Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest and Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Brighter than I expected thus far with some sun poking through the mist and Stratocumulus. 5.9C currently. Full data here:-

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very foggy until half an hour ago with a temperature hovering at 4C but clearing up nicely now and up to 5.9C. Going by forecasts I wasn't expecting much sunshine today.

Posted

I'm near Salisbury today and it's similarly bright which is a pleasant surprise. There seems to be a breeze which has picked up so that must have helped lift the murk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Grey and overcast this morning in a noticeable but mild SE wind. Currently 9.1C. Full details and webcam image below:

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/index.html

Posted

Surely I'm not the only one who gets wound up on the MOD thread where everything is T+144 gor cold etc. The same was said last week and the week before.

All harping on about mid next week, it'll be damp and dreary I bet. I hope I'm wrong.

2 to 3 days in advance tops and via BBC news 24 is the safest bet.

No wonder three is squabbling in there every day. Ridiculous.

Edited by Snow shut work
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Surely I'm not the only one who gets wound up on the MOD thread where everything is T+144 gor cold etc. The same was said last week and the week before.

All harping on about mid next week, it'll be damp and dreary I bet. I hope I'm wrong.

2 to 3 days in advance tops and via BBC news 24 is the safest bet.

No wonder three is squabbling in there every day. Ridiculous.

Although I tend to agree with you, a colder start to December is looking on the cards now. This is even backed up by the MetO outlook:

"Temperatures often below average and rather cold at times, especially where fog lingers, but somewhat milder in the far northwest."

What happens after that is anybody's guess and that's what makes it enjoyable. I'm kinda glad nobody knows what's going to happen 2 weeks+ from now. It always gives you hope that cold weather is just around the corner.

Posted

One of the main things is there are so many people who just want a winter wonderland snowfest, that if there is anything less than that showing then toys get tossed out of prams.

To be honest it would benefit our region to have a benign dry winter after last year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

One of the main things is there are so many people who just want a winter wonderland snowfest, that if there is anything less than that showing then toys get tossed out of prams.

To be honest it would benefit our region to have a benign dry winter after last year!

Much as I hope we get at least one good dumping of snow this winter, I would happily settle for a very dry winter after the last 18months or so.

• Like 1

Posted

one particular aspect of the MOD in winter that i enjoy is the "anything below average is a victory" approach. Pouring rain forecast or endless days of grey mist and somebody posts "at least it will be fractionally below average". 

I don't really care about all that old guff. I'd rather have a week of snow and the rest of the winter be mild than an endless grey void that ends up "slightly below the 30 year average". 

Endless, grey, void here today in Fleet. 

Posted

Ok so this week I purchased a set of snow socks for the new car, feeling a tad more hopeful than the last set that was never used and remain in the packing they were shipped in. If it wasn't for the fact the tyre size was different the other ones would be good for a many years to come, given our climate!

Armed & ready, more with a windscreen cleaner than snow shovel I think after last year.

Actually a rubber dinghy might be a good bet following last year, just in case..

Something somewhat drier this year would be well appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Much as I hope we get at least one good dumping of snow this winter, I would happily settle for a very dry winter after the last 18months or so.

We have had good weather almost all of spring and summer bar the occasional interruption this year? Its best summer I have seen in years. :cc_confused:

We need a hard cold and snowy winter to kill of those garden bugs that have flourished over the last 18 months. :hi:  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

another day of bland mist and murk.....  :bad:

Posted

There appears to be a band of rain in the English Channel heading NW, was it forecast?

I assume it is the boundary between the murky air and clearer air due to arrive and bring a sunnier day tomorrow.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

There appears to be a band of rain in the English Channel heading NW, was it forecast?

I assume it is the boundary between the murky air and clearer air due to arrive and bring a sunnier day tomorrow.

It's here and hissing down right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

We have had good weather almost all of spring and summer bar the occasional interruption this year? Its best summer I have seen in years. :cc_confused:

We need a hard cold and snowy winter to kill of those garden bugs that have flourished over the last 18 months. :hi:

We have had a lot of usable weather this summer I agree and whilst it has been warm, it has also been wet in my part of the region with only a short dry period in early summer. The rate the grass has grown this year has been unbelievable and the fruit in the garden has also bore this out. I didn't need to water the crops either.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Appalling forecast for this evening at such close range, where surely the opposites of:

bone dry post-992-0-84298600-1417209505_thumb.png

and soaking wet post-992-0-21071900-1417209521_thumb.png

ought to be discernible.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yup Enforcer can see that band of rain creeping up for past few hours and no update or anything rather strange.

Heavy Rain falling, 9.9c.

Posted

Oh hello, more posts for T144 and T168 in the MOD thread.

My all time favourite figures. So 7th snd 8I h December. It was the 3rd December a couple if days ago we were into cold.

At this rate and dogs@@t predictions it may happen...................now let me guess 26th March. God damn I may be right.

Edited by Snow shut work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I agree,yes welcome back to the South Coast!

Through the summer I spent a lot of time 'watching our neighbours' in the SE as their weather reports were more relevant than those of Wales and Midlands but didn't like to post as it might have been seen as 'off topic' coming from a 'different region'.

I find thunderstorms along the South Coast particularly interesting as they stream over the Channel, and at this time of the year am always looking for that elusive Channel low in the hope it does the business.

I know what you mean, egret. It is difficult to 'join in' when you're first to get the weather. Also just too many people - even though I recognise a lot of the names from the days when I only used to post in the Snow Reports.

One beautiful day this week, even though trying to defrost the windscreen in my new diesel is trying my patience after years driving a petrol car. Min temp was 0.3C, so that would be the famous IoW factor keeping it several degrees warmer than most of you had. Nice bit of mist yesterday, otherwise a grim week.

Mum was in that Lunnon on Sunday and she said there were wet flakes of snow in amongst the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Thin Cloud. Sunny. 9.9c. easterly breeze 9 km/h.