Sign in to follow this  
mike Meehan

British Police Assisting Local Police at Calais?

In this morning's Daily Express it was reported that the French had requested the assistance of British Police to assist with the problem of the numerous refugees who congregate there to try and smuggle themselves over to the UK but this was declined by the British Authorities who said that this was a matter for the French to deal with.

Why? As I see it there is a tremendous problem in Calais with the amount of refugees who gather at the port and they have been plainly visible to me as I travel to catch the ferry so I can only imagine how tedious and frustrating it must be for the local inhabitants.

Even a spokesman from UKIP could not understand this decision.

Not only is the gathering of these refugees a problem for the French, it is also a problem for us because the reason they are gathered there is that our country is their intended destination.

For myself I see no problem at all in giving assistance, the British Police Service do it all the time between different forces here where and when it is needed.

I can see that there is a difference between the French system and ours in respect of the language and differences in law, especially in relation to powers of detention but I do not see this as a problem - I would guestimate that there are sufficient officers within the British Service who have a working knowledge of the French language and as for powers a local Judge would be in a position to bestow the same powers on the British Police as their French counterparts have to use within the port and immediate surrounding area which may well include the town of Calais.

Apart from the law and the language the job of maintaining order is very much the same in all democratic countries and as a retired officer myself I can see that there would be many British officers who would only be too pleased to give what assistance they can - after all it is something engrained into our vocation.

In the big scheme of things I would suggest that the costs would be minimal and if through this assistance we were to prevent a proportion of this refugees from arriving in the UK it could even be self supporting.

Personally I believe that co-operation between different forces is extremely important and we should not let the fact that there is 21 miles of water, a different law system and a different language deter us in this matter - these problems can be overcome, not only that it would help towards cementing more 'l'entente cordiale'.

Unfortunately I fear that the one's who made this decision have no realistic appreciation of the situation.

Or the French could just round them up, ship them out to a detention centre on some French owned island somewhere and process their assylum application accordingly.

Or the French could just round them up, ship them out to a detention centre on some French owned island somewhere and process their assylum application accordingly.

Agreed, but we have no power to hoist this on them - at least by showing we are willing to work together would open more possible avenues than just by simply washing our hands of the events in Calais. 

Do you know the origin of these people, Mike?

I'm surprised the French don't round them up and send them back to where they came from - they have been pretty aggressive about repatriating illegals in the past - why the dilly dallying with this particular group?

The french will not do that, when if their intended target was to stay in France... their would, But because its the UK Their expect us to pay them to stop them getting here. In other words so the french actually do their job 

mike Meehan, on 06 Nov 2014 - 14:55, said:

Agreed, but we have no power to hoist this on them - at least by showing we are willing to work together would open more possible avenues than just by simply washing our hands of the events in Calais. 

I take it this was not enough help? Yes that really big expansive fence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29098641

Oh and how about 12 million pounds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29294776

I think we done are fair share of helping them actually do their job 

Edited by lfcdude

Do you know the origin of these people, Mike?

I'm surprised the French don't round them up and send them back to where they came from - they have been pretty aggressive about repatriating illegals in the past - why the dilly dallying with this particular group?

They are from the trouble spots such as Somalia, Eritrea and Afghanistan - I suppose the French think that if they sit tight they will eventually trickles through at no further expense to themselves - I think it needs a good Euro think on this because technically they are supposed to be dealt with at their first point of entry which is often Italy or Spain when travelling from North Africa but with the free access around Europe they can travel as far as Calais without really being challenged.

Bearing in mind the politics and the poverty where they come from I don't think they can be blamed for trying but it would be physically impossible for us to accommodate all those who wish to come. The main attractions seem to be our over generous welfare and the fact that we are English speaking, the latter being a back edged compliment but it certainly ain't for our weather.

UKIP keeps on about stopping foreign aid but if we are eventually to build these countries up so that they can provide sustainable lives for their people this problem will never end so we and the rest of the developed world owe it to ourselves to aid and develop to the extent that these people will be able to live more happily in their homelands - it's a lot easier said that done because just to throw money at the situation does not help, the bad men merely intercept it and stick it in their back pocket, so such aid needs to be closely supervised. 

There are many good works being done around the world now such as sand dams and other ways of ensuring water supplies which by degrees are improving the lot of the locals but the other problem we have is that of repressive regimes - really they should be changed but the last thing we need is for the CIA to go in and do their usual thing which is to make bad worse - recent history has shown us that unilateral action by one nation, particularly the US, does not work. There should be a program authorised and backed by the UN to work in this direction - a line could be agreed by the UN as a whole detailing the minimum rights which are acceptable in today's world and where this is not being complied with then they will be authorised to take the necessary action to improve matters and increase the authority of the UN in order that they may achieve this.

