Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold, frosty and crisp!

Incredibly windy here this evening. Power went out about an hour ago and has just come back on.  I didn't think it was going to get this gusty down here in the south :80:

Posted

Good Evening Southwesterners and Central Southerners,

I normally post on the Southeast/EA thread, but as my local football team (Chelmsford City) are travelling to Weston Super Mare to play a match in the Vanarama South league on Saturday afternoon I would appreciate any observations as to whether the game is likely to go ahead.

I have provisionally booked to travel on the Supporters Club which leaves at 09.00 hours, but do not want to travel all the way there if there is a serious likelihood that it may be postponed.

Kind Regards

Dave

Dave I wish our internet had not gone down as I'd have replied far far sooner! Sorry.

Weston's pitch is notorious this season after the late FA Cup postponement and they have had several more off since then.

They probably have light rain tonight then there is the squally front in the morning before a sunny afternoon so more water for the pitch.

Surely they will have an early inspection to prevent unnecessary travelling by your team etc.

On another note, what a crazily balmy day and even weirder was the temperature rising further after sunset along with a gale blowing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Made it to 12.4C just before the real gale started, and since then it's retreated back to 11 point somethings, fluctuated up and down. 11.3C now. I've lost count how many times this winter it's been warmer at night than during the following day! I do hope my one lie-in of the week is not interrupted by rain against my window tomorrow morning.

Posted

That is insane for January 9th, a potential record-breaker perhaps? As I type, I'm sitting in Air Temps of 14.1c which is the warmest it has been all day. Pretty darn blustery out there now even this far inland and it could be a bit of a testing Friday night rush-hour for some.

Was pretty remarkable and quite possibly as this page suggests the 1964-2007 record for Yeovilton was just below 15c but they reached 16.1c yesterday.

Reached 16.3c in the end here

Had a brief drizzly squall recently that dropped the temp a degree to a freezing 12.9c lol (equalling the overnight min, it had risen back to 13.9c)

Quite windy this morning, wasn't too bad yesterday here as we seem to be relatively sheltered from W/WSW winds.

Posted

Windy and grey this morning, a gust of 47mph about 6am. 12.4c

Wind has died down a little now 20 - 25 mph, with some 30mph gusts occasionally

Temp got to 13.5c yesterday around Midday

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Cold front very weak down here. Much more so than expected. Past a short while back with no more than a whimper. Very windy and temperature falling back quickly though.

Posted

Cold front very weak down here. Much more so than expected. Past a short while back with no more than a whimper. Very windy and temperature falling back quickly though.

Very sqally at the moment as it's passing through here. The rain's coming down at all angles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Well that was a windy old night

Edited by Rich_Clements

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Very sqally at the moment as it's passing through here. The rain's coming down at all angles.

Yea but all relative really. I was expecting a strong line squall for all with hail etc. As with all the cold fronts down here they get quickly weakened down by that stubborn belt of High pressure continually to our South. Pressure already up past 1015mbs and rising rapidly. It was certainly an unnoticed affair as it passed here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yes it was, a bit of rain for five minutes was all we experienced.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Second line of squally showers was lively here.  Torrential and blowing at all angles around 10.15, go soaked getting back to the car in Sherborne!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Temp here at 8.5c. 12.6c earlier. Squally showers have moved through, wind slowly easing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

No rain at all last night, must have gone through a gap in whatever moved through. Brightening up nicely now with the temperature falling. 08.1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Bright and breezy, a little gusty. Strongest gust was 45 km/h at 09:26. F2 breeze now  16 km/h Temperature 7.9c. Can see the sun....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Most recent tweet from Fergie

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather  Â·  2h 2 hours ago

W COUNTRY CONT'D...with temperatures generally below average & occasional N'ly bias to winds. Frost/ice/some snow possible into 6-15d period

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Yea but all relative really. I was expecting a strong line squall for all with hail etc. As with all the cold fronts down here they get quickly weakened down by that stubborn belt of High pressure continually to our South. Pressure already up past 1015mbs and rising rapidly. It was certainly an unnoticed affair as it passed here.

same here on west mendip Gibby ,a non event realy ,but chins up gang a very interesting week next week coming up and could get very news worthy ,but i feel the azores high needs to shove off a little .midweek storm still possible at round about later wednesday ,but at five days away positioning critical .tonights late night fax should tell us or hint at possible track , i feel the human input from the met is usually not far off the mark but they should have a fair idea come later sunday .well IF current models come off we could see some surprises next week later ,as any features capable of producing our craved after snow will appear nearer the time .so lets hope model runs ticking away right now at the time of this post show a slight deflation of our friend MR Azores . :cold:  :rofl:

Posted

Temps been falling all day, didn't notice any squall or rainfall line here. Noticeably cooler out there right now. Here's to some excitement this week.

Posted

V windy here early hours and into daylight early morn.

Fence down in two places. Snapped posts so pretty gusty i'd say.

PM me if anyone knows someone who constructs garden fences in N Bristol area. Cheers.

Posted

From Ian in the mod thread... Could have a couple happy members in here:

Good agreement now between 12z EC and UKMO global/4km modelling on snow-prone areas of south next week (Exmoor/Quantocks; Dartmoor; Mendips & environs). Assessment of E4 suggests circa 2-5cm possible over these uplands. Some wet snow/sleet still likely to lower levels in same general area(s) late Tuesday as WBFL drops to ca. 200m.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Excitement level back up for some interesting weather Tuesday evening. No doubt wet rain but you never know.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Time for me to get back model watching it seems as things get interesting next week.

I miss the good old days of Ian F's posts in this thread of the snow forecast for the region... It's been a couple of years now since we've had anything decent. Let's hopevthings get upgraded

Is mulls on holiday yet?!

Posted

Interesting tweets from Ian on twitter 

@fergieweather

W COUNTRY Focus this week: 1. Late Tues, when wintry showers may align up Bristol Channel, with snow poss, e.g. Mendips plateau; N Som/B&NES

W COUNTRY CONT'D ...2. Weds night-Thurs, with deep area of low pressure to N threatening strong winds (gales/severe gales) for SW/S England

Edited by lfcdude

Posted

The signal re late Tues remains closely aligned in UKMO HRES and EC prognoses. The issue we are watchful for is favourable flow for alignment of showers directly E from Bristol Channel (EC has flow slightly more backed). WBFL at circa 200m phasing with that, and although we divide E4 snow accumulation by at least 2 in these set-ups (it yields showers that are too 'clumpy'), it would be fair to gauge upland amounts as 2-5cm generally. Mendips looks a strong likelihood; the more backed EC solution extending this N to parts of Cotswolds.

• Like 4