Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Yeah but we all know London is long overdue deep snow, no doubt a streamer to rival the depths seen in Boston will occur.

You sound like you've spent a lot of time in the SE/EA thread with that sort of chat!  :D

Posted

You sound like you've spent a lot of time in the SE/EA thread with that sort of chat!  :D

I don't even go in it, I literally don't get why they even bother looking for snow, they should all find a new hobby.

Fighting a never ending battle. 

#Pray4SouthEastEngland

:help:

• Like 1

Posted

I don't even go in it, I literally don't get why they even bother looking for snow, they should all find a new hobby.

Fighting a never ending battle. 

#Pray4SouthEastEngland

:help:

Hahaha! I am glad I've been able to partially move up north... I've seen snow falling on so many more occasions even in just the past week and a half/two weeks!

Posted

Hahaha! I am glad I've been able to partially move up north... I've seen snow falling on so many more occasions even in just the past week and a half/two weeks!

This winter hasn't even been that good for Leeds I've not been impressed at all, I'll post some pics of some of the epic snow from the last 5 years in a min. 

Posted

Here's some in Central Leeds

I'll find some round North Leeds as well. 

post-8968-0-67367500-1422683100_thumb.jp

post-8968-0-67735000-1422683112_thumb.jp

post-8968-0-96475200-1422683115_thumb.jp

post-8968-0-16748600-1422683119_thumb.jp

post-8968-0-84156800-1422683122_thumb.jp

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Low ground Leeds can easily see a good 15cm. 

Its pretty common to see 15-20cm at least once in Hyde Park, every winter.

When its really bad the city shuts down, a good 10-15cm in City Square below

post-8968-0-35445500-1422683504_thumb.pn

Another snow event sees buses on the wrong side of the road just before the Merrion Centre

post-8968-0-61888500-1422683559_thumb.pn 

Headrow looking extra snowy

post-8968-0-19695900-1422683573_thumb.pn

North Leeds where the super snow falls! On my road at the bottom of the hill about 130m asl.

post-8968-0-35501200-1422683624_thumb.pn

My back garden, over a foot on the grass 

post-8968-0-10697900-1422683656_thumb.jp

This winter has been pants for for Low ground. 

I'll see if I can dig the pic out but in March 2013 over 45cm fell. 

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm moving to a place a couple of roads over from Hyde Park later this year... I'll take 15cm most winters! 

But wow, some of those falls are crazy! Great photos, so thank you!

You're aware that now you're leaving, we'll probably see one of these events next week....  :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

I'm moving to a place a couple of roads over from Hyde Park later this year... I'll take 15cm most winters! 

But wow, some of those falls are crazy! Great photos, so thank you!

You're aware that now you're leaving, we'll probably see one of these events next week....  :laugh:

No Worries!

The current fall looks to be the heaviest fall of the winter for lower ground Leeds.

And yup which is why I loose my interest in weather and why I'm still awake at this time for my final snow fix!

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted

Temp 0.1C, Dew Point -0.8C. Lot's of precip about just to the North. May see a dusting before it turns to rain. 

Snow still looks possible from tomorrow on the coast. BBCnews Weather now saying snow showers (even thought the graphic showed rain!). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Snowing and settling.

And yeah, Leeds is generally a very good bet for snowfall, and one of the snowiest cities in the UK (not saying much mind).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

What do you class as lower ground Leeds? Is it below 100m? We're at about 70m but it's struggling to settling much sadly, mainly due to earlier to rain/sleet... But I would expect there's a decent covering a bit higher now! (We're also relatively close to the City which doesn't help... But we saw it settle earlier in the week)

I'm glad Leeds has a great history of snowfall.... I saw some very good snow down south (December 2010 and a red warning was tremendous) But I feel I'll have more luck up here. 

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

I remember that red warning. How exciting but turned into nothing here really. Just didn't intensify!

Cheese rice will you keep posting in here. I/we will miss you!!

• Like 1

Posted

What do you class as lower ground Leeds? Is it below 100m? We're at about 70m but it's struggling to settling much sadly, mainly due to earlier to rain/sleet... But I would expect there's a decent covering a bit higher now! (We're also relatively close to the City which doesn't help... But we saw it settle earlier in the week)

I'm glad Leeds has a great history of snowfall.... I saw some very good snow down south (December 2010 and a red warning was tremendous) But I feel I'll have more luck up here. 

