Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow Thread - Season 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

As per forecast, snowing nicely in the Italian Alps this evening and set to continue throughout Sunday.

Chart from Meteo.IT for Sunday 15th Feb post-20040-0-34529000-1423946964_thumb.p  Euro4 for mid-night tonight  post-20040-0-85344200-1423946973_thumb.g

Posted

Well a very quiet week on the Alps Snow Thread, probably reflective of a quiet period of weather being enjoyed there! Whilst you're sat at home or in the office, just dream about the lucky people over there enjoying fantastic snow conditions, beautiful sunny skies and temperatures that will encourage a longer lunch on the restaurant terrace sat in the sun!

High right over the Alps Wed 18th  post-20040-0-50249000-1424160321_thumb.p  With pleasant temps post-20040-0-04900500-1424160334_thumb.p

And this article from Wetter.at Austria says it all (extracts):

Dream-weather rescues ski season
Fantastic conditions on slopes now bring the major tourism boost.

Kaiser Weather in Austria! Now it's Go for snow. "It's a fairy tale, a dream weather" exults Kitzbühel Tourismus-Chairwoman Signe Reisch. The Austrian Weather Service reports at least one week perfect weather on the mountains. No wind, no clouds and temperatures just below 0 degrees to 2,000 meters.
Even the east of Austria is in the spring fever - the great weather attracts all out. "The whole week is forecast sun," says Bettina Wülfrath from the "Magic Mountain" Semmering on the final sprint for the ski season.

A run on the slopes: Ski are fully booked
And the slopes show up in top condition "We will (at Semmering) be safely open until Easter," said Wülfrath.

Full story in Austrian: http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Traum-Wetter-rettet-Ski-Saison/177121521

Next week is currently looking different, with a couple of snow events being suggested by the models. More about that later in the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Guten Morgan vom Katschberg. Brilliant sunshine and snow conditions for the middle of half term week. Pictures of the Tschaneck, mostly a black run but with a wide piste.Have a party of friends coming out next week from Blighty, sunshine , snow, possibly a bit too much beer and some ski-ing of course! Sounds good to me.

Cpost-3489-0-47365400-1424251400_thumb.jppost-3489-0-33569900-1424251431_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Nice shot of the Ritzensee Lake, Saalfeden with ice sports in operation. The morning cloud now lifting, sparking sunshine above the inversion with the Tirol mountains in the background. Quite a busy little town this en-route from Salzburg to Saalbach and some of the bigger Tirol resorts.

Cpost-3489-0-20829500-1424260234_thumb.jp

Posted

Some ominous signs of relatively apocalyptic weather next week in the Milky Way region starting to show up on GFS...  I somehow doubt I'll be seeing too much blue sky next week. On the plus side, there should be lots of powder around for me to play in on the snowboard!  I'm kind of glad I've just invested in some Oakley Prizm Rose lenses now.

JCgxzlV.png

Posted

Some ominous signs of relatively apocalyptic weather next week in the Milky Way region starting to show up on GFS...  I somehow doubt I'll be seeing too much blue sky next week. On the plus side, there should be lots of powder around for me to play in on the snowboard!  I'm kind of glad I've just invested in some Oakley Prizm Rose lenses now.

Heading out to Mayrhofen on 21st - Hope this high pressure doesn't last forever - need my powder fix :(

Hi Carled and Chris. Although at this range you can never be certain of model output, it's certainly looking at this stage like another notable period of snow coming up for the Alps next week. So if you're looking for a "powder fix" you hopefully won't be disappointed!

GFS runs over the last 36 hours have been consistent in showing snow arriving next Tues 24th Feb. From there on the model shows a very unsettled spell of weather for the mountains, with only the occasional drier interlude between the frequent arrival of fronts. Potentially you could be looking at it snowing right through to the end of your holiday, so there could be some considerable depths of fresh snow by the Friday!

Freezing level looks like it will typically be around 1200 to 1500m (but higher Thurs), so snow could be a bit 'wet' for lower slopes (and runs back down to Mayrhofen might suffer). 