With the world population ballooning to 9 billion by the middle of the century and probably over 10 billion by the end of the century it is essential that there is some sort of control over living space and it more balanced out, otherwise chaos will ensue.

The french will not do that, when if their intended target was to stay in France... their would, But because its the UK Their expect us to pay them to stop them getting here. In other words so the french actually do their job 

I take it this was not enough help? Yes that really big expansive fence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29098641

Oh and how about 12 million pounds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29294776

I think we done are fair share of helping them actually do their job 

No I cant see that helping too much - in the first place this is a shared problem, so we should be more willing to do our bit help - if I were a Calais resident I would consider seriously about withholding my Taxe d'Habitation and my Taxe Fonciers, which is the same as council tax because it can't be fun living with this problem every day.

I can't see the big high fences doing very much to ameliorate the problem - they would be an eyesore and very likely impede bona fide travellers travelling to their ferry - in any case the refugees could re-locate to a 'peage' just down the road, or to a nearby service station and sneak on the lorries there - if they are stopped in that area it's pretty likely that they are going to the port. 

What is needed is more experience man power to fight this problem and that is where we should think about combining our forces together with using high tech systems of detection, whilst at the same time ensuring smooth passage of bona fide travellers - we don't want to end up with the same situation which we have at airports where there are endless queues to get through security.

Simply, it's all about supply and demand imho. We've created the demand and yet blame the French for the supply. WE need to deal with it, rather than procrastinate.

I have no idea why they are allowed to wander the streets.Lock them up process them and send them back

Edited by stewfox

No I cant see that helping too much - in the first place this is a shared problem, so we should be more willing to do our bit help - if I were a Calais resident I would consider seriously about withholding my Taxe d'Habitation and my Taxe Fonciers, which is the same as council tax because it can't be fun living with this problem every day.

I can't see the big high fences doing very much to ameliorate the problem - they would be an eyesore and very likely impede bona fide travellers travelling to their ferry - in any case the refugees could re-locate to a 'peage' just down the road, or to a nearby service station and sneak on the lorries there - if they are stopped in that area it's pretty likely that they are going to the port. 

What is needed is more experience man power to fight this problem and that is where we should think about combining our forces together with using high tech systems of detection, whilst at the same time ensuring smooth passage of bona fide travellers - we don't want to end up with the same situation which we have at airports where there are endless queues to get through security.

How isit shared? If France booted them out as their are illegals, Going from one EU country to another helped by the no showing passports borders in the EU, Again i have said so many times helps smugglers! Does not prevent, Their get to Calais then wow a actual border some smuggling! After no smuggling in the EU as no need, 

Their France should then pick them up send them home, It has nothing to do with us, France turns a blind eye expecting the UK tax payer to sort it out, 

Claim asylum in first EU country you make it two, Not the one with best benefits,  As if your running away from persecution you would be grateful, Any coming in this way should not have right to asylum and be sent home asap

Edited by lfcdude

How isit shared? If France booted them out as their are illegals, Going from one EU country to another helped by the no showing passports borders in the EU, Again i have said so many times helps smugglers! Does not prevent, Their get to Calais then wow a actual border some smuggling! After no smuggling in the EU as no need, 

Their France should then pick them up send them home, It has nothing to do with us, France turns a blind eye expecting the UK tax payer to sort it out, 

Claim asylum in first EU country you make it two, Not the one with best benefits,  As if your running away from persecution you would be grateful, Any coming in this way should not have right to asylum and be sent home asap

The intention of starting this thread was to discuss the merits of the British Police assisting the French Police in a problem which affects us both sides of the Channel.

As usual Mike, any thread like this will be hijacked by the usual UKIP trolls. The fact is, that most of the people at Calais are illegal. They are illegal in France & they would be illegal in the UK. It is for the French to deal with them, but if they think that the British police could help, I have no problem with that. As it is we are trolled with rubbish about these "wonderful" British benefits. That isn't true of course, but it won't stop the usual suspects.

As usual Mike, any thread like this will be hijacked by the usual UKIP trolls. The fact is, that most of the people at Calais are illegal. They are illegal in France & they would be illegal in the UK. It is for the French to deal with them, but if they think that the British police could help, I have no problem with that. As it is we are trolled with rubbish about these "wonderful" British benefits. That isn't true of course, but it won't stop the usual suspects.

Yes Dave, that is true, the problem is that they do seem so one sided and completely unrealistic - even though I am a fervent Europhile I would be the first one to agree that the EU is need of reform in many ways but the basic idea is good - I also believe that if the trolls were to have their way, England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom whatever you wish to call it would disappear ignominiously down the plug hole of history and for the sake of my children and grandchildren do not want this to happen at all. 

I also believe that it is a natural progression for units to grow larger with the passage of time i.e. from family, to tribal, to city, to region, to country, to bloc and man's history shows this overall basic pattern often as three steps forward and two back but the overall progression is there.