Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

North west England isn't going to do well at all but according to private messages from people from the North West thread I can't post because 1.) I'm not From the North West 2.) The regional threads aren't for technical weather discussion, it's a chat thread, anything other than posting pretty pictures of snow symbols from the BBC 5 day thread is for the model thread 3.) Ruining the mood by stating the obvious

Those latest NAE and NMM charts have STREAMERS written all over them, how each frame has the showers aligning snake like west to east. I feel some places will do very well (even right inland) whereas somewhere that doesn't get the focus of them could get a lot less snow (even a location in the west of our region.)

15012906_2712.gif

I think the streamers will continously sink south so a bit like troughs.

• Like 2

Posted

North west England isn't going to do well at all but according to private messages from people from the North West thread I can't post because 1.) I'm not From the North West 2.) The regional threads aren't for technical weather discussion, it's a chat thread, anything other than posting pretty pictures of snow symbols from the BBC 5 day thread is for the model thread 3.) Ruining the mood by stating the obvious

I think the streamers will continously sink south so a bit like troughs.

4.) They're jealous of our thread (I hope I don't get a scary PM telling me off for mentioning them!)   :laugh:

Edited by saint
  • Like 3

Posted

I think Yorkshire is actually going to do better than areas further West on this, my sweet spots are first of all a few miles South of Huddersfield and then Sheffield is going to get marmalised.

I think the general trend will be for these aligned showers/streamers to edge further south as the day progresses, First in north/west yorkshire then late evening south yorkshire should be well in them. But who gets the most snow as ever will be a lottery.

rain wednesday, rain thursday, showers of rain friday, cold spell, i think not, lol

I remember years back, linconshire used to get more snow than  anyone in our region : P Especially spalding haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I think the general trend will be for these aligned showers/streamers to edge further south as the day progresses, First in north/west yorkshire then late evening south yorkshire should be well in them. But who gets the most snow as ever will be a lottery.

I remember years back, linconshire used to get more snow than  anyone in our region : P Especially spalding haha

A lottery to some extent but I just have a feeling for about half way in between where I live and Hudder (around Mardsen and Slaithwaite) but more partuclarly areas on the Western side of Sheffield, particularly right at the top of that big hill on the Snake pass, Leeds and Bradford will do well as well, on this occasion I would rather have less risk of Marginlity and be way inland, the 17th Dec 2010 was a totally different case as the entrenched air was of a deep arctic source so when the wind swung around to a Westerly it didn't effect areas West so definitely would prefer Lancs, Merseyside etc in that setup.

• Like 2

Posted

A lottery to some extent but I just have a feeling for about half way in between where I live and Hudder (around Mardsen and Slaithwaite) but more partuclarly areas on the Western side of Sheffield, particularly right at the top of that big hill on the Snake pass, Leeds and Bradford will do well as well, on this occasion I would rather have less risk of Marginlity and be way inland, the 17th Dec 2010 was a totally different case as the entrenched air was of a deep arctic source so when the wind swung around to a Westerly it didn't effect areas West so definitely would prefer Lancs, Merseyside etc in that setup.

At 600ft you have noting to worry about wednesday night (don't think any of us away from coast should be worried tbh.) But thursday could be marginal for all of us if max temps of 3/4c are to be believed.

• Like 1

Posted

when we moved here 12 years ago winters were always good for snow, but last year was snowless, as was most of the coutry, lol, this winter we had a bit on boxing day, i do feel over the last 4 or 5 winters snow is becomming les and less

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

At 600ft you have noting to worry about wednesday night (don't think any of us away from coast should be worried tbh.) But thursday could be marginal for all of us if max temps of 3/4c are to be believed.

Yes, I agree.

Posted

Yeh I agree with streamers setting up and gradually moving south.Tea time onwards for me from the nw.Still a few wintry showers before they increase in nature later.should be a fun eve and njght radar watching.

On a side note,always remember the northerlies of the late 70s/all 80s,east coast always seemed to get paggered :cold:

Pretty much all of the region should see some snow over the next week imo,but obviously a few in the sweet spots.Good luck all :D

• Like 1

Posted

Yes - anything from the East and North is great here for snow - north west always dubious. But fingers crossed.

That said, having come from the Wirral 20 odd years ago all our winters are better than the ones there :yahoo:

I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow night. Will be interesting to wake up on Thursday morning! 

Posted

jogs,I am not far from you and this Winter has been rubbish,I have seen no laying snow at all,good job I work at Odsal top and seen plenty,here's hoping I get some tomorrow night!,

Posted

Filmed this from the last snowfall when 10-15cm fell

Super snow: http://youtu.be/HI0lvrF90TA

Repeat performance tommorow?

This is what I would expect in alot of areas looking at the high resolution models.

• Like 4

Posted

This is what I would expect in alot of areas looking at the high resolution models.

Last week's event didn't actually look that great on the high resolutions, if I remember correctly? The fact that they're showing some pretty good snow totals this time around is definitely a good sign.

• Like 1

Posted

Last week's event didn't actually look that great on the high resolutions, if I remember correctly? The fact that they're showing some pretty good snow totals this time around is definitely a good sign.

The high resolutionS were fine imo the front lingered all day as prprojected.

I think the intensity wasn't handled well by the EURO4

• Like 1

The high resolutionS were fine imo the front lingered all day as prprojected.

I think the intensity wasn't handled well by the EURO4

Yeah it hung around all day as predicted but the intensities were way off as many forecasts thought it was going to die out by early afternoon, yet it gave snow right through the evening IIRC.

Posted

Well this has been posted on Facebook....

Evening All,

There has been a change in the atmospheric pressure meaning we are still due for snow tomorrow but not as much. It will mainly be sleet in the evening, then more snow as the day comes to a close.

We will continue to keep you updated.

Team Yorkshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Amazing pictures! Was truly an exceptional event, yet not even a red warning from the meto  :unknw:

Always remember this Mark that we were told to expect 5cm  :rofl:  :rofl:  we ended up with 2ft +  :D  :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Always remember this Mark that we were told to expect 5cm  :rofl:  :rofl:  we ended up with 2ft +  :D  :yahoo:

Yeah, was certainly a shock waking up to it. Still, why they didn't update i'll never know. If half a meter of snow doesn't warrant a red warning i don't know what does, although i guess it had stopped snowing, after about 24 hours  :laugh:

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Lol, I saw  your username on a live YouTube chat for the NYC blizzard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

GFS says not a single flake for my area whilst netwx sr says a total  of about 32mm of precipitation (32cm snow?!) for wednesday after 1800 through thursday. Clearly shows how the models have absolutely no clue lol!  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Thing that annoyed me the most was not just his lack of passion (that he used to have in abundance) was all he could drone on about was 'a few showers towards the coast as the northerly sets in'... Completly failing to mention the main threat (wed night/thursday in any real detail. I'l say it again THE GUYS AN IDIOT  :laugh:

Spends more time taking about Bantams.

RADAR IT IS THEN................

Edited by winterof79

Well this has been posted on Facebook....

Evening All,

There has been a change in the atmospheric pressure meaning we are still due for snow tomorrow but not as much. It will mainly be sleet in the evening, then more snow as the day comes to a close.

We will continue to keep you updated.

Team Yorkshire.

lol, "Due to a change in atmospheric pressure"  :rofl:

It's not a bad page, but they sound rather clueless. Pointless trying to nail exact details even at short range. Streamers will set up and presumably hit most areas overnight tomorrow. Amounts will vary, as they always do.

The only problem with a page like that is giving reliable info when the weather will prove to be anything but.