Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Started at 7.4 at 09.00, went up to 9.8 at some point before 11.15 when it was back down to 8.4.  Breezy too now and feeling chilly.

A bit of an up & down here as well Lyn.

post-15177-0-21435800-1420547006_thumb.p

Currently 9.2°C and very windy. There's some decent sunny spells though. :)

Posted

Beautiful afternoon and looking forward to a frost tonight, temperature dropping away now at 6.8c after being above 8c since early yesterday.

I managed to work through the 2 fronts this morning, leaving home at 06.45 as the weak Warm Front was producing drizzle and then in Bath all morning I was outside for 5 hours, 4 of which were dry, however the middle hour was pretty wet with a few very heavy bursts of squally rain from the Cold Front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Only 1mm of rain today so essentially dry and predominantly sunny after 9.30am. High of 08.1C and min of 02.3C not long ago but temperature seems to be rising again ?? A pleasant enough day all in all.

Posted

Low of -0.5°C this morning, currently 10°C and very windy.

The temp increase this morning, looks good in graph form..

post-15177-0-99886800-1420629496_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy stuff this morning, left home around 07:45, had to scrape ice from the screen of the car, temperature was around 2C, plenty of white from overnigth frost.. Drove into Poole, temperature leapt up to 8C, clearly no frost here.

Drove home around 08:45, temperature dropped nearing home back towards 3.5C, roofs covered in frost, still lying ground frost at home.

Temperature variation across a 2mile distance ....amazing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A cloudy day in Bristol today, although last night it went quite cold and I had frost on my car but when I left home this morning the frost had gone and the temps had risen quite a bit.

Posted

Some very strong gusts this evening which have been associated with a few bursts of heavy driving rain.

It seems we in the SW will have 4 brief frontal rain events before it cools down on Saturday (tonight, tomorrow morning, tomorrow night, Friday night) and I expect the total rainfall will be less than an inch for most places because the fronts will pass through quickly.

Posted

Sudden squall gust here near Dartmoor rattled down the chimmney at 20:55 @ 45.5 kmh and then gone again! Still waiting for a memorable freak one of blizzard like 1891!

Posted

Crazy stuff this morning, left home around 07:45, had to scrape ice from the screen of the car, temperature was around 2C, plenty of white from overnigth frost.. Drove into Poole, temperature leapt up to 8C, clearly no frost here.

Drove home around 08:45, temperature dropped nearing home back towards 3.5C, roofs covered in frost, still lying ground frost at home.

Temperature variation across a 2mile distance ....amazing.

Similar effect here, though not quite as strong as on the 31st December (when there was a 10c difference in under a mile and 45m altitude difference). Again due to cold air staying in sheltered spots and valleys with the milder flow above.

Low of -1.3c yesterday and stayed below freezing till 7:30. Valley floor was frosty but not the hillsides at dawn, before a sudden temp rise.

As for this morning that's a lot more water on radar than I remember on the forecast, I did wonder as the GFS showed more than the BBC.

• Like 1

Posted

Some very strong gusts this evening which have been associated with a few bursts of heavy driving rain.

It seems we in the SW will have 4 brief frontal rain events before it cools down on Saturday (tonight, tomorrow morning, tomorrow night, Friday night) and I expect the total rainfall will be less than an inch for most places because the fronts will pass through quickly.

Epic fail by the forecasts and me! Way more than an inch is going to happen this morning alone! I can only assume that the frontal wave which was mentioned early in the week has occurred rather than just a showery WNW flow for today!

• Like 2

Posted

Epic fail by the forecasts and me! Way more than an inch is going to happen this morning alone! I can only assume that the frontal wave which was mentioned early in the week has occurred rather than just a showery WNW flow for today!

Not sure about the wave but the cold front is just to the west of here.

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, the rain was forecast to have cleared here by the time I stepped out for a wander at 7:30am. As it happened I got soaked and there's still more to come. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

That squall line hit just as I was taking the kids to school! Perfect timing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep, the rain was forecast to have cleared here by the time I stepped out for a wander at 7:30am. As it happened I got soaked and there's still more to come. :rolleyes:

Just saying the same thing on the SE thread, EPIC fail (again) by the forecasters at such short range. Far more expansive rain than forecast last night, I don't think it will be over much before lunchtime here. Sunday was another forecast blooper and the rainfall we received on Saturday was far more than forecast - Met0 really needs to get it's act together!

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

8.8°C and wet.

2.3mm from drizzly bits & pieces yesterday. 19mm this morning.

I tweeted about that yesterday afternoon, as the forecasts didn't really mention anything about a secondary wave of heavy rainfall.

https://twitter.com/LumiaBiz/status/552830713540935680

Posted

After looking around Twitter, it seems a low yellow warning may have not gone a miss. There's a lot of pictures of roads flooded around the IoW, Dorset etc..

The EA have a flood alert out for the Purbeck area- Corfe river must be close to bursting it's banks?!

post-15177-0-40376600-1420713468_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Flooding terrible here, a warning would not of gone a miss to be fair

Quite a few roads closed and many only just passable

Edited by Cyclonic

Posted

Well, after a soggy morning, it's amazing that somebody cut the rain off, and turned the sun on so quickly. The front has passed, the sun is shining brightly and the temperatures have fallen.

What a great morning's worth of weather.