Enjoy your holiday's guys (but be careful if you go off-piste as a report I've read this week says risks will remain higher than normal for the rest of this season) and if you possibly can, a post & pic from the resort would be brill. Ta!

Here's a few charts from today's GFS 12z run showing 850hPa, precipitation and freezing level. (And later this week look out for J10's more comprehensive forecast - hopefully the outlook won't have changed).

Tues 24th 12.00 post-20040-0-48265000-1424292309_thumb.p post-20040-0-45036700-1424292323_thumb.p post-20040-0-65572800-1424292350_thumb.p

Wed 25th 12.00 post-20040-0-55042600-1424292419_thumb.p post-20040-0-20616500-1424292437_thumb.p post-20040-0-77658700-1424292461_thumb.p

Thurs 26th 12.00 post-20040-0-39402000-1424292485_thumb.p post-20040-0-37973300-1424292511_thumb.p post-20040-0-01229300-1424292525_thumb.p

Posted

Hello, hello, hello! As I was proceeding down the slopes....

BFTP (Fred) and Carled will have to watch the level of blood in their alcohol stream! Hic!

post-20040-0-95342500-1424333572_thumb.j

On the large area of ​​the Milky Way, six officers from the local police patrol on the pistes until the end of the season, adding to the forces already in place during the weekends and holidays. A letter of intent was signed to this effect between the assessor to the local police of the Piedmont Giovanni Maria Ferraris region, the municipalities of Cesana, Claviere, Pragelato, Sauze di Cesana, Sauze-d'Oulx, Sestriere and Bardonecchia, and the operators of the resorts.

Said Giovanni Maria Ferraris; "You can rely on the agents of the local police, who are qualified ski and are entitled to control on the slopes. This means better security and support for users of ski areas. It discourages improper and dangerous behavior on skis, and at the same time it raises awareness of the application of safety rules, with control, such as mandatory helmet for young people".

Full story in the Savoie newspaper Le Dauphine (in French): http://www.ledauphine.com/montagne/2015/02/18/en-haute-vallee-de-suse-la-police-patrouille-sur-les-pistes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hi Malcolm

Lol thanks for that!!  Looks like some of my mountain stops will have to be of hot chocolate rather than my 'usual' chianti!  Snow amounts have as hoped increased greatly and it looks I've picked a heck of a time to go!!  Sauze currently 180 upper, 140 lower....with more heavy snow for next week.....SORTED!!

Fred

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Malcolm

Lol thanks for that!!  Looks like some of my mountain stops will have to be of hot chocolate rather than my 'usual' chianti!  Snow amounts have as hoped increased greatly and it looks I've picked a heck of a time to go!!  Sauze currently 180 upper, 140 lower....with more heavy snow for next week.....SORTED!!

Fred

BFTP

The North Italian Low looks like producing a bumper snow fest for you. Have a good week on the piste !

C

Posted

If you are driving to the Alps this Saturday, best prepare for a snowy journey up to the resort. It's remarkable how these "snow events" keep happening on a Saturday this season! The French are preparing for possible problems as different parts of France are starting/ending their holiday periods, so traffic could be very heavy:

Saturday, mid-day. Heavy snow moving into the French Alps: post-20040-0-01023000-1424420231_thumb.p

Saturdays and (they) are very similar. Snow Saturdays punctuated falls and heavy traffic on the roads of the department. This Feb. 21, the cocktail may be more explosive. The famous holiday Marseillais start, while the first week of Parisians ends. A crossover that should be decorated with snow, from 500 meters. And, tonight. Gendarmes and police mobilized. "Serious difficulties" are expected to "the principal axes and access to the stations," as recalled a statement from the prefecture of the Hautes-Alpes, which requires all motorists to anticipate the situation and not travel with special equipment. Thus, the police will be stationed at strategic locations to monitor that the instructions are correct.

Full story in French: http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2015/02/19/un-samedi-tres-difficile-en-perspective

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4875-alps-weather-forecast-20-february-2015/

All in all another very decent week in prospect for the Alps some snow likely for All, even if some rain at lower levels at times. but for this time of year, a snowy week.

