Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

morning all, well still underwhelmed on the snow and cold, temps still forecast to get upto 4/5c during the days so its really only the wind that will make it feel bitter, snow is forecast at times but soon gets mixed to rain sleet as temps rise.

currently 8.3c and breezy

Edited by sparky1972
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the models this morning and was expecting to see the the usual last minute downgrade in the focus area of precipitation. But nope GFS/NAE are a thing of beauty.

Out of nowhere gfs even has a persiod of heavy snow moving south tomorrow night, could be a touch marginal at low levels though

Rtavn484.gifRtavn482.gif

Posted

Looking at the models this morning and was expecting to see the the usual last minute downgrade in the focus area of precipitation. But nope GFS/NAE are a thing of beauty.

Out of nowhere gfs even has a persiod of heavy snow moving south tomorrow night, could be a touch marginal at low levels though

Rtavn484.gifRtavn482.gif

It does look good

so which area's could do well?

As last week Barnsley was said to have dusting but we had far better than that 24 hours of continuous snow fall that day.

Posted

It does look good

so which area's could do well?

As last week Barnsley was said to have dusting but we had far better than that 24 hours of continuous snow fall that day.

I still go with the further west you are the higher % of good snowfall tonight, will always be the case when the showers are coming in from the north west. But as streamers set up places much further east will do well two. But not everyone will get these.  I don't really think anyone within 20 miles of the east coast will do too well tonight BUT THERE MAY BE THE ODD LOCALISED EXCEPTION.

After tonight it will be a case of snow accumulations above 100-150m (more especially inland areas) for a couple of days before east yorkshire/ linconshire will fair best as a strong northerly sets in. Immediate coast as ever may struggle for snow accumulations though.

O and that's not to say little features won't just pop up out of the blue anywhere although I would be very wary of any influence from any associated mild sectors.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

The first snow is in North Yorkshire according to the radar, expecting it to hit here any time in next 30 minutes.

Already sleeting again, and its intensity is growing every minute.

Edited by cowdog

Posted

Yes been keeping an eye on that HS. Done well out of marginal events so far. Third time lucky? Wind really picked up here as the cold front pushes through. Not expecting showers (i.e. prolonged) till early morning, when the streamers hopefully push south. Thinking Sheffield will do well out of this

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

There are a few sleety flakes in the air now. Getting colder. Anyway do you think I'm too far west to get 'proper' snow? I am literally on the very eastern edge of the pennines. Met office says nothing more than sleet for my area.

Edited by Jonathan Lang

Posted

Sheffield and Western Parts of South Yorkshire according to the latest NMM and NAE. Streamer looks to set up to hit these areas the hardest with more sporadic showers for North and West Yorkshire. Backed up by this mornings met forecast. Good luck everyone

• Like 1

Posted

Sheffield and Western Parts of South Yorkshire according to the latest NMM and NAE. Streamer looks to set up to hit these areas the hardest with more sporadic showers for North and West Yorkshire. Backed up by this mornings met forecast. Good luck everyone

According to NAE it's going to be mainly north/west yorkshire this evening tonight that get most of the snow showers, then as the night progresses the risk edging further south.

15012818_2800.gif

15012900_2800.gif15012906_2800.gif

And ther's no way of predicting were the streamers will occur.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

This evening the snow showers will be where you say it will be but around 11pm they edge south and are heavier and more intense so all parts of the region will see more but id say Sheffield could be the sweet spot for the heaviest falls. NMM got the last spell perfect and this is whats shown on there 1 hourly model

According to NAE it's going to be mainly north/west yorkshire this evening tonight that get most of the snow showers, then as the night progresses the risk edging further south.

15012818_2800.gif

15012900_2800.gif15012906_2800.gif

And ther's no way of predicting were the streamers will occur.

Posted

This evening the snow showers will be where you say it will be but around 11pm they edge south and are heavier and more intense so all parts of the region will see more but id say Sheffield could be the sweet spot for the heaviest falls. NMM got the last spell perfect and this is whats shown on there 1 hourly model

Well we will see : ) I reckon pennine areas like skipton, Halifax and leeds/bradford will do best. Also further south the peak district, huddersfield and sheffield should do well.

Posted

Yesterday it was spring.  First snow shower of the day already as I type.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Well the fronts passed so we're just waiting on the 'cooldown' and the ingress of showers. We seem to get our best 'streamers' if they come through between Ireland and west Scotland anf through the Irish Sea coming in at Morecambe (ish)? At the moment it's looking like this is where they are travelling from!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Morning all :)

Well the cold front was very intense, very heavy rain and squaly winds. Im not surprised with the very cold air cutting in behind it.

Its going to be a long night again lol, as the best and heaviest showers do look like hitting overnight i think :) Oh well, bring it on. I love it lol

Cant wait to see how much we get by morning. I really hope we all do well out of this :cold: :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Well gfs 06z serves up heavy snow for all tuesday morning

Rtavn1441.gif

Rtavn1444.gifRtavn14417.gif

Shame it's a long way away but just highlights how something could pop up at short notice.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Well it's been a very wet and windy morning in scunny

Some very strong gusts as that first band of rain moved in!

Broken cloud now and temperature dropping off already

Hope everywhere dries out and the fingers crossed we get some of the snow tonight and tomorrow morning

Posted

Yes, its certainly still a nowcast situation but still fun to edge probabilities based on the most recent charts. In fairness everyone should do well apart from maybe southern lincolnshire. I think the met are conservative with totals as well. For me its possible 10-15cm can be hit at low levels in the lucky spots. The last snowy spell they forecast 2 - 5 cm when it averaged out at 8+ in many areas

Well we will see : ) I reckon pennine areas like skipton, Halifax and leeds/bradford will do best. Also further south the peak district, huddersfield and sheffield should do well.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Couple of hours to wait yet. Our showers are the stuff behind a line from Dublin to Edinburgh at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

well fingers crossed for all, my kids want another snow day lol :)

Posted

Couple of hours to wait yet. Our showers are the stuff behind a line from Dublin to Edinburgh at the moment.

Yeah but the snowable temps are almost at Skipton, so expect the odd snow showers soon.

Posted

Looking like it will be a much colder day than forecast.  Temperatures are only 2C or 3C across much of West Yorkshire.

Posted

Amber warning has been issued and covers Western North Yorkshire -

Issued at:

1047 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid from:

1700 on Wed 28 Jan 2015

Valid to:

1100 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Snow showers will become widespread and heavier across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England during Wednesday evening and will continue through the night into Thursday morning. Snow amounts will be very variable but over 5 cm will accumulate at lower levels in places with over 15 cm on high ground. Strong and gusty winds will lead to drifting and blizzard conditions at times, especially over higher routes.

The public should be prepared for travel disruption and hazardous driving conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

haha, MEt have my area in for snow for 24 hours, i will take that lol, shame Barnsley isn't in the amber warning though :( 

• Like 1