Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Cloud cover means this frost is refusing to shift. It's still pretty bleak out.

attachicon.gif20141230_111552_sm.jpg

It had the opposite effect here, the frost had all melted by 10am under cloudy conditions, since when it slowly brightened up to a clear sunny afternoon.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Temperature up to +8°C on the coast at West Bexington an hour ago (according to car thermometer).  Sea was flat calm initially and then as some cloud encroached from the SW, the wind was more noticeable and ruffling the sea's surface.  Max here inland has been +5.1°C

Posted
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting extremes - snow, wind, storms... love it all!
  • Location: Henley on Thames 35m asl (Oxfordshire/Berkshire borders)

1476667_10152608301333753_83352971139529

Gorgeous afternoon stroll but barely 2oC out there. Wrap up warm if you're out and about tonight!

Edited by Iggy912
  • Like 2

Posted

A min of -5.9c before a bit of cloud caused it to rise a few degrees 5am, so 0.8c warmer than the night before.

Max reached 8.2c as a light southerly breeze started so a bit warmer than expected. However it was brief so some patchy frost remained in sheltered spots with the ground still frozen.

Dropped quickly again this eve, now 0.9c.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Dropped from a mighty 1.7c at 2.12pm to -0.6c already :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all.

maxed out at 5.9c dropping like a stone down to 2c now, early frost before the milder air moves in tommorow. :nonono::sorry:

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

South/south west wind picking up now,sign of things to come. :(

Last 3 days have been great,3 frosts on the trot,2 long walks with the dogs,breaking ice in the puddles.

All ready,this winter beats the whole of the last one.

If that's it for this time well,i'll be sad but at least i've seen a bit of ice. Not to shabby for down here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

After a low of -5.3c in the early hours, a few mist patches and cloud rolled in early morning. Clear blue skies this afternoon with glorious sunshine, a high of 3.3c. 

Managed to get the last balloon flight of 2014 today, i was retrieving. Doghouse Pub,Abingdon to Great Missendon,Bucks in 1 1/2hrs.

Frosty again now, with a temperature of -1.6c. 3mph SW.

post-15543-0-08325400-1419966537_thumb.j post-15543-0-14449100-1419966544_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Its a tropical -1c out, funny how you get used to certain weather conditions quite quickly doesn't seem that bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

what a beautiful last three days I have had working out in the cold air and seeing some winter sunshine also!

Massive comedown to feel those westerly winds blow in this afternoon but still a lovely winters evening out there now....... So fresh!

Anyway always next time and maybe not long to wait

Edited by Argyle1980

Posted

This is the kind of set up where you get large local temp variations and inversions around this area, as a milder flow overrides colder air in the valleys.

Here at the bottom of the valley it's currently -3.2c, yet a vantage vue weather station under a mile to my west and only 45m higher is currently reading +4.1c. Normally it's 2-3c warmer on clear calm nights but have occasionally seen it higher like now.

Posted

You South Westerners have seemingly done pretty well out of this spell. I've been keeping tabs and places like Bournemouth and Exeter have been surprisingly chilly, and many other places in your region even colder. Not that often that your neck of the woods is the coldest in the country.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

-1.4C here. It seems more frosty than this morning, even the pavements are white.

Yea I just went outside for a breath of fresh air and there's a good Hoar type frost forming, dew points must have risen with the onset of a more westerly airmass, will make for a very pretty early morning if temps remain around or below freezing. :)

Posted

Just woke up and noticed the temp differences in my previous post have increased, 30 mins ago -3.8c here, and less than a mile to my west and 45m higher it was +6.3c, a difference of 10.1c! :o

Currently -3.1c/+6.8c

There's a steep hill just to my east which rises to over 100m where the road is (and over 212m to my SE, 247m to my NE).. must be odd walking or driving down that and seeing a temp drop of 10c..

This doesn't show the station just to my west or any close hilltop stations unfortunately, but shows some of the temp variance around this area at 5:30 with a pocket of colder air here and towards Exeter while the coast and Axe valley to the east is +7/+8c.. I'm the -4c station.. 

post-7593-0-58911500-1420004732_thumb.pn

Large temp differences along other parts of the south coast too.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

there was frost on the car last night at midnight but the temp must have risen though the night as most of it had melted away

Edited by PompeyFC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

temps seem to have been shooting up quite rapidly, icy patches on paths etc. have melted now.

That was the coldest snap-let we have had in ages it was great lets hope we get another before winters end

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

Minimum of -3.6c, around 4am, but temps have been rising since & the frost that's been around for 3 days has all but thawed, apart from odd patches in sheltered areas, looks like the Atlantic is on its way!