Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

That's a good sign at least something is falling from the sky!! The front wasn't even meant to reach our region was it :p

Very true. I am still hopefully of a slight dusting if the heavier stuff just clips here.

Edit. No just rain.

Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted

I think out best chance is those convective showers tomorrow evening for a short while, could be some heavy ones off shore, can only hope as the winds turn more NE'ly they can come on shore, the air may just be cold enough for them to turn to snow but got to hope the lower level winds stay off shore also. With a slack flow then any shower may last a while also. 

That said, its not something I'm overly confident about hence not really much excitment over it in fairness but it is our best chance to get the white stuff. Very very brief window though. 

Posted

I think out best chance is those convective showers tomorrow evening for a short while, could be some heavy ones off shore, can only hope as the winds turn more NE'ly they can come on shore, the air may just be cold enough for them to turn to snow but got to hope the lower level winds stay off shore also. With a slack flow then any shower may last a while also. 

That said, its not something I'm overly confident about hence not really much excitment over it in fairness but it is our best chance to get the white stuff. Very very brief window though. 

We could be looking at 2 poor years on the trot.. in fact. wasn't the year before pretty bad too at low levels?

Is such a poor run common for our region?

Very frustrating when you see all the pics from places further south :(

Posted

We could be looking at 2 poor years on the trot.. in fact. wasn't the year before pretty bad too at low levels?

Is such a poor run common for our region?

Very frustrating when you see all the pics from places further south :(

Yep the year before last I don't think was all that great either but was obviously better than last year. Its been around 2 year since i saw proper snowfall during daylight hours.... My only heavy snow shower that produced a dusting last year was during the night. 

Might be some surprised tomorrow/tomorrow evening, the upper air temps looks a bit marginal but if the winds are off shore then we could see fairly slow moving heavy showers, hopefully they will contain of snow. 

Posted

Yep the year before last I don't think was all that great either but was obviously better than last year. Its been around 2 year since i saw proper snowfall during daylight hours.... My only heavy snow shower that produced a dusting last year was during the night. 

Might be some surprised tomorrow/tomorrow evening, the upper air temps looks a bit marginal but if the winds are off shore then we could see fairly slow moving heavy showers, hopefully they will contain of snow. 

Like I say, is such a poor run common? 

Pretty naff when you live up here and your kids don't even get to see proper snow for 3 years running!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The year before last certainly wasn't poor; we had some very heavy snow in January 2013 which stuck around for ages, and also snow in December and March. I think it was often marginal, but it was still a good winter compared with the average.

It's far too early to give up on this winter too - in most winters we don't actually get any significant snow before Christmas.

Posted

North sea showers already getting going and should push further inland as the rain/sleet/snow band clears South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

North sea showers already getting going and should push further inland as the rain/sleet/snow band clears South.

attachicon.gifhiradarzoomv42 (1).png

Is it cold enough for them to fall as snow in terms of DP's etc?

Posted

More to the point, will they even come ashore? NMM suggests not.

Posted

Probably not at the moment,but DP's are set to fall as we head through the night so any showers should become more wintry as the night wears on with possible hail and thunder.

Posted

Like I say, is such a poor run common? 

Pretty naff when you live up here and your kids don't even get to see proper snow for 3 years running!

How long have you lived up here Nick?

Posted

8 years. Hence the question :)

I've been up here on and off for about 20 years. I have lived in East Rainton, Sunderland and Newcastle.

In that time I have seen some pretty impressive snow.

However in the time you've been up here the frequency of snow is not what it was when I first moved up here. Although you do get variations in snow across the region. For instance when I lived in East Rainton we had a few bad winters with copious amounts of snow. But you could go into Sunderland and there'd be barely a covering when East Rainton was under 6" of the stuff.

We always fair extremely well in the NE when the winds are NNE or NE. These fronts from the West never produce here in Newcastle, but had the band been further North you would have definitely got snow in your location. Where as we would have just got rain or at the very best wet snow/sleet.

Posted

Just had a light and brief rain shower :yahoo:

Posted

Warning out from the met office now for snow and ice.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1419638400&regionName=ne

Showers/trough out in the North sea slowly creeping Westwards.

Radar watch in effect. :smiliz19:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

New snow warning from the met office

Issued at: 1147 on Sat 27 Dec 2014

Valid from: 1400 on Sat 27 Dec 2014

Valid to: 0300 on Sun 28 Dec 2014

Showers are expected through this afternoon and much of Saturday night. These will fall as sleet and snow at times, especially in heavier showers and over the hills, Moors and Pennines. Accumulations of several centimetres may occur in places leading to difficult driving conditions and the additional hazard of ice. The public should take extra care and be aware of the risk of the possibility of some disruption to travel.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Showers will continue to develop over the North Sea during this afternoon and Saturday night. As winds increasingly turn to the east these will be brought onshore. Although not all places will see the showers, and some of the lighter ones will fall as rain or sleet at low levels, further accumulations of snow will occur during the heavier ones, especially over the hills and higher ground such as the Cheviots, Moors, Wolds and Pennines. Many areas will see very little snow accumulation but as much as 2 to 5 cm is expected over higher ground and perhaps as much as 10 cm very locally. The showers will slowly die out from the south of the region after midnight but will leave a legacy of icy patches.

Areas covered

Northumberland, Durham, Darlington, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1419638400

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

not looking good really for our region going by the radar Lincolnshire/yorkshire could be the places to be :unknw:

Posted

not looking good really for our region going by the radar Lincolnshire/yorkshire could be the places to be :unknw:

Especially Durham! We look like being directly in line with the one gap in the entire system! I've lost count of the number of times that has happened.

Posted

Especially Durham! We look like being directly in line with the one gap in the entire system! I've lost count of the number of times that has happened.

I wouldn't say that. The heaviest band looks to be hitting you right on the head.

Edited by NorthEastSnow