A question  - from an outsider it appears this this year the snow seems a better distributed than recent year, it this a fair reflection.

• Like 1

Posted

Julian, first of all a big 'thank you' for your latest blog. It's very comprehensive and the time you've taken to compile it is appreciated.

With regard your question "this year the snow seems better distributed than recent years". In my opinion, and with no scientific basis but just as someone who avidly follows the Alps weather and conditions all season, it indeed appears to be the case. The most notable feature has been the frequent polar maritime plunges from the NW. At one stage Chiono described the pattern (in the Model Thread) as the "longest toppler" ever! Whilst these frequent incursions from the NW have initially benefitted the French, Swiss and Austrian Alps, it seems to have a secondary impact by 'causing' (?) low pressure to form over northern Italy.

Therefore the most interesting feature (for me) has been the development of this low pressure over northern Italy which seems to occur very frequently immediately after polar maritime incursions from the NW. This has certainly helped deliver lots of snow to the Italian Alps. If we look at the coming week we can see this happen twice. It seems that as the NW flow hits and buckles over the French Alps, it consequently 'creates' a low over northern Italy. Here's the first occasion this week, starting tomorrow, Sat 21st Feb.

PM blast from the NW with no sign of low over Italy post-20040-0-17005500-1424468275_thumb.p Snow for French Alps post-20040-0-27608200-1424468336_thumb.p

15 hours later and low has formed over Italy post-20040-0-43288400-1424468531_thumb.p Snow for Italian Alps post-20040-0-71506700-1424468540_thumb.p

This happens again starting Monday 23rd post-20040-0-67037500-1424468969_thumb.p Snow for French Alps post-20040-0-82431300-1424469016_thumb.p

18 hours later and low has formed over Italy post-20040-0-95977900-1424469147_thumb.p Snow for Italian Alps post-20040-0-74938300-1424469189_thumb.p

I'd be very interested to hear the views of our more professionally trained members on this (John?).

• Like 1

Thanks Malcolm. for some reason this weeks forecast seemed to flow, other weeks it takes ages, and the balance is off. Having something to talk about helped.

The low over Northern Italy certainly seems to be ever present this week and his been a frequent visitor this winter.

Edited by J10

Posted

I'd be very interested to hear the views of our more professionally trained members on this (John?).

The formation of the Genoa low as it is generally known is caused by cold air flooding SE on a NW flow. As it gets over the still quite warm Med so low pressure is formed. This is due to air rising from the warm sea into the cold air thus causing pressure to fall at the surface.

hope that helps

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

^ Many thanks John. Very interesting and clearly such occurrences often benefit the Italian Alps.

A quick update on travelling conditions for those driving to the French Alps. Basically it's not a good situation with many problems being reported. I suspect some of the coach transfers from airports are proving difficult today.

Here's a photo of driving conditions on the A43 Autoroute at Bourgoin Jallieu, between Lyon and Chambery, at 11.00 this morning. And the rainfall radar at 15.00 this afternoon shows it still persisting down.

A43 11 am Sat 21st Feb post-20040-0-03876800-1424532127_thumb.j  Radar 15.00 post-20040-0-54032200-1424532165_thumb.j

Edit: Saturday evening 20.30. The situation has deteriorated. Latest bulletin reporting the Autoroute now closed at Chambery, a major route into the French Alps including from Lyon Airport:

Snow: A43 closed at Chambery, emergency shelter set up on the A48
Gendarmes block access to the A43 motorway in La Tour du Pin. Can not pass. Motorists are forwarded to the secondary network in the direction Lyon-Chambery. The highway will be blocked overnight.

Edit: Sunday. All normal again today, but that was quite some Saturday for getting in and out of French ski resorts. The French national roads authority reporting 250 km of traffic jams in the Rhone-Alps region in the afternoon, with 400 people stuck on the A43 put up in 4 emergency shelters overnight. And the Grenoble-GAP train got stuck in snow drifts at 1,200m with 81 people on board. After 6 hours the passengers had to walk through fields covered in 60cm of snow to get to the nearest roads for evacuation by coach.

