Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

guys look at the thicknesses-

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2014/12/27/basis06/ukuk/th85/14122803_2706.gif  1290 Line only lands after midnight-

So between 9 & 3 its borderline related to PPN intensity....

S

What's this Steve sorry been away for a few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

nothing much, just saying the window is small to say the least, as it become cold enough so the PPN starts to die.....

We may see a few flakes, but nothing special!

How do you see things going forwards January etc?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Just been looking from the garden over the hills but no snow to be seen.

There was a slushy covering at Whitfield and Dover Castle area for an hour between 2-3pm.  I've got a couple of photos.  Best case scenario is from 7-midnight.  There is potential for hills to the N and E of Dover to attain as much (lol but beggars cant be choosers) as 2cms as the wind veers E of N from around 7pm and the uppers fall from their current -5 to as low as -8 but after midnight chances diminish as the coldest air is also the driest!  So as I say eastern most Kent, with altitude, from 7pm.  And a bit of luck.

Edited by Whether Idle
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks WI, I'll remain hopeful then and try a bit of lamppost watching later!

Go for it, a radar watch is key to avoid wasted effort on the lamppost though.  You are in pole position if you have any sort of altitude there DS.

Posted

There was a slushy covering at Whitfield and Dover Castle area for an hour between 2-3pm. I've got a couple of photos. Best case scenario is from 7-midnight. There is potential for hills to the N and E of Dover to attain as much (lol but beggars cant be choosers) as 2cms as the wind veers E of N from around 7pm and the uppers fall from their current -5 to as low as -8 but after midnight as the coldest air is also the driest! So as I say eastern most Kent, with altitude, from 7pm. And a bit of luck.

Wishful thinking but -8 850s over warm waters the gradient may cause decent convection, especially if a trough is about?

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

Wishful thinking but -8 850s over warm waters the gradient may cause decent convection, especially if a trough is about?

We have already had snow with -4 uppers earlier this afternoon, so with -7 the chances are higher, so I'm not thinking wishfully, just logically.

The main issue is whether any showers will actually make landfall!

Edited by Whether Idle

Posted

It probably is wishful thinking for today, but it was very cold uppers over a warm North sea that helped cause the great snow event of 1991.

So a warm N sea at this time of year is never a disadvantage as far as I am concerned!

Was at Crowborough about an hour ago and had some very light "wintery mix"

Posted

Invested in this app Home & Dry hope it's worth the money £1.99 direct hit for me looks set to hit Central London at 17:15 - 17:30 no longer tracking SW but S. Has anyone got anything out of this?

post-19153-0-49173000-1419699576_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

We Have Snow and rain mix here, kids are getting excited bless them. Looking at the chart it doesn't look like it's going to last long.

Posted

Dusting on roof's grass ect 

NMM show's another band of showers developing behind the one we have atm, 

Some parts will see a dusting as the showers move inland and fizzle out though the evening

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm/runs/2014122712/nmm_uk1-1-8-0.png?27-17

Edited by zubzero

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The problem is more with the wind, through this evening the wind drops away and becomes more Easterly than the North-Easterly we've had today, that and the increasing pressure is going to kill off any shower activity we've seen.