Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Yes I completely agree. They are still coming east enough to drag across aswell as down. Still snowing lightly here too. Think weve experienced exactly the same conditions this morning. I think the next lot will keep us just on the northern edge for a while. Plenty still forming out in the Irish sea so probably on and off lighly all day unless another area can develop more north.

Tonight should add more too :D

Tonight interests me :D I haven't really looked at the output so I don't know what to expect. Hopefully at 215m asl we'll keep any precip as snow overnight.

Snowing heavily again here. Nice big flakes :)

Edited by CAPE-steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

stuck right in the middle of 2 features :( i didnt think we were in for any at all tonight, hoping for surprises now :)

Yes I completely agree. They are still coming east enough to drag across aswell as down. Still snowing lightly here too. Think weve experienced exactly the same conditions this morning. I think the next lot will keep us just on the northern edge for a while. Plenty still forming out in the Irish sea so probably on and off lighly all day unless another area can develop more north.

Tonight should add more too :D

Also, have a look at the latest radar (10am). The streamer looks much more organised - with showers merging. Providing it keeps its easterly element as you say, we should stay on the northern edge for a while longer :)

Edited by CAPE-steve

Posted

Yeah the one tonight, shows promise although will probably be too marginal for low asl, but that's kind of what should make it potent.

Where are you based cowdog?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Worth keeping an eye on those heavy showers just west of Carlisle at the moment.

Posted

Been snowing heavily in Leeds centre for last 20 minutes.  Covered cars etc.  Nice surprise, still wish I was in South Yorkshire though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Also, have a look at the latest radar (10am). The streamer looks much more organised - with showers merging. Providing it keeps its easterly element as you say, we should stay on the northern edge for a while longer :)

Yes it does. Some forming a little further north west than whats over us now, so that should mean it reaches us OK. Even more so for you with being just that bit further south :)

I think well see more snow tonight, altitude will help which we have, but I hope its more widespread at all levels

EDIT: snowing heavy again here now!

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Been snowing heavily in Leeds centre for last 20 minutes.  Covered cars etc.  Nice surprise, still wish I was in South Yorkshire though!

Its been snowing on and off all morning in Roundhay and appears now to have really picked up even though the Met suggests nothing here till later this aft and even then its showing light snow and sleet. Bring it on i say. 

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Where are you based cowdog?

Almost exactly where my location says :)

Edited by cowdog

Yes it does. Some forming a little further north west than whats over us now, so that should mean it reaches us OK. Even more so for you with being just that bit further south :)

I think well see more snow tonight, altitude will help which we have, but I hope its more widespread at all levels

EDIT: snowing heavy again here now!

10:15 radar encouraging too :)

I'm going to torture myself now by looking at various precip charts for tonight :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Good morning all!

The 9am satrep shows a couple of troughs and their projected track. Looks interesting for some parts of our region again later today-

http://www.knmi.nl/data/satrep/archive/KNMI/LOC/LOC_20150129_0900.png

And a great satellite link to see what's happened and what's developing.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Edited by Craig in Leeds
  • Like 2

Streamer continuing to provide bouts of heavy snow. Getting close to a foot of snow (currently 10 inches) with trees barely recognizable underneath all the sticky snowflakes :D

The streamer looks like ending in the next hour here - not much behind it in the Irish Sea, meaning I'll soon have a window to grab some proper pictures :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Radar showing the northerly feed starting to push south which will push the streamer south at a quicker pace fairly soon, then all eyes on this trough over Scotland.

Snowing lightly here again.  We have about 2cm which is frustrating as the steamer is only just under us.

• Like 1

Posted

Streamer continuing to provide bouts of heavy snow. Getting close to a foot of snow (currently 10 inches) with trees barely recognizable underneath all the sticky snowflakes :D

The streamer looks like ending in the next hour here - not much behind it in the Irish Sea, meaning I'll soon have a window to grab some proper pictures :)

Looking forward to the pics steve. I bet it will look very similar to here lol. The drifting is very impressive here. Big drifts built up now all over the place. trees are now a third thicker lol cuz of the wind and snow. Great scenes today.

Damn I LOVE winter! :D:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Well it stopped snowing about an hour ago but it has gone very cold and clouding over so heres hoping for a reload!

Figers crossed :) :)

Anyone in the know got any idea of the likely snow line tonight? I'm sure 200m+ will be ok :) Just don't want all this lovely snow to thaw too quick! Hopefully the lying snow will have an extra cooling effect, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A thin sugar coating this morning, showers never made it across the A1 as usual. Just back from Leeds city centre where it was snowing but not sticking and a cm covering on the eastern outskirts. Not sure about tonights trough, NMM looks good but MetO precip charts looks poor for the whole region.

Posted

Theres another area of snow coming down out of Cumbria now and the northerly element is now pushing that right on course for Leeds and Sheffield and surrounding areas :D thats even before tonights fun haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Argh we are trapped. Our main road has been closed due to snow, specifically its a highways agency route that they haven't sent a gritter down as they no doubt all busy on the motorways, going to be fun for a lot of drivers trying to work out a diversion around us :)

• Like 1