? but I agree I think overnight and tomorrow morning is our best bet

Possibly yeah if the area of precipitation to the south is far enough north, but the area over Southern Scotland doesn't seem to be modelled to move much further south... slightly confusing! 

"This is a complex development and details may yet change. Therefore this alert is likely to be updated again on Thursday, as confidence grows in the track and timing of this system" - Probably why then haha...

Edited by Andy.

Posted

Guess who's back :)

welcome back mate i was expecting you too return today lol after the warning in the gazette of snow

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah he did I had a memory lapse there such a shame I hope this thread becomes more alive in the next couple of days ; what do you think of tonight?

i agree i think tonight/morning is a better chance of snow than friday 

Posted

I'm also back for this winter. Early days but it can't be worse than last year! Hoping to see a few flakes tomorrow even if it doesn't settle.

Posted

I think most of could wake to a covering of snow tomorrow morning even at low levels with it melting throughout the day but hey itll be nice to see!

Posted

welcome back mate i was expecting you too return today lol after the warning in the gazette of snow

Look, some of us have no interest in summer. We just crawl out in early December and stick around until March in a good year, I know some of the regulars dislike us but we're part of this community as well. Anyway time to refresh on how to read those flipping models.

I think most of could wake to a covering of snow tomorrow morning even at low levels with it melting throughout the day but hey itll be nice to see!

Lettuce, after last winter I'll take non-settling.

EDIT: Did this place always have a swear-filter?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Well well, tomorrow looks like it's the first point of interest for many of us by the coast. Some rain, some sleet, and some snow (in Consett of course); very touch and go and lamp posts at the ready. Wouldn't worry if there's none around tomorrow though, signals suggest that this is just hors d'oeuvres to the main course.

Posted

I pretty much doubt it, certainly not Thornaby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This is how the beeb see things currently for tomorrow night / early Friday

Untitled56.pngUntitled77.png

Closer look at the region from BBC LN

GfC1D0N.jpg

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1