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted

Snow arriving in the western Alps this afternoon. Freezing level typically at 1,600m + this afternoon, so higher slopes would have benefited most. GFS shows the snow spreading east into Austria through Tues before clearing Weds. Freezing level falls to lower levels during the period.

Mon 23rd 15.00 post-20040-0-09531600-1424725674_thumb.p  Freezing Level post-20040-0-67637600-1424725686_thumb.p

This evenings Euro4 and the radar from Meteo France suggest the precipitation is not as heavy as the GFS chart suggests for this afternoon/evening (although Euro4 does increase precipitation rates to more in line with GFS for Tues & Wed).

Euro4 for 18.00 post-20040-0-73690700-1424725875_thumb.g  Meteo France radar 18.30 post-20040-0-49788400-1424725885_thumb.j

Tues 24th 09.00 snow now Alps wide post-20040-0-31320700-1424725944_thumb.p  Freezing Level post-20040-0-77835100-1424725955_thumb.p

Starting to clear east through Austria on Weds 25th  post-20040-0-63348300-1424726089_thumb.p

Also worth mentioning that the Pyrenees will again see a good fall of snow over the period. It's turning into a great season down there!

Euro4 Pyrenees mid-night tonight post-20040-0-75357900-1424727350_thumb.j  Tues 24th 18.00 post-20040-0-85594600-1424727396_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Well 6 days to go before I go and GFS hinting[ and has been] of HP dominated week for me...with about another 20-40 cm possible before then it could be an amazing week.  Very excited now 

BFTP

Posted

Interesting day today. Lots of very deep powder around, hard to find the untracked stuff but it's still there.  Bit of windcrust in places but generally lovely if you find the small stashes.  On piste it's packed powder mostly. Odd icy scraped bits and lower down there is some slush in the afternoons, but at altitude it's very good conditions indeed.

Locals are expecting a bit of snow overnight, then horrible visibility tomorrow. Wed/Thu will be really lovely days and Friday should see more snow with Saturday being nice again. Could work out well but who knows in the mountains - we had a mixed bag today of poor light/bright sunshine at times.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting day today. Lots of very deep powder around, hard to find the untracked stuff but it's still there.  Bit of windcrust in places but generally lovely if you find the small stashes.  On piste it's packed powder mostly. Odd icy scraped bits and lower down there is some slush in the afternoons, but at altitude it's very good conditions indeed.

Locals are expecting a bit of snow overnight, then horrible visibility tomorrow. Wed/Thu will be really lovely days and Friday should see more snow with Saturday being nice again. Could work out well but who knows in the mountains - we had a mixed bag today of poor light/bright sunshine at times.

Thanks for the update from Sauze d'Oulx carled. Sounds like some good skiing to be had. Today's Sestriere Trebials Monte webcam certainly showing lots of snow, but that's a threatening looking sky and the light looks very flat too. Whatever the weather, I hope you enjoy the rest of your week.

post-20040-0-65887000-1424812759_thumb.j

On a different topic, the snow I mentioned last night for the Pyrenees has caused Meteo France to issue an avalanche warning today:

Heavy snowfall over the Pyrenees.

An orange alert "AVALANCHE" is launched on 4 Pyrenean departments: Ariege, Haute-Garonne, Pyrenees-Atlantiques and Hautes-Pyrénées. We expect strong accumulations of snow on the Pyrenees. The risk of avalanches will become very strong tonight for the Pyrenees-Atlantiques, then spread to the rest of the Pyrenean chain tomorrow, Wednesday. The rather heavy snowfall will continue until the middle of next night (Wed) on the west of the range, giving significant accumulations, avalanches can be triggered from tonight.

Full bulletin in French: http://www.meteofrance.com/meteo-infos/bulletin-france

Edit: Just spotted that Meteo France change the 'bulletin' contents regularly on the same page link (above), so the Pyrenees info will be changed out in due course.

