Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Fog cleared low lying areas early this morning but lingered over high ground for most of the day. Been a great autumn for fog so far, problem is I prefer snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Hi everyone

Its good to have the regional thread back up :)

Lets hope this is a fun winter for all. Things are looking better than last year thats for sure, so lets end the 20 month snow drought ey!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Lets hope so Barry!

Its nice to see the mild muck blown away now and this week sees cool temps onwards. I wonder when we will see our first flake?

UKMO model still going for northerly Friday/Saturday but its on its own. Even if its more Nwrly then we may still see a wintryness in any showers? Problem is, its shown to be mostly dry.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Back to this guide soon https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/23729-will-it-snow/

Very useful last year when the half past six forecast kept forecasting frontal snow for us. It just said nay and it was nay.

Posted

Well its glorious out there today. Totaly clear sky and crisp sunshine. Perfect early winter weather. We missed out on this completely last year so its a nice starting point.

I see the BBC and METO sites are suggesting wintery showers possibly Sunday? lets hope we get to see a few flakes. Perhaps I will up here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Looks good for western areas of our region on Sunday, will defo be a covering in places, would usually head for somewhere like Greenhow Hill in the dales but back from Amsterdam late Sunday so not sure il be up for chasing.

Posted

So whats the latest thoughts from everyone about Sunday into Monday? Im still hopefull we'll see some falling snow. It would be nice if we get a disturbance coming down Sunday night to enhance the showers maybe?

METO warning sounds primising:

To:        1200 on Mon 8 December

Showers will affect Northern Ireland and Northern England during Sunday and into Monday morning. These showers will fall increasingly as snow, particularly above 250 m with a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption on routes over high ground, whilst icy stretches are also likely to form on untreated surfaces.The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel during Sunday night and Monday morning.

:):cold:

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

what a stunning day here today, sunshine, a wintry chill in the air, frost still on the ground where the sun has not got to, cant remember a day like this for a long time, lets hope this is a good omen for the rest of winter

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

So whats the latest thoughts from everyone about Sunday into Monday? Im still hopefull we'll see some falling snow. It would be nice if we get a disturbance coming down Sunday night to enhance the showers maybe?

METO warning sounds primising:

To:        1200 on Mon 8 December

Showers will affect Northern Ireland and Northern England during Sunday and into Monday morning. These showers will fall increasingly as snow, particularly above 250 m with a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow to lower levels. Accumulating snow may lead to travel disruption on routes over high ground, whilst icy stretches are also likely to form on untreated surfaces.The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel during Sunday night and Monday morning.

:):cold:

The area for the Warning only covers the Western parts of North and West Yorkshire, so its likely you will miss out. Touch and go for us here, as we are at 350m height, so we should get it but with these kinds of setups it can be different than forecast.

Its been light sleeting here today, so already had the first 'sign' of the white stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The area for the Warning only covers the Western parts of North and West Yorkshire, so its likely you will miss out. Touch and go for us here, as we are at 350m height, so we should get it but with these kinds of setups it can be different than forecast.

Its been light sleeting here today, so already had the first 'sign' of the white stuff.

It says 'showers will fall increasingly as snow, particularly above 250m', so it's not touch and go for you surely at 350m?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

It says 'showers will fall increasingly as snow, particularly above 250m', so it's not touch and go for you surely at 350m?

Its due a light change to the setup and our height wont matter as the uppers wont be good enough, seen it many times before where its marginal and it just doesn't happen as the temps are just a bit to high.

Posted

Im still hopefull, it just depends how many showers we see. Its cold enough to me but could be dry. Lets hope things pep up enough :)

Based on ECM tomorrow and Monday sees Yorkshire in -5 upper air so i think modest hills should see something, even lower levels if its heavy enough:

ECU0-24.GIF?06-0ECU0-48.GIF?06-0

And then even better, next weekend is looking even colder. Some chat on the model thread also of small depressions spinning round so we could see a decent fall if were lucky and things stay on track. Heres hoping!!!! :D

ECU0-168.GIF?06-0ECU0-192.GIF?06-0ECU0-216.GIF?06-0

• Like 4

Posted

well i have to say nothing remotely wintry in the forecast for here, temps between 6-9c no frosts forecast, so all in all i feel winter cold weather is on hold for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Out this morning at Ladybower.Windy on top but not very cold while I was there. Showers arrived towards the end of the walk with the corresponding drop in temperatures. Some sleet at Fox house around 11 but showers struggling to get much further across and fizzling out over the western side of Sheffield so far. So I haven't added to tot he overall night time rainfall.

Dewpoints and temperatures not conductive towards any snow here. Temp of 5.6C and a dew point of 2c says nay lad. Will need a beefy shower to knock those down although Radar does show one having a go right now. Whether it will survive this far is another question. Met thinks early morning tomorrow for wintry stuff here. 

Posted

I live about 162 m asl not far from the m62 in Huddersfield. Can see that hills towards the peak district/above Meltham are white & saw a few flakes earlier. Think we might get a slight covering at 160m asl? In town centre earlier & showing 3 degrees-up nearer to ainly top-around 1.5 degrees! Still....nice for it to be wintry! Normally at 160asl I do quite well for snow-but last winter we had a freak 1 hr of snow (as it was unexpected it caused chaos!) & i saw a car on it's roof on Longwood Edge Road -so already a better winter than last! 

Posted

Anyone noticed a distinct lack of Yorkshire posters over the last two years.

Literally everyone has disappeared.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Anyone noticed a distinct lack of Yorkshire posters over the last two years.

Literally everyone has disappeared.

Since when did you live in London? :nea:

Posted

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire is quite sparsely populated - beautiful places though. My mum's mother was born in Bourne, Lincolnshire, she has always wanted to go but she has not had the time.

She came down to London prewar era, tragically her parents both died before she was a teen. She had a hard life, and sadly died in 1988 due to skin cancer, even though she was never in the sun. She was a kind soul. Often told stories about the Blitz to my mum about when an incendiary bomb nearly killed her, after ploughing through her bedroom ceiling, meanwhile she was fast asleep tucked in bed. She got very lucky. Without the migration I'd for certain not be where I am now :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Snow shower here this afternoon.Don't let the saferners know on the model output thread though.There would be carnage.

• Like 1