Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Suggestions that winds will turn more easterly as next week progresses so we could see some proper snowfall later next week I would imagine if the frontal events do not deliver

Edited by Snowmaggedon

Posted

The latest GFS is actually looking pretty awful for this region compared to most of the rest of England. Slider lows do NOT favour us. 

I don't agree with that in all honesty however I do feel people are guilty of looking at the charts and thinking they are more snowy than they actually are.

The set up we just had was more promising but just the wrong wind direction, these flabby low pressure set ups tend to lead to coastal showers and a lot of crisp winter sunshine, its only when troughs and any weather fronts are mixed in these set ups can become interesting. 

It is very hard to pin point detail but at this moment in time, I think frost and freezing fog is more of a risk than snowfall for our region for now. However if that Northerly flow can become a bit more North/NNE'ly then there is a window and a risk of some coastal showers which may be cold enough for snow.

Its a set up that I'm not wetting myself in terms of excitment but if the slider low does goes to plan and does not get stuck over us then the potential easterly may bring more potential in terms of snowfall! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I can't help but forget what the easterly in 2010 brought, not suggesting anything on that level but with warmer than average sea temps who knows what would happen IF we get an easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

Thanks ss and c10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Light snow here now. A bit unexpected as thought would be rain, but I'm sure it will soon come.

post-8844-0-83785800-1421263118_thumb.pn

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

I can't help but forget what the easterly in 2010 brought, not suggesting anything on that level but with warmer than average sea temps who knows what would happen IF we get an easterly

Wasn't that a North Easterly?

Posted

Nice big flakes here and fields are white. Better take the hound out before the rain comes.

post-8844-0-05409300-1421265663_thumb.jp

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Posted

Just the quickest of walks with the dog as its wild out there and snow getting wetter quite quickly.

post-8844-0-53967600-1421266799_thumb.jp

post-8844-0-24229200-1421266866_thumb.jp

post-8844-0-99211200-1421267003_thumb.jp

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold,wet & stormy

My bad weather force field is currently active!! Most of country under rain, not me!!! Lol

Posted

Aye,just turned to driving sleet here now,not much fun dog walking in that.

Think a few walkers had same idea to take theirs out in the snow rather than the rain. Still managed some decent snow balls for the hound to chase and neighbours out with their kids, so a nice surprise.

Still some huge flakes falling out back, don't know how long it will last, fingers xd for next few days.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Driving sleet for a good hour or more now.

I think the weekend onwards is looking good for NE wind to bring convective snow showers.

Here's hoping anyway!

• Like 1

Posted

The weekend and next week look very promising at the moment.

I think Sunday has the best chance of some snow showers for the weekend then next week looks very promising at this stage. The beeb were saying earlier we could be seeing our coldest spell in the UK for 2 year

Posted

I think Sunday has the best chance of some snow showers for the weekend then next week looks very promising at this stage. The beeb were saying earlier we could be seeing our coldest spell in the UK for 2 year

Done my online shop stock up in anticipation. The driver from tesco said they have been warned that they will receive disciplining if they get stuck in snow. Bit harsh I thought but I know who to shop with if it gets too bad/good next week.

I'm sure supermarkets pay big bucks for extended weather reports so thought something might be a coming when he mentioned that yesterday.

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

Yes however the models seem to hint the winds may be a bit too NNW'ly which means most places apart from the coastal strip itself will stay dry. Still time for slight adjustments for it to become slightly more northerly or even NNE'ly as has been hinted but the agreement is solid on a more NNW'ly. 

Uppers are not fantastic, quite marginal but I want too see some convective weather! Hopefully there be some last second adjustments to it increases the shower risk for Sunday. 

If not, then i suspect overnight frost and freezing fog will be the main issue, especially when the flow becomes slack, we could see quite a severe frost in rural spots especially. I won't mind that as long the convective easterly occurs, I am getting snow starved now!

Posted

Yes however the models seem to hint the winds may be a bit too NNW'ly which means most places apart from the coastal strip itself will stay dry. Still time for slight adjustments for it to become slightly more northerly or even NNE'ly as has been hinted but the agreement is solid on a more NNW'ly. 

Uppers are not fantastic, quite marginal but I want too see some convective weather! Hopefully there be some last second adjustments to it increases the shower risk for Sunday. 

If not, then i suspect overnight frost and freezing fog will be the main issue, especially when the flow becomes slack, we could see quite a severe frost in rural spots especially. I won't mind that as long the convective easterly occurs, I am getting snow starved now!

Quite! Steve M's reference to how "you can wave goodbye to places like Durham" just fills me with unbridled joy!! :-D

Posted

What an amazing set of runs this evening/ tonight. If we don't get some sort of lying snow in the next week or so then something is very wrong... lots of upgrades and downgrades to come still I imagine, but the cold weather essentially starts on Friday when this storm has moved on. In the short term Sunday could be interesting, and into slider low/ easterly territory after - The ECM earlier was nigh-on perfect for our region, as was the latest GFS later on. 

post-8771-0-57099900-1421277138_thumb.pn

The ominous finger of bitter 850s there pointing straight at us  :laugh: Previous experience with the models in mind I'm keeping myself contained right now haha. 

• Like 1

Posted

Very windy last night in Darlington no worse than last week but when the rain hits the windows at night its a pain for getting to sleep. The wind seems a bit calmer this morning.

Watch out for some sleet and snow on higher ground later this afternoon and evening as another band of rain moves down from the north west

Posted

We've been issued with a Level 3 Cold Alert by the Met Office

map

Key:Region not includedWinter preparedness and actionAlert and readinessSevere weather actionNational Emergency

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0826 on Thu 15 Jan 2015

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions between 1800 on Thursday and 1200 on Monday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

After less cold conditions overnight Wednesday and for a time on Thursday, increasingly cold air will spread from the northwest across England on Thursday night and during Friday, with showers turning more wintry from the north. Average temperatures are expected to continue falling through the weekend, with a northerly airstream likely to be established by Sunday. Frost and ice are expected to become increasingly widespread through the period, with some severe overnight frosts likely in the north over any snow cover by Monday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Threshold

values

Regional

risk values

Amber — Severe weather action

Triggered by the Met Office when we are experiencing weather which breaches any of the thresholds. This stage requires social and healthcare services to target specific actions at high-risk groups.

Advice: Prolonged periods of cold weather can be dangerous, especially for the very young, very old or those with chronic diseases.

If you want more information about how cold weather can affect your health please visit www.nhs.uk. If you are concerned about your health or somebody you care for, advice can be obtained from www.nhs.uk/winterhealth, NHS 111 or your local pharmacist.

• Like 1

Posted

some better news potentially on this mornings runs in respect to the Northerly, it shows the flow more Northerly/NNE'ly again which of course will favor this region, its messy though so I would not pin point too much in terms of detail.