Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

i know its only beginning of feb but after the past weeks snow attempts that have failed for many of us i'm giving up on this winter now, roll on next winter!

yes we can still get decent snow/cold spells in march and a few snow days in april, but with the nights getting longer and sun stronger by then it never lasts long... cant see anything happening this month to change my mind either.

yes i have seen more snow falling from the sky this winter but the fact its all melted by lunchtime and back to square one just doesn't do it for me :(

Shorter

:wink:

Meanwhile not a lot happening we have a wintry shower for the north of the region other than that its all quiet on the western front as they say

Untitled4.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Shorter

:wink:

Meanwhile not a lot happening we have a wintry shower for the north of the region other than that its all quiet on the western front as they say

Oh yeah, i meant shorter... just so frustrated at the moment.

don't think we will get any snow tonight apart from the N york moors

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Woke up to a covering of snow this morning which despite being barely worth talking about, was the first lying snow I've seen for almost two years (not counting the one we had a few days ago as that was just rubbish!).

Had a few beefy snow showers during the day but it's all gone now. I wouldn't bet against that being that for this winter sadly ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

What's this on the radar mindue it's 2.5c so rain it will be

Posted

What's this on the radar mindue it's 2.5c so rain it will be

Looks very light in intensity just looked out and nothing is falling

Posted

Just had a look at the threads from Jan - March 2013. That cold March was preceded by a lot colder January than I remember so maybe that's why this winters a bit dissapointing. Prior to 2010 this winter would have been impressive, hopefully next year can bring those 2 foot accumulations that hit Consett in Jan 2013 to the lower levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Looks very light in intensity just looked out and nothing is falling

It's that light you can't even see it?

Have another look ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Winter 2012/13 was dismal here, in fact I reckon north Cumbria that winter was one of the least snowiest part of the UK.

We largely missed the snowstorms in January and February and don't even mention March and all the time my friends in the north east were buried.

Contrast that with this winter and while it's not been fantastic I have had lying snow on 12 mornings and the 9cms that fell last Thursday is still on the ground although it's down to 3cms now.

Had the temperature during the last 3 weeks been just 1c lower it would have been a great period of accumulating snow, soooo close.

Andy

Posted

Just had a look at the threads from Jan - March 2013. That cold March was preceded by a lot colder January than I remember so maybe that's why this winters a bit dissapointing. Prior to 2010 this winter would have been impressive, hopefully next year can bring those 2 foot accumulations that hit Consett in Jan 2013 to the lower levels.

It does not matter what we experienced in the past, the fact would still remain this cold spell was disappointing snow wise for the NE, the Friday night snowfall was good but sadly the rain washed most of it away by morning and that summed this spell up, just never was good enough.

Night time minimum were pretty low at times although I did not see too much in the way of white frost(dew points being much lower than the air temp was the reason why little white frost was seen on Monday morning), it was all rather unremarkable and frustrating. 

The only impressive thing was how long the below average temps lasted for but wind direction and PPN did not favor us at all. 

• Like 1

Posted

Snowing/sleeting/freezing rain in newcastle or around?

Ie radar.....

Edited by Will Padz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Had to travel back from Scarborough this morning. Going over the a171 from Whitby to Guisborough was a nightmare.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

The radar is lying no falling snow here

Posted

Even the radar is taking the p-ss out of us now. :(

agree looked at the radar thought something was falling, had a look outside and nowt!!!!!!

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

Even the radar is taking the p-ss out of us now. :(

I know fuming lol

You couldn't make it up after the crap winter we have had

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

So what's going on with the radar is the ppn evaporating before it hits the ground does anybody know grrrrrrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

It does not matter what we experienced in the past, the fact would still remain this cold spell was disappointing snow wise for the NE, the Friday night snowfall was good but sadly the rain washed most of it away by morning and that summed this spell up, just never was good enough.

Night time minimum were pretty low at times although I did not see too much in the way of white frost(dew points being much lower than the air temp was the reason why little white frost was seen on Monday morning), it was all rather unremarkable and frustrating. 

The only impressive thing was how long the below average temps lasted for but wind direction and PPN did not favor us at all. 

I agree.  When I looked at the charts last Wednesday, which pretty much verified, I thought I was pretty much guaranteed some decent snow.  But the wind did not get into the NE enough and the cold pool was not cold enough.   Looks like at least 10 days now before another chance arises.  I am certainly not giving  up hope, especially after the recent March cold spell.

Posted

The final nail in the coffin for this spell was last night

Anyway the next week at least looks settled and less cold with temps rising upto around 7c for the weekend

Can't give a current temperature as wunderground has crashed but its turning brighter from the north so hopefully some sunshine will be with us soon

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

So what's going on with the radar is the ppn evaporating before it hits the ground does anybody know grrrrrrrrr

Yes that's one cause, or it can being blown away from the location it was detected in. 

• Like 1

Posted

ECM does seem to be pushing that high towards greenland ready for the middle to end of the month.

That's my straw anyway...

I certainly wouldn't get my hopes raise on it the ECM ens isn't back the Op yet

Op

Recm2401.gif

Ens

Reem2401.gif

GFS and GEM aint backing ECM either so I await further runs to see what they come up with

Posted

Light rain over Darlington currently

temp 5.6c down from a high of 6.8c

Edited by Summer Sun