Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Have you seen Fergies latest tweet?

The one that says reduced risk further south???

Fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So have our snow showers forecast tomorrow been downgraded risk wise as well? :sorry:

Very mild here at the moment. 8.4c

Posted

So have our snow showers forecast tomorrow been downgraded risk wise as well? :sorry:

Very mild here at the moment. 8.4c

It's all been downgraded, the easterly is now in tatters, high pressure sinking etc, and that was with cross model agreement!!

Fromey

Posted

It's all been downgraded, the easterly is now in tatters, high pressure sinking etc, and that was with cross model agreement!!

Fromey

No real surprise there imo.

I posted in another thread that i've basically written off first 2 weeks of January.

This Winter absolutely reeks of a cr#p winter to rival the late 90s/early noughties.

Dunno why but it just does.

The soothsayers in the mad discussion thread may talk about "building blocks" and "background signals", but, all bar a few of the genuine knowledgeable posters, most are just repeatedly churning out stuff seen on the internet.

Rant/moan over........for now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Incredibly windy in Exeter, wondering whether they've forecasted the wind strength incorrectly...

Went to watch bbc weather on bbc news and incompletely skipped overnights weather and went to the weather from 8am tomorrow morning!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

No real surprise there imo.

I posted in another thread that i've basically written off first 2 weeks of January.

This Winter absolutely reeks of a cr#p winter to rival the late 90s/early noughties.

Dunno why but it just does.

The soothsayers in the mad discussion thread may talk about "building blocks" and "background signals", but, all bar a few of the genuine knowledgeable posters, most are just repeatedly churning out stuff seen on the internet.

Rant/moan over........for now.

Mind you even the more seasoned members were saying this it, cold and snow high going into scandy etc etc, all ranting over the best charts they've seen in sometime!! Even in the strat thread they were nearly wetting there pants And what do we end up with????

Fromey

Edited by fromey
  • Like 1

Posted

Fromey

Yup, mind it's mainly the few runs and ensembles showing the cold/snowy options that are posted so often in that thread it seems a better picture than the models show overall in reality.

• Like 1

Posted

Spent from 16 - 21:30 down on the beach @ Durley Chine in the pouring rain. Fortunately sat inside the pub (not drinking), just watching the rain lashing against the windows. So different to yesterday where doing the same thing would have been very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted

There's been a pressure drop of 26mb in less than 24hrs. Not too shabby!

That's an official "bomb" I believe as the rating is 1mb each hour during a 24hour period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That's an official "bomb" I believe as the rating is 1mb each hour during a 24hour period.

Yup. It had fallen 27.8mb in 24hrs according to my Davis, before I left for the pub. It's a shame it wasn't the low that was progged a few days ago.. Purely for statistical purposes of couse?! :)

Lovely pics I'm seeing on here and twitter of the snow. I'm only a tad jealous! :laugh:

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

don't go in the midlands thread if you want to keep your sanity, (good for them but jealous)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Depressed now. Especially now that the models are looking at reverting to the zonal train after the next week (unless I'm misinterpreting things)... Looking forward to some frost and fog but really hope we don't go back to mild South westerlies. I just want to witness a channel low.. Is it too much to ask?

• Like 1

Posted

We recently had a shorting power cable near us producing bright green flashes. Seems to have stopped now though.

It's pretty windy though nothing especially unusual - many times windier last winter and also at least once this Autumn .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Depressed now. Especially now that the models are looking at reverting to the zonal train after the next week (unless I'm misinterpreting things)... Looking forward to some frost and fog but really hope we don't go back to mild South westerlies. I just want to witness a channel low.. Is it too much to ask?

Could very well have had one today if the weather had behaved! 

Temperature falling fast now, bit late though as the precipitation has moved away.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Mind you even the more seasoned members were saying this it, cold and snow high going into scandy etc etc, all ranting over the best charts they've seen in sometime!! Even in the strat thread they were nearly wetting there pants And what do we end up with????

Fromey

I cant see anything myself either its utter tosh and forgive me for moaning but not even close to an average winter so far and very little hope going forward. :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Temperature dropping now after a high of 7.8c just over an hour ago.. Now 4.6c as the low departs SE.

post-15543-0-36714800-1419639401_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

is there an more precip?

Looks to have clear d these parts now with the odd wintry mix off the W coast and far NW.

Posted

Yup. It had fallen 27.8mb in 24hrs according to my Davis, before I left for the pub. It's a shame it wasn't the low that was progged a few days ago.. Purely for statistical purposes of couse?! :)

Lovely pics I'm seeing on here and twitter of the snow. I'm only a tad jealous! :laugh:

Or if you want to use the 'more technical' term... Explosive Cyclogenesis  :whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

I posted this on the Wales forum during a fit of frustration and self-pity, but I'm sure you guys down in the Southwest share our feelings!

------------------------------------

Forgive my despondency and negativity, but almost a third of the meteorological winter has now passed by without a significant snow event for most of us and it's safe to say that, bar a few sleety showers tomorrow, the rest of the month is a write-off and with milder, unsettled weather set to return in the New Year. Before we know it it'll be late March with longer, warmer days which will be a welcome relief if this winter continues on its current path.

The last comparable cluster of cold winters prior to 2008/9-2012/13 was 1977/8-1981/2 and during those four-and-a-bit year there were two major blizzards from which Southwestern Britain bore the brunt (Feb 78 and Jan 82), that's not to mention the generally very snowy winter of 1978/9 and the equally snowy December '81.

Despite the cluster of cold winters in recent years, what have we in South Wales (and more particularly our friends in Southwest England) had to show for it? A couple of moderate falls of snow and one admittedly very decent fall, IMBY at least, in December 2010. We even missed out on any meaningful snow in March 2013, the "coldest since 1962", during which North Wales was absolutely buried.

Thank you, St. Scumbag the Saint of Snow.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1