Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

I appreciate that I really do but after weather watching for years now only to be disappointed I have given up all hope.  yes we had an hour of snow (woopee) but now it is rain again and the temperature is rising rather than falling.  I don't see how that is going to change now unfortunately.  one hour of snow is just nowhere near sufficient for a winter worth of weather in my eyes.  our winters are definitely getting poorer snow wise.

It'll change as the low moves away from your area later tonight, you are much better positioned than most.

Also, it's not even January, and it was only one winter where our region didn't see any snow. We'll almost certainly see some this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Seems the Essex weather centre has pretty much written off snow for our area now after looking at the progress of the low during the afternoon, shame....oh well onto the next snow potential it seems  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

Guys, let's wait until tomorrow morning until we lose hope. Can already see sleet/snow heading into norfolk. Only a matter of time before it goes south

Posted

Hi everybody

I have just looked at the met office site and as of 2024hrs update we in kent have been totally removed from the snow risk area for friday and saturday  :sorry:

Edited by PLANET THANET

Posted

Raining here, mainly light with a few flakes in the heavier bursts. According to the weather station on Wunderground closest to my location, temp is 3.1C and DP 2C. Hopefully conditions will become more favourable over the next few hours for some snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Indeed.

We had a conference call around 8PM with local authorities and the risk is now minimal. Here is our public update: https://www.facebook.com/EssexWeather/posts/579828625482921

All warnings are set to be removed for North London, Kent and Essex shortly.

Posted

The south was never going to be in a perfect position if we're honest. However, those further north in our region will almost certainly still see something later on. :)

Edited by saint

Posted

I appreciate that I really do but after weather watching for years now only to be disappointed I have given up all hope.  yes we had an hour of snow (woopee) but now it is rain again and the temperature is rising rather than falling.  I don't see how that is going to change now unfortunately.  one hour of snow is just nowhere near sufficient for a winter worth of weather in my eyes.  our winters are definitely getting poorer snow wise.

In climate terms the severe winters of 2009, 2010 and to a lesser extent 2011 were very recent. Last year was a wash-out but that is not unusual. To say you've given-up hope seems remarkably short-sighted. Bad winters in the second half of the eighties were pretty rare from memory. Despite a corker in 1987 I can still remember people banging on about how "we won't get snow again". 

This was a marginal event, I think you have to temper your aspirations. This is the UK not Canada, the US or even mainland Europe.

• Like 2

Posted

Indeed.

We had a conference call around 8PM with local authorities and the risk is now minimal. Here is our public update: https://www.facebook.com/EssexWeather/posts/579828625482921

All warnings are set to be removed for North London, Kent and Essex shortly.

You say ENE trajectory... Erm...

• Like 1

Posted

An ENE trajectory?

As it passed over the Welsh mountains the course changed but is now starting to head ESE again. New EURO4 due in at 21:15, hopefully some clarity on the rest of the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

As it passed over the Welsh mountains the course changed but is now starting to head ESE again. New EURO4 due in at 21:15, hopefully some clarity on the rest of the night.

It was clearly never going to go ENE, in fact it never even shifted ENE at all! I understand you have a lot more available data in front of you, but how could this system possibly move ENE when the Jet Stream was moving ESE?

http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=20141226072XRyQdxmQapbdbDBhuQp6G&file=output_6X5noc.gif

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 5

Posted

Was always an outside shot for those of us in Essex/Kent/London and further South. Game over for tonight. Perhaps a shot of some back edge wet snow in the early hours but no more than that. Chance of the odd wintry shower through Sat. Attentions must now turn to the next shot at some of the white stuff as we move into early/mid Jan.

Posted

18Z EURO4 now in... looking good for parts of Norfolk after midnight with several cm.

Elsewhere, Herts, Essex etc some wet snow on the back edge of the system. Maybe a dusting still on the Chilterns and areas above 150m.

Strong signal for showers to develop in bands tomorrow (Norfolk, Suffolk into Essex) but looking a mix of rain, sleet and snow. DPs rather high, not helped by the NE feed from a warm(ish) North Sea.

Heavier stuff off the Kent Coast at times, mostly rain.

Posted

I have had a wet snow shower just now. It has eased off to Small flakes will not do much as the ground is wet but nice to see snow falling from sky even if it was for a few mins only.

Edited by Snow Queen one
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

At least we won't have to stay up till silly o clock and be disappointed

Posted

NMM update later will be very interesting, winds for me are an increasing concern,

I think we could see gusts to 70mph along the southeast coast near 6am.

60mph possible for Greater London in the wrap around.

Pressure gradient is quite tight.

• Like 2

Posted

NMM update later will be very interesting, winds for me are an increasing concern,

I think we could see gusts to 70mph along the southeast coast near 6am.

60mph possible for Greater London in the wrap around.

Pressure gradient is quite tight.

Also circulating around LP sleet/snow showers blizzard like conditions for the high ground. I'd think gusts of 70mph would warrant a yellow even possibly an amber if coinciding with rush hour?

Posted

Also circulating around LP sleet/snow showers blizzard like conditions for the high ground. I'd think gusts of 70mph would warrant a yellow even possibly an amber if coinciding with rush hour?

Thankfully, there wont be too much of  a rush hour I don't think with the holidays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

or maybe down the whole bottle if the weather in our part of the woods is anything to go by. if we have rain here there is no chance of anything snowy in the south east and that's a definite im afraid

left Espom at 6c and now back in north Oxfordshire 5c. No cold mixed in here just rain

Edited by stewfox