Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Thing is it usually does matter for low lying areas.

Snow falling is pretty for the first 5 minutes, but pretty pointless if it's not laying, that's my opinion anyway.

As someone who lives in a low-lying area snow that doesn't lie is often better given the amount of unnecessary disruption that half a cm of snow can bring to most of Britain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

15c (59f) here in Newcastle.

Mild and still.

Winter could always be worse ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

pennines really killing the precip atm

Posted

Yes, winter is over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yes, winter is over.

Bring on the summer! ;) aha in all seriousness ill give it another hour before popping to bed

Posted

Bring on the summer! ;) aha in all seriousness ill give it another hour before popping to bed

I'm assuming that wasn't a flirty post?

You don't "pop" to bed.

You pop to the shop or to the cashpoint, not the bed surely?

Posted

15c? On the wind up?

For the love of God.

Posted

Well I'm sorry but it doesn't come clearly over the internet sometimes, especially when people do lie.

I'm only playing.  :drunk:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

4 degrees no snow here tonight

Posted

I'm not going to lose sleep whether this band hits or not but if some areas do get the PPN then it may start as rain BUT with winds falling lighter then evaporate cooling could take place and the rain may turn more wintry, the band does seem to be on track as per forecasts so it will be touch and go around here but Teesside should get at least some PPN from the looks of it. 

Posted

I'm surprised you had heavy rain, just 1mm of sleet/rain here.
It's very icy this morning though and hills are whiter than yesterday.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We had a very light snow shower around 6am here in Darlo didn't lay as expected. Still no snow laying on the ground since March 2013 the wet snow we had yesterday was the most snow which has fallen from the sky in that period.

Posted

We were lucky last night, temperatures on the right side of marginal and precipitation heavy enough to aid evaporative cooling. Hence awoke to nearly a couple of cms and there is still a cover on grass, roofs etc but thawing.

Fells are plastered white - a winter wonderland.

Already beaten last winters total snow cover and days of snowfall - was always going to be easy mind..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I reckon your man G4HDS will have seen quite a bit last night ?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-hundreds-cars-stuck-4791890#rlabs=1

Given his last post:

G4HDS, on 11 Dec 2014 - 08:22, said:snapback.png

Heavy Snow for several hours last night, but temp just a tad to high at present, hence not to much laying, expecting more snow today.
location on the Cheviots North of Otterburn.

some pics at

http://www.paulunwin.co.uk

Posted

We were lucky last night, temperatures on the right side of marginal and precipitation heavy enough to aid evaporative cooling. Hence awoke to nearly a couple of cms and there is still a cover on grass, roofs etc but thawing.

Fells are plastered white - a winter wonderland.

Already beaten last winters total snow cover and days of snowfall - was always going to be easy mind..

Funnily enough, the last place I saw lying snow was in the lakes back in March 2013,

Back to playing the waiting game for now, nothing in the near future in terms of snow, although cold PM air is never far away in the models and may lead to more interest as we've had the last few days. 

Posted

I know we all live in different locations around the north of England but to get snow of any note here in Newcastle/Tyne and Wear with winds coming from any North Westerly or Westerly quadrant is so rare, and I knew this PM air would deliver a non event here.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, just stating facts. But if I know this kind of thing, how come the Meto don't and give out weather warnings for snow when in all honesty for the vast majority of Tyne and Wear it was always a non-starter? Even a Northerly is marginal for substantial snowfall, I think in Tyne and Wear in general we always fair better from a NNE, NE, ENE regime where lake effect snow showers pepper the region and quite often merge to give longer periods of snow.

Anyway, models tonight would suggest nothing of wintry note out to the end of the month at present. Of course this could all change quite quickly, but I wouldn't bet on it judging by comments from the more experienced.       

Have a good evening folks.                                                  

Posted

I know we all live in different locations around the north of England but to get snow of any note here in Newcastle/Tyne and Wear with winds coming from any North Westerly or Westerly quadrant is so rare, and I knew this PM air would deliver a non event here.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, just stating facts. But if I know this kind of thing, how come the Meto don't and give out weather warnings for snow when in all honesty for the vast majority of Tyne and Wear it was always a non-starter? Even a Northerly is marginal for substantial snowfall, I think in Tyne and Wear in general we always fair better from a NNE, NE, ENE regime where lake effect snow showers pepper the region and quite often merge to give longer periods of snow.

Anyway, models tonight would suggest nothing of wintry note out to the end of the month at present. Of course this could all change quite quickly, but I wouldn't bet on it judging by comments from the more experienced.       

Have a good evening folks.                                                  

Rather too early to call no chances for snow this side of 2014 - there are 2 weeks and 6 days still to go, a lot of time..

Posted

Rather too early to call no chances for snow this side of 2014 - there are 2 weeks and 6 days still to go, a lot of time..

I see the pub run has given us renewed hope.

But with the chaos tonight at the airports I'd imagine data will have gone missing, leading to such an optimistic outlook in the charts!

Mark my words, by Monday the charts will have us back into a westerly mobile flow even in the depths of FI :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The BBC give us temps back in double figures on Wednesday at 11c Tuesday looks to be the coldest day next week with temps around 4c then down to around 5c next weekend

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

The BBC give us temps back in double figures on Wednesday at 11c Tuesday looks to be the coldest day next week with temps around 4c

Friday and Saturday look like being the coldest days next week with another surge of polar maritime air, however, a less pronounced affair than what we have had over last 36 hours. Wednesday the mildest day temps into double figures. Overall the next 7 days will probably see mean values balance out around average. In this respect a very similar first two thirds to December such as we saw in 2011, but lets hope it doesn't follow 2011 thereafter, a thoroughly miserable end dank wet and far too mild. I don't think it will though.