Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its looking good so far for this evening/tonight. You can see on the type radar the feature running south east, its already all sleet and snow over south scotland and northern England. By time it gets here the colder air will be filtering in with it and we have night time cooling to aid us. I think we may see some wintryness from it, especialy with elevation :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Not sure about our chances just yet. Lon way to go. Looks like there is a milder sector showing up on the latest gfs run. Which could spell trouble should it verify. But here's hopeing to some snowfall. But until we see it at t06 I will remain cautious.

Not for our region, we have at least -4 uppers for the next 10 days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Not for our region, we have at least -4 uppers for the next 10 days.

but -4 doesn't really cut it for snowfall. Need at least -5 at the bare minimum. Think for low lying areas we could see a messy mix of sleet and rain. But areas such as holmfirth snake pass high bradfield yeadon should do well. But rest of us low lying I fear for if your expecting deep crisp and even.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

when in the MOD thread and seeing "looking very good for the north west" am i right in thinking that i am not north west at my location, am i central in the north or more to the west or east, i realise i am probably making myself  look incredibly stupid asking this but geography never was my strong point LOL :)

Posted

No your not stupid snowplease.

Those posts probably come from posters in either Manchester, Liverpool, Cumbria, that kind of eara. Lancashire is north west from us. They mean North West England.

For yourself in Barnsley, your South Yorkshire, the same as myself in Sheffield. If you hear either of those mentioned then class that as you.

If you hear the usual 'Birmingham north' or 'midlands north' then just take that as good as Yorkshire is north of both those statements.

Hope this helps!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Key with the weather though is are you on East or West side of the Pennines as that often has a massive impact with snow fall / snow fall direction. Being on the very middle of it, we get to see its effects clearly many times e.g. hardly any snow in Keighley, tons in Colne (Small town in Lancashire), while in a Easterly flow its often the other way round. Another example is the massive falls we had 2 years ago, Yorkshire side didn't have it that bad but every road bar the main one Lancashire side was cut off for a week due to 5 foot+ of snow, and even the main one was only 1 lane for half a mile of it for 3 days.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted

No your not stupid snowplease.

Those posts probably come from posters in either Manchester, Liverpool, Cumbria, that kind of eara. Lancashire is north west from us. They mean North West England.

For yourself in Barnsley, your South Yorkshire, the same as myself in Sheffield. If you hear either of those mentioned then class that as you.

If you hear the usual 'Birmingham north' or 'midlands north' then just take that as good as Yorkshire is north of both those statements.

Hope this helps!

ok thank you Winter Cold, that has helped yes. :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Just had a light sleety shower (mostly rain but the odd wet flake and snow pellet) so temps must be getting there! There was also a snowy looking shaft of precipitation coming from it, appearing to end just above the hills after it passed. I suspect I got a glimpse of where the snow line is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Doing some weather observations for my module today and really seeing the gusts pick up here .Nothing scientific , just a trusty stick with ribbon :)

Posted

Key with the weather though is are you on East or West side of the Pennines as that often has a massive impact with snow fall / snow fall direction. Being on the very middle of it, we get to see its effects clearly many times e.g. hardly any snow in Keighley, tons in Colne (Small town in Lancashire), while in a Easterly flow its often the other way round. Another example is the massive falls we had 2 years ago, Yorkshire side didn't have it that bad but every road bar the main one Lancashire side was cut off for a week due to 5 foot+ of snow, and even the main one was only 1 lane for half a mile of it for 3 days.

Which falls two years ago? The march spell?

Posted

if anyone would like to do an update later regarding todays models and how they look just for our region would be great, just for folk like me that are forever trying to learn :help: ...if anyone can be bothered that is, i know im a pain in the backside  :rofl: it would be greatly appreciated   :good:

Posted

when in the MOD thread and seeing "looking very good for the north west" am i right in thinking that i am not north west at my location, am i central in the north or more to the west or east, i realise i am probably making myself  look incredibly stupid asking this but geography never was my strong point LOL :)

My geography is not good either lol :p but it is looking good for alot of yorkshire especially us in south yorks :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Which falls two years ago? The march spell?

Yeah. Wasn't the worst we have had it for us, but as said the west side of the hills got an absolute pasting and was easily the worst I have know it for them; it was really surreal driving through tunnels of snow when they finally opened up some of the roads that had been cut off, was very unlike England.

Think people have forgotten how bad that spell was for some parts, thankfully us and nobody near us lost any animals, but I know of people in Lancashire that lost whole flocks due to the snow.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

My geography is not good either lol :p but it is looking good for alot of yorkshire especially us in south yorks :)

Lee where ya been old lad? Thought you had emigrated  :D

Posted

well that makes me a very happy bunny lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yeah. Wasn't the worst we have had it for us, but as said the west side of the hills got an absolute pasting and was easily the worst I have know it for them; it was really surreal driving through tunnels of snow when they finally opened up some of the roads that had been cut off, was very unlike England.

Think people have forgotten how bad that spell was for some parts, thankfully us and nobody near us lost any animals, but I know of people in Lancashire that lost whole flocks due to the snow.

Yeah I remember that one (and got the pics to prove it !), was the deepest drifted snow I've seen since January 1982 in mid-Wales

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

but -4 doesn't really cut it for snowfall. Need at least -5 at the bare minimum. Think for low lying areas we could see a messy mix of sleet and rain. But areas such as holmfirth snake pass high bradfield yeadon should do well. But rest of us low lying I fear for if your expecting deep crisp and even.

We only had -4/5 uppers on boxing day, and predominately we have -6 uppers next week, so I very much doubt it will be sleet/rain. Uppers are not everything anyway, as Ian F has mentioned on the mod thread. It's possible to get snow with -1/-2 uppers.

• Like 2

Posted

Look at the big area of sleet and snow coming down now from the North. Its not far from Leeds already. I think we'll get a decent covering tonight. What a bonus this would be for starters :D

• Like 2

Posted

ITS SNOWING!

Its meant to be rain here, yet we have snow. Thought this was possible given the temps and our height.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.
cowdog, on 15 Jan 2015 - 16:57, said:

ITS SNOWING!

Its meant to be rain here, yet we have snow. Thought this was possible given the temps and our height.

I think you must be quite near me. Sleety rain in Skipton at the moment. Just about to leave for shops then home (a few miles north of Bolton Abbey at 750ft) so might be a bit up there if I'm lucky.

Posted

We did well in the March 2013 Spell.

post-8968-0-62999600-1421341240_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Yes cheese rice. That March event was brilliant wasnt it. Very similar to what we got in Sheffield. Dont forget that was a slider event aswell wasnt it, so just shows you what COULD happen next week, hopefully ;)

• Like 2