Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Evening all

Nice day here, but breezy at work down by the coast but nothing major, just made it a bit nippy. Friday looks interesting! Wind is ok, but some nice snow would be better!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Had to nip out to the library and it feels very cold out in the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Thought I'd post this in here too as its relevant for our area

Not sure If I've got this totally right, but if you flick through the GFS you'll see where where our secondary low comes from out in the Atlantic 

Anyway, If this is right, the wave is slightly further north and 3mb deeper than the GFS had forecast for this time

I've backtracked the GFS and surface charts, and this wave does seem to be our low for Friday

low2_zpsf25e8db2.png

low_zps3243d3c9.png

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone  :) Still learning here!

Forgot to mention both images are from 1800 hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Not 100% sure will have to look at the models properly, I thought our low was coming from a wave developing in the iso bars in the storm already over us.

It could be as it goes, we will have to see what the 18z shows, as it's will defo be in the analysis.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So then the apparent excitement for tomorrow night into Friday

39-21PUK.GIF?10-12

Chance of gales to the south of this shortwave as it runs along the southern flank of the main trough.

42-574PUK.GIF?10-12

Potential for back edge snow, but rather uneasy about this as the 850s look very marginal so it could be an all rain event, which appears to be the current metoffice call. 

Saturday looks colds with 850s of around -6/7C. So temperatures probably in low single figures. Shame the wind looks off-shore as any showers would very likely be wintry in nature. 850s do vary between the models.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Yep the secondary low I was talking bout earlier Although I thought it was a lot closer than that (off the west coast of Ireland)  but maybe im dreaming, bedtime methinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

9 o'clock analysis on the low has it as a closed system still at 1028 though. Not sure what that means for friday, but I'm going to keep watching it develop.

Forgot link.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2014121021&size=standard〈=en&area=eur

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It's cold out :cold: even though it is 5.5c, the breeze is icy :cold: Those showers will soon be blowing in! Friday is looking a little wet and wild! The breeze has really picked up now and the gusts are blowing my door knocker thingy and it keeps waking everyone up! :lazy:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

Current Met Warning 

Greater London
  1. Yellow early warning of wind From: 0010 on Fri 12 December To: 0900 on Fri 12 December
    Updated 10 December at 10:48

There is the potential for gales, severe along some coasts, and accompanied by heavy rain, to spread across southern areas of England and Wales during the early hours of Friday, before easing during the morning. Gusts may reach 50 to 60 mph inland and perhaps around 70 mph in some exposed coastal districts. This is an update of the warning issued on Tuesday, somewhat reducing the northward limit of the impacts due to the gales. 

The public should be aware of the risk of damage to trees, disruption to travel and possibly to power supplies.

Posted

Sorry posted in wrong regional thread, apologies.

Edited by Polar Side

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Cool and breezy this morning in Essex, nice bright morning again though with very little cloud

Still not expecting anything too exciting tomorrow, very doubtful we'll see any snow in the SE and looking at the high res models, gusts will struggle to top 100kph along the south coast, a windy morning for sure but nothing too noteworthy

Edited by Harps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

A few hefty showers have made it into EA this morning, quite surprised to see them so far east.

Thought someone might see a few flakes/lumps of ice in that lot.

Posted

Morning

Another cold but frost free start here, windy with a few light showers after the early heavy showers came this way.

Posted

Yes similar conditions here now, cold wind but nice and sunny, even managed 6.2oC in the shed.

Posted

Just back from a trip into town and windy with some short showers, some of us were wondering if there was a bit of sleet in it or if it was just the way the wind was blowing it around.  Cold out there all the same.

Posted

Rather depressing hearing all the Scottish snow reports. :(

To them everything seems trivial except 20cm+ of snow... shows how poor we do in comparison.

Saturday is looking best but there's no PPN about!! this is really disappointing.

Posted

Took a walk to the wild side (OK the near by village) to see the parents, and it felt cold in the wind so wrapped up warm.  Not raining at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Took a walk to the wild side (OK the near by village) to see the parents, and it felt cold in the wind so wrapped up warm.  Not raining at the moment.

Yes - felt cold in that wind here also. The lack of brightness didn't help either. Oh well, we are in winter mate. Just want some lying snow to make me feel better.

Posted

Yes - felt cold in that wind here also. The lack of brightness didn't help either. Oh well, we are in winter mate. Just want some lying snow to make me feel better.

Been bright and sunny for much of the day, I walked back in the late dusk and did notice some cloud moving from the west and it has started to rain here now.