True high ground from experience is 150m, living in North Leeds in the hilly part you can literally walk from a meter up the hill and there is a definitive line between falling snow and rain. Basically if you want a proper snow fix catch the number 1 or Number 6 bus. They both go to Holt Park Asda, its about 15-20 minutes from Hyde Park (not in traffic) and goes right up to 200m asl, all in Leeds in the suburbs. Slightly Closer to home is go past Headingley to Lawnswood Roundabout about 150m asl.

Woodhouse/Hyde Park is a good 92m ASL which still makes a difference.  From Hyde Park all the way up to The Box is 110m

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I'm at around 90m ASL here in east Leeds. I have some pictures from 2013 when we got near a foot of level snow in both January and March so I'll try and dig them out.

Posted

True high ground from experience is 150m, living in North Leeds in the hilly part you can literally walk from a meter up the hill and there is a definitive line between falling snow and rain. Basically if you want a proper snow fix catch the number 1 or Number 6 bus. They both go to Holt Park Asda, its about 15-20 minutes from Hyde Park (not in traffic) and goes right up to 200m asl., all in Leeds in the suburbs. Slightly Closer to home is go past Headingley to Lawnswood Roundabout about 150m asl.

Woodhouse/Hyde Park is a good 92m ASL which still makes a difference.  From Hyde Park all the way up to The Box is 110m

I'm at the southern end of Woodhouse at the moment, near the car park, so we always suffer a little bit here as the height isn't great and heat is a bit greater. 

However, what I have realised is just how different the height is in many parts of Leeds. I always lived above 100m down in St Albans, but now all of a sudden, you walk down one road in Leeds, you're above 100m, but by the end of it, you're well below that mark!   :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

I'm at the southern end of Woodhouse at the moment, near the car park, so we always suffer a little bit here as the height isn't great and heat is a bit greater. 

However, what I have realised is just how different the height is in many parts of Leeds. I always lived above 100m down in St Albans, but now all of a sudden, you walk down one road in Leeds, you're above 100m, but by the end of it, you're well below that mark!   :laugh:

Leeds is too hilly, a blessing and a curse. I have a few friends who live over 300m asl! The difference in snow depth from 200m to 300m is insane.

I remember that red warning. How exciting but turned into nothing here really. Just didn't intensify!

Cheese rice will you keep posting in here. I/we will miss you!!

lol sorry no. I barely posted last winter. I'll be back next Christmas!  :)

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted

At least we're guaranteed snow somewhere in Leeds in a marginal situation thanks to the heights!

Thanks for the all the reply's though guys! Top stuff! You Yorkshire lot aren't half friendly.... :wink:  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Do you think mid-south Lincs should be absorbed into a separate East Mids thread? Midlands thread is too big and general. Market Deeping/Stamford is only 25 miles NE of here and Peterborough even closer, yet we could be posting in 3 separate regional discussions with people over a hundred miles away!

Yes, and it's something I've suggested to mods before. The area threads as they are cover huge geographic areas, and let's be honest here, this one is almost entirely Yorkshire-centric, which is not surprising, given the spread of posters. Moving Lincs into an East Midlands thread makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Snowing quite heavily here but struggling to settle at the moment.

A bit more intensity and that may change.

Regarding London snow, it really does have to be deep sourced cold air to be settling in the city.

Around the outskirts in North Kent where I grew up you can get far more snow.

I remember being buried in the stuff in some winters in the 1980s as a kid! It is just the lack of deep sourced cold Easterlies that have prevented any meaningful snow in the South East in recent years.

It really is the only direction that is of any use to the area of the country.

Anyway enough about them darn sarf! It is trying to settle here now....

Posted

Temp shot up to 3.1c as the rain arrived...

Looks like quite a bit of rain heading in today before the proper cold sets in overnight.

Posted

Only expecting rain here this morning, but hopefully a few snow showers early next week. The first pic was taken on jan 28th and there was around an inch, but sadly melted by the morning. Thundersnow the day after though which left a light covering.

post-6955-0-59784300-1422688474_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-30339000-1422688517_thumb.jp

Edited by sunny scunny

Posted

Intresting discussion and pics!

Which city in Yorkshire has the perception of being the snowiest?

Ps- looked out at 6.40ish and it was sleeting. No fresh snow evidence. Cant look out again (lie in morning is Satarday) as the Mrs will think ive gone bonkers......fact is i am bonkers about snow! Lol

Posted

It's currently snowing here, but so far it's to wet to settle. Heavy snow now and settling.

Edited by sunny scunny