Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A very soggy bike ride this morning, Mild though

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Our little streams have gone on Flood Warning this afternoon...when the levels are falling according to the EA site.  15.6mm here to 09.00 and a couple more before it gave up around half ten.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Is it me or does it look like there could be some snow showers to higher ground for the west country on Saturday and first half of Sunday?

To me the 850`s show a cold pool cold enough for snow and in any heavier showers maybe to low ground to.

What does everyone else think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Is it me or does it look like there could be some snow showers to higher ground for the west country on Saturday and first half of Sunday?

To me the 850`s show a cold pool cold enough for snow and in any heavier showers maybe to low ground to.

What does everyone else think?

I'll take anything snow wise at the moment, so I bit of snow in the odd heavier shower sound good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hi Steve,

Living where you makes you very prone to heavy showers as you get the heavier precipitation first before they move inland and weaken somewhat.

The interesting thing to note IMHO is that there is a slight kink in the isobars which could pep up the showers or merge them in to a narrow trough band. This could be sharp narrow and fast moving so a heavier short lived spell of snow can`t be rules out. who knows could drop and inch in some areas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We had heavy rain from 7am to 10:30am. Total Rainfall- 6.9mm. Much brighter behind and fresher feel. 8mph SW currently under clear skies we have a temperature of 4c. 

Edited by Mark N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had 15mm of rain from early this morning's front - was not expecting that much! Been a nice day since though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

Looking forward to it turning Colder :cold: Maybe...Just MAYBE...We might get some Snow...If not, then i shall :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Hi Steve,

Living where you makes you very prone to heavy showers as you get the heavier precipitation first before they move inland and weaken somewhat.

The interesting thing to note IMHO is that there is a slight kink in the isobars which could pep up the showers or merge them in to a narrow trough band. This could be sharp narrow and fast moving so a heavier short lived spell of snow can`t be rules out. who knows could drop and inch in some areas.

I'm liking your optimism, but I feel we would need everything to be on our side to see snow over the next week or so.

Lucky people up North though should see plenty of the stuff.

Getting my fix of snow now by watching Winter road rescue on channel 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Evening Southwesterners and Central Southerners,

I normally post on the Southeast/EA thread, but as my local football team (Chelmsford City) are travelling to Weston Super Mare to play a match in the Vanarama South league on Saturday afternoon I would appreciate any observations as to whether the game is likely to go ahead.

I have provisionally booked to travel on the Supporters Club which leaves at 09.00 hours, but do not want to travel all the way there if there is a serious likelihood that it may be postponed.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

feeling cooler this evening,as others have already said feeling a lot fresher once the rain blew through

Posted

Blimey it's quiet in here,

Very mild outside but rather breezy

Posted

15.2mm from the frontal wave yesterday morning with 3.8mm falling on Wednesday, and 1.2mm last night. A peak of 12.7c at 6am this morning before falling to 11c at 8am. Weather not that normal for winter this morning being sunny (though sometimes hazy) and mild at 12.2c now. 

Forecast to reach 15c later.. which would be my highest January temp recorded to date.

Just saying the same thing on the SE thread, EPIC fail (again) by the forecasters at such short range. Far more expansive rain than forecast last night, I don't think it will be over much before lunchtime here. Sunday was another forecast blooper and the rainfall we received on Saturday was far more than forecast - Met0 really needs to get it's act together!

I guess they can only go with their best guess based on what most models or their higher resolution ones suggest before the event

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Blustery 17kmh.   Gusty to 21 kmh. South westerly.  12.8c. What will it be like next Thursday...

Posted

Blimey it's quiet in here,

Very mild outside but rather breezy

I guess there's norralottotalkabout at the mo.

The month is rolling on with one day on, one day off rain/cold/warm/frost. 

Posted

Blimey.. it's 16.2c here, smashing my previous January record (2008 onwards) of 14.3c.. thought it felt a bit mild out!

Overcast though with a gap in the clouds persisting to the south.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

What will it be like next Thursday...

I guess that really depends on the track of the depression. My money pushes it further north so it becomes less severe down here. More interesting is the following days when it really drags in winds from the NNW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

THANKS FOR THAT....

Now  13.8c.    Gusts to 32 km/h..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Blimey.. it's 16.2c here, smashing my previous January record (2008 onwards) of 14.3c.. thought it felt a bit mild out!

Overcast though with a gap in the clouds persisting to the south.

That is insane for January 9th, a potential record-breaker perhaps? As I type, I'm sitting in Air Temps of 14.1c which is the warmest it has been all day. Pretty darn blustery out there now even this far inland and it could be a bit of a testing Friday night rush-hour for some.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

14.8c currently, which presumably will now be the Daytime Maximum, Rest assured we won't witness such Temperatures IMBY until at least March now. 

Posted

14.8°C here too.  Having made the kitchen smelly by frying onions for supper, we actually had the back door propped open as we sat and ate and we were not chilly.  Should add though that the door faces awy from the current wind direction.

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

Very gusty here this evening. Aleady heard of a tree down locally and power out in Woodcote RG8, not far from Benson. Take care, folks!

Posted

How windy!?!?!?

I was really worried with regards to tree debris on the trip home tonight, stay safe folks