Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Well the latest gfs charts are not so good for down here as the overnights, as ever hunt for snow is long and winding!  Swings and roundabouts I guess. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Overnight low of 11.9°C

Currently 12.7°C - some bright intervals but very windy.

we will have to wait and see what mother nature chucks at us.

A good dose of rain and wind, for my part of the world I expect?! :laugh:

Posted

Well the latest gfs charts are not so good for down here as the overnights, as ever hunt for snow is long and winding!  Swings and roundabouts I guess. 

Basingstoke got less roundabouts that the current weather forecasts :hi:

Posted

Really balmy wind out there today! 12.5c at the moment and some brightness between the Stratocumulus.

As for the cold chances around or just after Christmas I would like snow to hold off until after Saturday 27th because I am helping organise important events as part of the annual local derby football match!

Posted

Really balmy wind out there today! 12.5c at the moment and some brightness between the Stratocumulus.

As for the cold chances around or just after Christmas I would like snow to hold off until after Saturday 27th because I am helping organise important events as part of the annual local derby football match!

Use an orange ball and paint your own yellow lines in the snow! This year's  christmas tip  :w00t: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Use an orange ball and paint your own yellow lines in the snow! This year's  christmas tip  :w00t: 

Used to love watching footy with snow on the ground and the fabled orange ball. Flashback to the 80's.

Posted

Well there is always a chance Andy

Chart weatherbell

post-12275-0-92549000-1418925027_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

i think the MOD thread need 200mg of prozax stat and hide the razor blades. :nonono::rofl:

Its going to be bumpy ride.

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Oh well,i'll put my new snowboard away again. :wallbash:

My new years resolution,become a "mildy",far less stressful.

• Like 1

Posted

Hello Everyone.

First off I would like to say how nice it is to see some familiar faces in here, and secondly as much as everyone including myself wants to see some colder weather there are times where I do like it mild especially when you work in a warehouse 6-2 and its been nice the last 2 mornings, but I do love to see the colder weather, fingers crossed most get what they want. Still very mild tonight at 11.6°C 93% RH DP 11°C 6.0mm Rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Revolting weather today, unusually mild, especially now, and just damp all day. Looking forward to some sunshine tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

need something else into the Xmas holiday period.

Xmas day, Boxing Day....

Then maybe a few snow days just before New Years eve!

Not to much to ask for.

Just please no more mild weather .

• Like 1

Posted

12 - 12.5c from noon yesterday until this morning and temp is dropping slowly this morning.

A windy afternoon and night here, 20 mph average with some 35mph gusts.

3mm of rain early morning, quite a damp week

Looking like a dry few days coming up over the weekend.

Thought I would have a look in the MOD thread, mixed views in there, so still nothing def yet on that colder spell and snow just after Christmas for us.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Complete reversal on charts now and mild is looking more favourable down here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Bright sunny start to the day now the grey cloudy boring mild dross of the last couple of days has been shunted away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

Don't think i like Ian's tweet much tbh. Think for us,down here,his reference to severe weather can only mean 1 thing,GALES AND RAIN.

Couldn't stand a repeat of last winter :help:

Posted

Perfect morning for my bracing 2 hour walk around this edge of Salisbury Plain with clear blue sky, bright sunshine and a fresh to strong NW wind with the temperature still falling at 7.6c after peaking overnight at 11.8c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Much better already with bright blue skies and sunshine and temperatures lower than overnight, although not cold. 6.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ian F and Tamara have just posted very interesting comments on the MOD board, things *could* be getting exciting now... I will be glued to the model output for the next week, talk of cyclogenisis and warm air from the south interacting with cold pool over the UK, this may only mean one thing..... CHANNEL LOW! (Correct me if I'm wrong) and all dependent on the paths they take/ how far the cold air reaches across the UK (please, please be across our region), looking like a very exciting end to the year I yhink.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Ian F and Tamara have just posted very interesting comments on the MOD board, things *could* be getting exciting now... I will be glued to the model output for the next week, talk of cyclogenisis and warm air from the south interacting with cold pool over the UK, this may only mean one thing..... CHANNEL LOW! (Correct me if I'm wrong) and all dependent on the paths they take/ how far the cold air reaches across the UK (please, please be across our region), looking like a very exciting end to the year I yhink.

Yeah, all finely poised. I think our location could see some interesting weather if the cold air digs far enough South.

If it doesn't, then a repeat of last Winter, but a little cooler sounds on the cards.

First option please....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I think the reference is more about the low tracking further north rather than a channel low, because we wouldn't really see much in the way of strong winds (which is what is being hinted at)

Obviously, these aren't to be taken at face value yet, but they give an idea of what we're up against..

post-15177-0-95244500-1418993605_thumb.ppost-15177-0-61493400-1418993617_thumb.p

I expect the snow aspect of things would be, a; In the North, as the low draws in colder air on tne northern flank, or b; from the North, filtering down to the South after the low exits the UK.

A channel low isn't out of the question of course but I'd be sceptical about that.

All in all, an interesting period of weather coming up, especially for those who like a bit of variety. A bit of a headache for the forecasters though, even more so because of the festive period.

• Like 2

Posted

I think the reference is more about the low tracking further north rather than a channel low, because we wouldn't really see much in the way of strong winds (which is what is being hinted at)

Obviously, these aren't to be taken at face value yet, but they give an idea of what we're up against..

attachicon.gifviewimage (11).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (10).png

I expect the snow aspect of things would be, a; In the North, as the low draws in colder air on tne northern flank, or b; from the North, filtering down to the South after the low exits the UK.

A channel low isn't out of the question of course but I'd be sceptical about that.

All in all, an interesting period of weather coming up, especially for those who like a bit of variety. A bit of a headache for the forecasters though, even more so because of the festive period.

Thought the mention of a channel low a few days ago was a reach too far. Saved me being pelted by garden refuse anyway.

• Like 1