Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Conditions becoming very marginal for snow now away from the hills. Another shower arriving here shortly so we'll see what it brings...

Edit - still snow, big flakes too - just hoping it stays this way!

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Bone dry here overnight.

Wake me up when this yawnfest of a cold spell has finished...

• Like 1

Posted

Little bit of snow in York for the morning walk to school. Great consistancy for snowballs!

Looking at the radar the stream of showers is pointing right at York but getting used up on the coast and moors.

I take it from the lack of comments that nobody had very much last night? Work seems to have got wise to me contantly pressing F5 and blocked NetWeather radar last night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,wind, heat and thunderstorms

Here on the north York moors, farndale we've had a good 4inches of snow fallen in the last two hours!

And still falling!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

Heavy but fine snow on the M180 settling too on verges

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Snowing quite heavily in this shower.

Still settling.

B.  :)

• Like 1

Posted

Well, when you least expect it....

Heavy sleet and hail from around 4am left us white over at dawn. Even main roads were slush and tricky for the rush hour after the ice had formed earlier in the clear gap. 

Just had a rain shower now mind so i reckon that's it but it was a nice surprise! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Here on the north York moors, farndale we've had a good 4inches of snow fallen in the last two hours!

And still falling!

Great to have someone else posting from the North York Moors, there is another chap who lives in Westerdale but he posts in the Far North of England thread. Radar is looking good for all day and all night for you, could be some substantial totals come tomorrow, very jealous indeed.

I only got 1.5cm overnight which has topped up what was remaining from yesterday, but the sun is out and its 1.7c and starting to thaw.

The MetO have changed their forecast for here from being rain showers later to staying as snow throughout the day. The problem at the moment is the Moors are eating the showers and I'm catching the remnants, which is fine during the night, but during the day we need a big shower for any more accumulations.

• Like 1

Posted

Still falling as snow here at the moment, but not really adding much to what we already have. Thawing quite rapidly inbetween showers too.

Posted

Can anyone point me to a website with historical records of weather conditions please.

But a bit more 'local' than the MetO one. I'm trying to find out when it has snowed in york specifically.

Thanks in advance, beautiful sunshine and fleeting snow today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Apart from a 5 min snow shower last night we haven't had snow since last Thursday, far to dry inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Apart from a 5 min snow shower last night we haven't had snow since last Thursday, far to dry inland.

Pretty much the same here.

So we are drinking in the Last Chance Saloon of this cold spell.  The question is...will there be a lock in or will the good folk of Yorkshire get barred before the party even starts?!

My heart says we may get a decent shot at some snow showers as the wind backs to more of an Easterly direction and the colder air moves in but my head says that High Pressure will move in and kill off any shower activity before it gets going?

I just feel we may be a little too far North to be affected significantly by the switch in wind direction and I'm not sure if the fact that the Yellow Weather Warning for Snow and Ice in place for tomorrow has not been updated since Yesterday is a good thing or a bad thing? 

The text from the warning which covers much of the region for tomorrow says this;

Showers will turn increasingly to snow during Thursday as the colder air arrives.

The text from the forecast for Yorkshire for tomorrow says this;

Remaining cold and rather cloudy with rain, sleet and snow showers, these more likely in the West later with snow becoming more restricted to hills.

Clear as mud then?!

I also don't know what to make of this FAX Chart?

post-12760-0-70692500-1423054117_thumb.p

A long and convoluted post all about the possibility of a centimetre or so of snow in the next 24 hours.  That's the British Weather for you!

Edit - Warning now updated to commence at 6pm tonight and through tomorrow although for Yorkshire I suspect things will start to dry out from lunchtime onwards.

The areas affected look broadly the same but with more of an emphasis on snowfall over the North York Moors where a further 8 centimetres could fall (you lucky people!).

It also looks more marginal for low ground (Quelle Surprise) with any smaller accumulations inland being limited to those areas above 150 metres (rules me out then!)

It looks like those of us inland may well actually see some shower activity tonight, albeit not of the settling snow variety away from higher ground.

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

snowing here after starting as rain

yes I noticed when I nipped out to get paper from shop it was snowing very surprised was lethal this morning with sheet ice everywhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Can anyone point me to a website with historical records of weather conditions please.

But a bit more 'local' than the MetO one. I'm trying to find out when it has snowed in york specifically.

Thanks in advance, beautiful sunshine and fleeting snow today.

You could try York Active (libaray) site. Although I have tried to get historical temperature records for York recently and was directed to the college at Askam Bryan. I think you may struggle for much response but will keep an eye out in case anything turns up in my search

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Well reading the text and warnings from the METO, it does look like the best chance of more widespread showers will be tonight and tomorrow, even inland too. Having said that, its just a case of going back to the radar later haha :p

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty much the same here.

So we are drinking in the Last Chance Saloon of this cold spell.  The question is...will there be a lock in or will the good folk of Yorkshire get barred before the party even starts?!

My heart says we may get a decent shot at some snow showers as the wind backs to more of an Easterly direction and the colder air moves in but my head says that High Pressure will move in and kill off any shower activity before it gets going?

I just feel we may be a little too far North to be affected significantly by the switch in wind direction and I'm not sure if the fact that the Yellow Weather Warning for Snow and Ice in place for tomorrow has not been updated since Yesterday is a good thing or a bad thing? 

The text from the warning which covers much of the region for tomorrow says this;

Showers will turn increasingly to snow during Thursday as the colder air arrives.

The text from the forecast for Yorkshire for tomorrow says this;

Remaining cold and rather cloudy with rain, sleet and snow showers, these more likely in the West later with snow becoming more restricted to hills.

Clear as mud then?!

I also don't know what to make of this FAX Chart?

attachicon.gifPPVG89.png

A long and convoluted post all about the possibility of a centimetre or so of snow in the next 24 hours.  That's the British Weather for you!

Edit - Warning now updated to commence at 6pm tonight and through tomorrow although for Yorkshire I suspect things will start to dry out from lunchtime onwards.

The areas affected look broadly the same but with more of an emphasis on snowfall over the North York Moors where a further 8 centimetres could fall (you lucky people!).

It also looks more marginal for low ground (Quelle Surprise) with any smaller accumulations inland being limited to those areas above 150 metres (rules me out then!)

It looks like those of us inland may well actually see some shower activity tonight, albeit not of the settling snow variety away from higher ground.

The warning for last night said settling snow above 150m. I'm about 30m asl and we had a fresh 1-2cm of snow on places where it had thawed completely yesterday with minor roads being covered again.

Posted

Thanks jonboy,

The Uni also keep a log but it is just basic info nothing about snow depth.

Call it hopecasting but i can see York getting a couple of centimeters tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Having moved to York last year from just behind Epsom racecourse where if it snowed in the south we almost always got some I'm learning what a unique spot York is. It almost seems we are in a dead zone for snow hopefully you will be right about tonight. The track on the radar looks promising! 

Posted

Still a covering in a few areas around here which Is pleasing to see. Areas literally a few miles nearer the wolds still have around 60% coverage. Hopeful for another coverage tonight.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover