Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

That's slightly better news to return home from my holiday too! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

That's slightly better news to return home from my holiday too! :D

Did you find snow this time?

Posted

Did you find snow this time?

I did indeed break my 100% no snow falling record in style with some brutal winter weather! It snowed solidly for the first 4 days of the holiday with temperatures hovering around -25c by day on the top and -15 at resort, then by mid week it was -18 even at resort level!

It really was incredible to experience, on the first day it was only -10c before it dropped and I was wearing sunglasses as I normally do then I had to find myself some goggles by the third because my eye lashes were freezing together from my eyes watering!

Just got holiday blues now so so snow would cheer me right up! :hi:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

8.9°C and bright with the odd glimpse of sunshine.

I'm looking forward to this week, just about everything being thrown at us!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Could be an interesting night for some possible thundery showers for the South Coast on Tuesday night, looks like there could be some beasty showers with hail and decent lightning potential. Id happily take that if theres gonna be no snow!

• Like 1

Posted

Could be an interesting night for some possible thundery showers for the South Coast on Tuesday night, looks like there could be some beasty showers with hail and decent lightning potential. Id happily take that if theres gonna be no snow!

Hang on let me check. No this IS still the SW forum, and somebody dared mention that sn.. word.

The winter shall come

The winter shall go

For US in the Southwest

That shall mean NO snow....

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted

You guys will like this: That's because they have purposely decided not to issue the ice/snow warnings until tomorrow morning, to judge continuity on troughing in HRES modelling and resultant risk of snow. For the south, continuity thus far remains good for SW/W Country at greatest likelihood of settling snow (EC 00Z painting very similar areal signal to E4). Ian F

W COUNTRY Focus this week: 1. Late Tues, when wintry showers may align up Bristol Channel, with snow poss, e.g. Mendips plateau; N Som/B&NES

Yellow warning must imply accumulations expected and on the disruptive side for some of you. :)

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted

For once the odds are in our favour! Yay!

Glad you broke your no snow record mullender (sorry - you will always be that name to me!)

Posted

Hang on let me check. No this IS still the SW forum, and somebody dared mention that sn.. word.

The winter shall come

The winter shall go

For US in the Southwest

That does mean NO snow....

I am very confused by this post? It is also Central Southern as well as South West, and I never actually said there would be no snow...

Posted

Stormyking I think you'll find Dorsetbred was being sarcastic about there being snow in this region!!

Nearly 2 years since the last decent snow event here (Jan 18th 2013).

Posted

Stormyking I think you'll find Dorsetbred was being sarcastic about there being snow in this region!!

Nearly 2 years since the last decent snow event here (Jan 18th 2013).

Ohhhh I was jsut confused thats all, i wasnt actually having a go or anything lol

It has indeed been 2 years since, still plenty of winter left though :D

Posted

I am very confused by this post? It is also Central Southern as well as South West, and I never actually said there would be no snow...

Yes I was being sarcastic, and we do turn to being the South West come the summer.

Posted

For once the odds are in our favour! Yay!

Glad you broke your no snow record mullender (sorry - you will always be that name to me!)

Mullender is my name so I don't mind you calling me that. :D  I just thought it was best not to have name on top of every post in case work was to view a thread etc.

Yes I was over the moon to see some wintry weather I just pray that Tuesday delivers for our region as its just more special at home.

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 2

Posted

Mullender is my name so I don't mind you calling me that. :D  I just thought it was best not to have name on top of every post in case work was to view a thread etc.

Yes I was over the moon to see some wintry weather I just pray that Tuesday delivers for our region as its just more special at home.

It definitely is. You might be lucky - think I will be less so, but we will see. A great week weather wise coming up, whatever happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

What say on Tuesday that the cut off for snow is 200 m/asl? Will be touch and go IMBY oh to live up the hill in Princetown on such occasions!

Edited by festivalking

Posted

What say on Tuesday that the cut off for snow is 200 m/asl? Will be touch and go IMBY oh to live up the hill in Princetown on such occasions!

It's looking good even for low levels though at the moment, so you may well do quite well out of it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I'd say around 100masl should be Ok for any winteriness Tuesday night with the aid of nocturnal cooling etc.

A busy week weatherwise for our region coming up. One of the more interesting weeks in a long while IMBY.

Sleet/snow Tuesday night, gales Weds/Thurs and more potential wintriness at the weekend. With a very unstable atmosphere, thundery activity can't be ruled out either. Some interesting squall like features and cloud structures are likely this week.

Hopefully we will have some interesting photos to share come the end of the week.

First up, Tuesday's potential wintriness. I suspect some sort of streamer will set up via the Bristol Channel later Tues PM, thus the Mendips look like being in a sweet spot for snowfall Tues night. I would expect a covering there as things stand. Surrounding areas like the Salisbury Plain, Bath, North Somerset, Wiltshire uplands etc also in with a good shout, although uncertainty in the WBFL could cause disappointment for low level urban areas such as Bristol etc.

Early days yet, but interesting none the less. Hopefully Ian may pop by our thread soon to give a regional insight into this weeks weather as he isn't on air tonight.

• Like 2

Posted

First up, Tuesday's potential wintriness. I suspect some sort of streamer will set up via the Bristol Channel later Tues PM, thus the Mendips look like being in a sweet spot for snowfall Tues night. I would expect a covering there as things stand. Surrounding areas like the Salisbury Plain, Bath, North Somerset, Wiltshire uplands etc also in with a good shout, although uncertainty in the WBFL could cause disappointment for low level urban areas such as Bristol etc.[/quote

Awful time for BT to have botched up our internet!!!!!!

Tuesday night's streamer affected areas will be wind direction dependant, like so many times when we have just rain a narrow strip of the region will be affected.

Posted

Brief update. High confidence now on snow for parts of W Country later Tues/Tues night. Several cm possible higher ground, notably (as it stands) Exmoor, northern Mendips Plateau; parts of Cotswolds. Likely the shower line (to Cb) extending down roughly M4 to give some surviving all the way towards London. Fairly high depth temperature should help prevent much low-lying accumulation. Different story on uplands aforementioned. Meanwhile, the troubling-looking 12z UKMO GM for Friday, which would yield substantial snow across SW/W Country, considered low probability. Low is most likely to head to Portugal, around the high, Exeter reckon. That's it from me for a while...cheers. 

Update from Ian. Good if you live on the moors! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Brief update. High confidence now on snow for parts of W Country later Tues/Tues night. Several cm possible higher ground, notably (as it stands) Exmoor, northern Mendips Plateau; parts of Cotswolds. Likely the shower line (to Cb) extending down roughly M4 to give some surviving all the way towards London. Fairly high depth temperature should help prevent much low-lying accumulation. Different story on uplands aforementioned. Meanwhile, the troubling-looking 12z UKMO GM for Friday, which would yield substantial snow across SW/W Country, considered low probability. Low is most likely to head to Portugal, around the high, Exeter reckon. That's it from me for a while...cheers. 

Update from Ian. Good if you live on the moors! :)

Bit gutted about the last paragraph. The 12z UKMO raw would have been very interesting for our area. lol.

Still plenty of weather this week though.

• Like 2

Posted

Bit gutted about the last paragraph. The 12z UKMO raw would have been very interesting for our area. lol.

Looks like a very exciting week of weather coming up! Take anything over last winter!  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I'm a lot more than a bit gutted lol, it's about time the south West had the worst of any snowfall instead of it being the rest of the uk which is the usual way things pan out.

One day something like that ukmo raw output will verify!

Posted

I'm a lot more than a bit gutted lol, it's about time the south West had the worst of any snowfall instead of it being the rest of the uk which is the usual way things pan out.

One day something like that ukmo raw output will verify!

still could! :D

Posted

still could! :D

I hope it does but it doesn't seem too hopeful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Seems a bit of downgrade for snow on tuesday evening / night for west devon unless you are on tops of the moors. I guess it will be a nowcasting event but with the thickness beneath 528 there has to be a chance. I would assume intensity of ppn would be key in this.  See what tomorrow brings I guess.