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted

Well 6 days to go before I go and GFS hinting[ and has been] of HP dominated week for me...with about another 20-40 cm possible before then it could be an amazing week.  Very excited now 

BFTP

Hi Fred. Well it's now three days since your post and the dear old GFS seems to have back-tracked on it's idea of a high pressure dominated week for Sauze d'Oulx. Both GFS and ECM are now forecasting an unsettled week for the Alps with a NW'ly polar maritime flow to start the week, becoming a good northerly blast by Thurs/Fri. The following charts sum it up - spot the difference!

Sunday 1st post-20040-0-36061900-1424980598_thumb.p Tues 3rd post-20040-0-08387500-1424980611_thumb.p Thurs 5th post-20040-0-06148200-1424980622_thumb.p

What is different as the week progresses is the temperatures. Starting with freezing level such that lower slopes may see rain/sleet Sun/Mon/Tues, but by later Weds dropping to give snow at all levels and even chillier for Thurs/Fri.

Sunday 1st post-20040-0-94628800-1424981116_thumb.p Tues 3rd post-20040-0-56302200-1424981207_thumb.p Thurs 5th post-20040-0-00289700-1424981243_thumb.p

An interesting aspect of the charts above is how little snow makes it over to Sauze d'Oulx when the weather is coming in on a NW to N flow, with fronts decaying rapidly after crossing the French/Swiss Alps. I've checked snowforecast.com and they are suggesting (for mid-mountain) 58cm for Les Deux Alpes (a reasonably close French resort just over the border) for Sunday/Monday, whilst Sauze is forecast only 12cm. But that's just an observation and there's absolutely loads of snow already in Sauze at the moment (140cm at the base).

So have a fantastic week and just to get you in the mood, here's a photo of a piste-side bar/restaurant I'm sure you're familiar with. And the staff have got the pizzas ready for you!

La Capannina post-20040-0-32009600-1424982472_thumb.j  post-20040-0-83388900-1424982516_thumb.j

• Like 2

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

INTRODUCTION Conditions across Europe are fantastic at present, following yet another period of heavy snowfall. Pistes have been refreshed across the Alps and there have been some great powder conditions reported. After a brief settled period on Wednesday, and for the east on Thursday, snowy weather is set to return heading into the weekend.

AUSTRIA It's a great week to be in Austria as fresh snow fell in all of our featured resorts in the past 48 hours. All resorts are either reporting powdery or fresh conditions but rest assured, there are fresh pistes and pockets of fresh powder on offer. By far the most recorded snow came around the Salzberg region with Kaprun (100/310cm) and Zell am See (15/123cm) reporting excellent conditions, particularly at the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier where around 40cm was reported to have settled. This has brought fresh powder off the track and fresh pistes, which have been packed down and groomed to perfection. Zell am See and Kaprun had all of their lifts turning, with a total of 47 to get you around the mountains. We're expecting more clouds to form this weekend which could bring fresh snow to many parts of Austria. It has been quite changeable recently so do keep an eye on local forecasts but most of all get out there and enjoy the excellent conditions.

FRANCE The skiing is excellent across the French Alps at present and with sunny skies firmly in place on Thursday 26th February; the overhead conditions were perfect too. Great skiing has been reported by Ski Club Ambassadors in the Espace Killy ski region, encompassing the resorts of Val d'Isere (95/167cm) and Tignes (90/163cm). Some great powder turns were on offer off the pistes and the perfectly groomed powder on piste was providing some amazing turns on the groomers. Conditions were also fantastic in the Portes du Soleil, with Avoriaz (180/290cm) and Morzine (70/195cm) offering great slopes and all lifts in their respective areas open. Across in the Pyrenees the heavy snow has not stopped falling all week, with huge snowfall totals of almost two metres being reported across the mountain range. Cauterets (340/470cm) boasts a huge base depth as a result but was shut due to avalanche concerns on Thursday 26th February. Bareges/La Mongie (220/320cm) was only able to run seven lifts as the avalanche danger hit Level 5 across the mountain range. The treacherous conditions are set to remain over the weekend as mild air comes into the Pyrenees, destabilising the significant new snow drifts. Off piste skiing is not recommended and lift openings may be affected for some days. Fortunately the snow is set to taper off in the Pyrenees but it is set to resume in the Alps this weekend. Around 40-100cm of new snow forecast between now and Tuesday next week for much of the French Alps so some good powder should be on offer next. As with the Pyrenees however pay close attention to the latest avalanche forecasts and stay safe off piste.

