Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Another frost, that's two in a week!

Mother nature is spoiling us!

Posted

I'm doing a wee cross border raid here, but these charts may be of interest to anyone who lives in the far, far north of the far north of England. They're from the Euro4 short-range model, showing a period of quite intense snowfall across the south of Scotland and areas of the north of your region. I'm not sure if there are any members who live in the potentially affected area, but thought I'd pop in the charts anyway:

attachicon.gif6th Dec Euro4 +24hrs.gifattachicon.gif6th Dec Euro4 +30hrs.gifattachicon.gif6th Dec Euro4 +36hrs.gifattachicon.gif6th Dec Euro4 +42hrs.gifattachicon.gif6th Dec Euro4 +48hrs.gif

I think we are a bit thin on the ground with members in the far far far north of England. :laugh:

Does look like a frontal system will push down through the region during sunday night/monday morning though,so a decent chance of some folk to see their first snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Durham and Northumberland are now under a yellow warning for snow

Issued at: 1041 on Sat 6 Dec 2014

Valid from: 1400 on Sun 7 Dec 2014

Valid to: 1200 on Mon 8 Dec 2014

Showers will affect Northern Ireland and Northern England during Sunday and into Monday morning. These showers will fall increasingly as snow, particularly above 250 m with a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption on routes over high ground, whilst icy stretches are also likely to form on untreated surfaces. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel during Sunday night and Monday morning.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Cold air will move southeast across the UK on Sunday following a frontal system. Within the cold air frequent showers will form and push into areas exposed to the strong west to northwesterly winds. These showers falling primarily as snow above around 250 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow are possible around 250 m, with some temporary slushy accumulations below this, and accumulations of 5-10 cm above 400 m. Icy stretches in association with the showers are also likely.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1417996800&regionName=ne

• Like 2

Posted

Any chance of that snow hitting the lower areas of tyne and wear?

Or is very much a couple of cms at higher ground thing, 250m seems lowish for the first event of winter, which is why I'm asking?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Sleety rain here as it cleared away, but it was 9C at 6am.

Any chance of that snow hitting the lower areas of tyne and wear

I think you could see flakes falling if you get any showers at all today.

Posted

Had a light shower earlier this morning but it was just rain think the best chance of some snow flakes to lower levels will be this evening when the temperatures start to fall. 5.4c here in Darlington atm which is no good for snow

Updated warning from the met office for snow and ice

Issued at: 1017 on Sun 7 Dec 2014

Showers will affect the area during Sunday and into Monday morning, falling increasingly as snow, particularly above 200-300 m with a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption on routes over high ground, whilst icy stretches are also likely to form more generally on untreated surfaces. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel during Sunday night and Monday morning.

Cold air will move southeast across the UK on Sunday following a frontal system. Within the cold air frequent showers will form and push into areas exposed to the strong west to northwesterly winds. These showers falling primarily as snow above around 200-300 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow are possible around 250 m, with some temporary slushy accumulations below this, and accumulations of 5-10 cm above 400 m. Icy stretches are likely to form after showers. To the east of the Pennines and the Welsh mountains, showers will be less frequent, but road surface temperatures lower, leading to an increased risk of ice following the occasional shower.

Areas under the warning

Durham, Northumberland, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

We managed a light sleet shower earlier which was enough to get my little girl very excited.

Posted

Had a light shower earlier this morning but it was just rain think the best chance of some snow flakes to lower levels will be this evening when the temperatures start to fall. 5.4c here in Darlington atm which is no good for snow

Updated warning from the met office for snow and ice

Issued at: 1017 on Sun 7 Dec 2014

Showers will affect the area during Sunday and into Monday morning, falling increasingly as snow, particularly above 200-300 m with a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption on routes over high ground, whilst icy stretches are also likely to form more generally on untreated surfaces. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel during Sunday night and Monday morning.

Cold air will move southeast across the UK on Sunday following a frontal system. Within the cold air frequent showers will form and push into areas exposed to the strong west to northwesterly winds. These showers falling primarily as snow above around 200-300 m with a mixture of hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulations of 2-5 cm of snow are possible around 250 m, with some temporary slushy accumulations below this, and accumulations of 5-10 cm above 400 m. Icy stretches are likely to form after showers. To the east of the Pennines and the Welsh mountains, showers will be less frequent, but road surface temperatures lower, leading to an increased risk of ice following the occasional shower.

Areas under the warning

Durham, Northumberland, Darlington, Stockton-on-Tees, Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne

It amuses me that Newcastle is included in the warning when we have zero snow forecast, and temperatures predicted to be above freezing all night.

A very cold wind today so despite the sunshine, it felt quite raw out and about today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Our snow opportunity later this week has really taken my eye although I still wouldn't rule anything out overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Our snow opportunity later this week has really taken my eye although I still wouldn't rule anything out overnight.

Not sure about tonight mate i think the temps are going to be a degree or so too high, mindue the current temp is 3.1 and its forecast to be 4 at the mo, dew point is -1 so thats ok, hopefully later in the week will be better for us 

Posted

Nothing forecast in terms of snow at all this week.

The occasional sleet shower now and then but definitely no snow forecast.

Where have you heard this snow potential?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

if and its a very big if this chart verifies we would get snow down to low levels

UW144-7.GIF?07-17

Posted

Some big clumps of showers heading our way on the radar but struggling to get over to the East

which is pretty typical in these situations.

Dewpoints are a bit high at the moment,but should fall away through the night so any showers will turn

increasingly wintry.

There was quite a heavy snow shower this morning up at Consett when i was up at the 

new Tesco's which is very exposed!

edit: sleety rain here at the minute.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Just hail showers in the main so far today here - there was a covering of snow by late afternoon down to around 600 metres on the fells - the snowline should fall overnight, but I'll now be surprised if anywhere below 300 metres has a snow cover come morning - doesn't rule out chance of snow showers at levels below this mind.

Later next week sees a greater risk of snow at low levels.

Posted

Just had a miserly squally rain shower.

Nuff said.

Posted

11 frosts so far here and a good dusting of snow on ground so already well ahead of last year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Thursday night now into Friday morning is looking good for some snow to me? What does everyone else think?

Posted

Thursday night now into Friday morning is looking good for some snow to me? What does everyone else think?

That is the absolute worst possible time for me. Hope it doesn't come off or at the very least is extremely light and non-settling.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Still loads of uncertainty for thursday/friday and probably come down to radar watch.

Back to the here and now and looks like a squall line spreading down across the region over the next couple of hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

Really wild in darlo tonight!! Can we expect snow friday got to be out of town then so really dont want snow

Posted

Oh dear a proper dark December afternoon with dusk setting in around 3.30pm and pitch black not long after - making for what felt like an eternal afternoon.. days don't really come much darker.

Posted

Thursday looking rather interesting for the NE could be some snow at all levels for a time during the morning.

Before that its becoming increasingly windy here in Darlington 9.5c currently