Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Had a lovely sunrise this morning, but it was very quickly overtaken by grey and stayed that way ever since.  Now it's that fine drizzle out there in a strengthening wind.  Max temp has shown as 7.9°C, but it feels way, way colder.

post-8165-0-66462400-1418142696_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

As one of the quieter regions, how we doing out there? I was amazed to just how quickly the wind speed picked up this afternoon. Right now averaing 22mph & gusting 34mph down in the 'arbour..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Coldest night of the winter last night. Got down to -1C around 11.30pm temps since risen to 5c now.

Coldest night of the year here, too, at -1.8C this morning. It was pretty blowy walking the dog this evening as well - gusting to 30mph.

Looking forward to coming out the other side of these Atlantic storms on Friday for a lovely period of cold :cold::yahoo:

Posted

Anybody around this area can provide me with a daily rain total tomorrow as I've just replaced my base unit buts it seems to be reading on rainfall 10times more than it should? So I need to verify with a local reading please? Mapantz any chance of a figure please, and the time as I record 9am to 9am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Anybody around this area can provide me with a daily rain total tomorrow as I've just replaced my base unit buts it seems to be reading on rainfall 10times more than it should? So I need to verify with a local reading please? Mapantz any chance of a figure please, and the time as I record 9am to 9am.

I had 5.6mm on my Davis and 5.7mm on my Netatmo. :good:

I wouldn't quite call it mild at the moment but I did go out with just a jumper on. 12.5C currently, which certainly doesn't feel cold. I'm looking forward to Thursday night/Friday morning- gonna be rough for a few hours! :D

I've just checked the manual gauge, and that's a tad under 6mm.

Sometimes I get discrepancies when it is very windy, particularly on the Davis, so I have a manual gauge to check against.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Bazaar wind just picked up as if a squall line has gone through and now it is quiet again- nothing though on the radar? .... Hmm

Posted

Mornin' Souwesters, a quiet night by all reckoning here anyway. Now on to Thurs/Fri. Time to look at the charts to check the track of this next depression.

Portland in @ 50mph

Solent  in @ 48mph

Poole Harbour in @ 42mph

As an aside

Thanks for the rainfall reading, now that has blown me away, as I have a reading of 24.4mm which is approx 4 times the estimated reading, that's not something I can change with a flick of a switch, a factor of 10 maybe but a factor of 4, damn so much for ebay purchases   :(

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Patchy clouds and clear skies and temperatures sliding a little over the last hur or so. Currently 5.6C with not much wind to speak of, Full data here:-

http://www.norton-ra...o.uk/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'd advise that you don't go into the MOD thread just now if you're focussing on the longer-term, because things aren't suggested to be too pretty for snow-producing synoptics when all is said and done. However, that is not to say the next three to four days don't hold some interest for a few of us, again favoured places have to be the higher hills around the SW and maybe Mulls, sorry the Dark Knight might be one of the lucky ones to see some temporary snow cover over the coming days.

Despite being in the immediate timeframe, one will have to watch things carefully as there is a definite risk of wintriness in the NWP outputs right through to the end of the weekend and minute swings would extend the risk North or South and potentially displace the snow potential somewhere outside of our region.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Another quick analysis of the NetWX-MR (paid for Netweather charts) overnight run suggests a very windy period with highest gusts in the region of 60 to perhaps 70mph along coastal districts, more generally up to 50mph inland. This will also produce a few hours of heavy rain during the early hours of Friday and its as once it has passed through during Friday daytime and into Saturday that the potential for wintry showers increases. So right now as mentioned a few days back by AWD and myself amongst others, Friday and Saturday are recommended as days to watch for possible chances to witness snowflakes in your lamp-posts, although currently a low risk of this happening but we should certainly keep up with the forecasts.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Pretty frequent blustery showers for the last few hours, never believe the forecasts for a mostly dry day when there is LOW pressure and a W/NW flow ; the Bristol Channel shower maker is likely to be in operation it's just pot luck as to where the showers track!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Cool with sunny spells pretty much sums up the weather today.

Not much to get excited about in this part of the country apart from a stiff breeze at the end of the week.  :sorry:

Posted

Not forecast but worth a mention is the fact that these showers are falling as sleet and hail here on Mendip, slightly better than the bog standard usual rain that was forecast  :friends:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Not forecast but worth a mention is the fact that these showers are falling as sleet and hail here on Mendip, slightly better than the bog standard usual rain that was forecast  :friends:

Lucky git  :p  :good:

Posted

Lucky git  :p  :good:

I can hear the splats against the windows again as I type I just hope it isn't the closest I get this winter :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I can hear the splats against the windows again as I type I just hope it isn't the closest I get this winter :cc_confused:

Are you going skiing this winter?!

Posted

Are you going skiing this winter?!

pssst Don't tell anyone but I shall be skiing 3rd until the 10th of jan :sorry:

I wonder if I can manage the 8th ski trip in a row without ever seeing a flake of snow... :angry:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

pssst Don't tell anyone but I shall be skiing 3rd until the 10th of jan :sorry:

I wonder if I can manage the 8th ski trip in a row without ever seeing a flake of snow... :angry:

While we get buried in snow you mean?! Haha! No - surely you won't. Fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Getting pretty blustery out there. Mostly sunny day in this neck of the woods but since the wind has turned more westerly, the showers are now streaming in. A recent heavier one was also a bit slushy on the windows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Still hope for the tops of the moors getting some white stuff tomorrow night. I'm going to be heading out at first light on Saturday with the dog to try and find some.

• Like 1