Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

A patchy frost by the looks of things in Darlington some cars have a light frost on them and others have nothing at all

Just above freezing now at 0.1c

That's a surprise, it's been severe and penetrating here with the wind at -2

We do have some snow though.

Posted

Just thought it sounded very low for the area, as noted above. By shielded I meant in a proper Stevenson screen or equivalent. I only ask because I had a non-shielded sensor for a few years and it ended up being much lower than other parts, and recorded changes in temperature much faster than other sensors, which is usually a sign that things aren't right. Both these issues were solved by using a screen (i.e., an enclosure).

Hi Nick,

No, it isn't shielded as you describe. However, I don't understand why it is a problem that the sensor reacts quickly to temperature changes. I would understand if the sensor was in a place that warms up directly from the influence of a building or the sun's rays etc, but mine isn't. It is 1m above ground level, nearest building 15m away, in a very sheltered part of the garden, North facing, it never sees the sun. Also, especially on nights like last night, there is no wind around either, so I don't understand how having it inside a slatted box would make any difference. I am not afraid of being educated however. Other parts of the region, including another local weather station were reporting as cold, or colder conditions last night, so again, I don't follow the logic mate. I welcome your feedback!

Posted

Hi Nick,

No, it isn't shielded as you describe. However, I don't understand why it is a problem that the sensor reacts quickly to temperature changes. I would understand if the sensor was in a place that warms up directly from the influence of a building or the sun's rays etc, but mine isn't. It is 1m above ground level, nearest building 15m away, in a very sheltered part of the garden, North facing, it never sees the sun. Also, especially on nights like last night, there is no wind around either, so I don't understand how having it inside a slatted box would make any difference. I am not afraid of being educated however. Other parts of the region, including another local weather station were reporting as cold, or colder conditions last night, so again, I don't follow the logic mate. I welcome your feedback!

The sensor I used to have was also on a north facing fence. I noticed that it was incredibly sensitive to cloud cover on a cold night and the temperature generally fluctuated much more quickly than properly screened sensors. It gave readings that were too low. This is supported by posts in this thread, which coincide with my experience.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/63499-do-i-need-a-stevenson-screen/

As you can see, non-screened sensors in relatively open locations can lead to temps that are up to 2-3°C too low on calm, cold nights.

Most PWS were reporting higher than you got, and if one or two weren't, then it may be that they aren't screened. Certainly, the only official station that was close was the airport, which is very exposed.

The main point is that without a screen, readings (on such nights especially) are unreliable.

Edited by NickR

Posted

It's a bit like measuring ground temperature overnight if your thermometer is open to the sky.
That's interesting but not really a measure of air temperature.
We've all noticed frost forming on cars surprisingly readily - same thing going on - the surface radiates heat away and becomes colder than the air sometimes by several degrees.

Posted

The sensor I used to have was also on a north facing fence. I noticed that it was incredibly sensitive to cloud cover on a cold night and the temperature generally fluctuated much more quickly than properly screened sensors. It gave readings that were too low. This is supported by posts in this thread, which coincide with my experience.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/63499-do-i-need-a-stevenson-screen/

As you can see, non-screened sensors in relatively open locations can lead to temps that are up to 2-3°C too low on calm, cold nights.

Most PWS were reporting higher than you got, and if one or two weren't, then it may be that they aren't screened. Certainly, the only official station that was close was the airport, which is very exposed.

The main point is that without a screen, readings (on such nights especially) are unreliable.

Cheers Nick, had a look through that thread, valuable reading. However, I can't afford a Stevensons, so will just use my readings for my own comparisons, Karl

Posted

Cheers Nick, had a look through that thread, valuable reading. However, I can't afford a Stevensons, so will just use my readings for my own comparisons, Karl

I can't either. So I made this, which does a pretty decent job and costs a couple of quid.

http://www.loganvillageweather.com/station/stevenson.html

Posted

Updated snow and ice warning:

Valid from 19:00 on Monday until 10:00 on Tuesday

Showers of sleet and snow will affect the area later today and overnight and for a while on Tuesday morning, bringing local accumulations of 1-2 cm, perhaps around 5 cm for the North York Moors. There is also a a risk of ice on untreated surfaces. The warning has been updated to delay onset of impacts due to the snow and slightly reduce the northward extent. The public should be aware of locally tricky driving conditions.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A northerly flow will bring an air mass of arctic origin over the area. Showers will fall as snow inland and over hills, though may remain as rain or sleet near coasts, where the risk of ice may be higher.

Local Authorities affected

Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk, Peterborough, Suffolk, Hertfordshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull, North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, York, Lincolnshire, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees and Hartlepool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Update snow warning for Wednesday

Issued at: 1127 on Mon 2 Feb 2015 Valid from: 0005 on Wed 4 Feb 2015 Valid to: 2355 on Wed 4 Feb 2015

Snow showers will continue to affect many eastern and northeastern parts of the UK through Wednesday. The focus of showers is likely to transfer from eastern Scotland to parts of eastern and southeastern England, as well as some central areas of England, through the day. Some heavy snow showers are possible. Local accumulations of 1-3 cm are likely away from immediate coasts, with perhaps 5-10 cm over higher ground such as the North York Moors and Lincolnshire Wolds, although some areas will escape the heaviest showers.

The public should be aware for the potential of disruption to travel.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A very cold air mass is likely to continue to affect much of the UK during Wednesday. Along eastern coasts of both Scotland and England, snow showers are likely in a strong northeasterly wind. Snow showers are likely to ease through the day across eastern Scotland and northeast England, whilst conversely shower activity is likely to increase across other parts of eastern England, with some snow showers being driven well inland at times.

Covers

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1423008000&regionName=ne

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The models seem to be holding on in most models for Tuesday and Wednesday night, the big question is whether they'll hold for the day time on Wednesday and Thusday to provide a decent accumulation or if we'll get another slushfest.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

We all know that ppn charts for the next day or two aren't incredibly reliable but EURO 4 has a lot more of the region experiencing snowfall by 06z Wednesday morning.

post-5386-0-05708200-1422882547_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We all know that ppn charts for the next day or two aren't incredibly reliable but EURO 4 has a lot more of the region experiencing snowfall by 06z Wednesday morning.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2015-02-02 at 12.58.09.png

After so many let downs this winter I think I'll just leave it and watch the radar on Wednesday if some snow is showing great if not then so be it with high pressure gradually edging in this week the window of opportunity is getting shorter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

another day, another night watching showers out at sea struggle to make it inland to our patch, whilst others are more lucky. Having said this I think a few may pop up anywhere overnight and tomorrow before a more potent batch rolls in during wednesday

Posted

Tiny flakes of snow falling here 

And here.. must be blowing on from this.

post-5386-0-89886200-1422894275_thumb.pn

©Netweather 5min radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

just looked outside to the east looking towards chester-le-street out to penshaw monument and can see the snow clouds and white sheets of snow falling from sky

Posted

Proper snow shower and everything is turning white.

• Like 1

Posted

Blobs appearing on radar in a more favourable location for us in the north of the region. A bit of time before they hit yet though.

Posted

Is it just me or does that second set of organised showers (the ones just to the east of northumberland) look to be tracking towards Tyneside?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Snow is melting on some parts of the pavements, but cars,grass and roofs becoming covered albeit very slowly. Showers need to intensify for a decent covering.