SWITZERLAND The sun was shining brightly on Thursday 26th February and with cold temperatures in place across the Swiss Alps, the snow conditions are excellent. Packed powder conditions are to be found on piste and off the slopes there are some powder pitches still there to be skied. Conditions in the 4 Valleys area, encompassing resorts such as Nendaz (60/200cm) and Verbier (60/190cm) are fantastic following around 40cm of fresh snow this week. The Ski Club Leader in Verbier has been reporting great conditions on the off piste itinerary runs, although they became tracked out quite quickly Saas Fee (70/270cm) is in great condition at present, with heavy snow over the weekend setting up the slopes perfectly for the sunny spell of weather this week. There are great piste conditions across the mountain and thanks to the sunshine, the visibility was excellent - this can occasionally be an issue on the high altitude slopes above the resort. Conditions at Leysin (40/130cm) and Les Mosses (50/60cm) have improved significantly thanks to the recent snowfall. Any bare patches have been covered up nicely and some good off piste conditions have even been reported in recent days. Lots more snow is in the forecast for Switzerland in the coming days as snow clouds move in during the course of Thursday night. A further 20cm is forecast prior to the weekend before a further spell of heavy snow sweeps in on Sunday and Monday. Current forecasts are suggesting between 20 and 60cm could fall, with the heaviest snow in the northwest of the country.

ITALY Fresh snow has fallen to all of our featured resorts earlier in the week, which was great timing after the rush of the British school holidays. Some resorts averaged around 5cm and others up to 20cm, so it was quite divided. The west favoured a little more, as the snow spread into Italy but it did reach the east but was less substantial. One of the resorts to pick up the most snow was Arabba (30/122cm) which reported around 18cm and on Thursday 26th February almost all the lifts were open with 27 of the 28 in operation. Conditions couldn't have been better on Thursday as the sun was shining with blue skies and cold temperatures kept the pistes well intact. Pockets of fresh powder are there to be had but as always, keep a close eye on safety warnings. There is plenty of cloud forecast which is expected to arrive with the weekend, so it's a good time to head home and also a good time to arrive because there could be more fresh snow; it's a great time to be skiing in Italy.

ANDORRA has been in the firing line this week and has picked up some exceptional snowfall in recent days. The 70cm picked up on Thursday 26th February at Soldeu (150/200cm) and Pas de la Casa (170/230cm) has taken the total from the past seven days to almost two metres. Many lifts were closed and off piste skiing is not advised as the avalanche danger has hit Level 5 for the second time this season  a highly unusual occurrence. Arcalis (170/250cm) was closed on Thursday is likely to remain so until the snow abates. More snow is expected through Friday before the weather finally clears for the weekend  but be careful as the avalanche danger is set to remain exceptionally high.

GERMANY New snow this week has refreshed the pistes nicely across Germany, restoring them to powdery conditions following a long period of spring-like snow. Most lifts are open at our featured resorts, with 34 of 35 spinning at Feldberg (70/135cm) and all lifts running at Reit im Winkl (40/100cm). Perhaps the best conditions are at Garmisch (60/300cm), where 20cm of fresh snow this week has given some great skiing. A further 20cm of fresh snow is expected for all our featured resorts by Saturday, with the possibility of heavy snow setting in again on Monday.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Yet another period of snow is set to move into the Alps from the west during Thursday night, continuing through Friday to drop a further 20cm for many resorts. Almost anywhere can expect new snow by Saturday morning, but the heaviest falls will be in the north and the west. The sun may make a brief appearance on Saturday before another wave of snow, this time much heavier, sweeps across the Alps. On current forecasts, Sunday and Monday are set to be dominated by heavy snowfall, with the most intense precipitation falling in the north and west of the Alps. Snowfall totals are currently looking to be around 20cm in Italy and eastern Austria, but increasing steadily further north to between 40 and 80cm in France and Switzerland. Some of this may fall as sleet on the lower slopes on Monday as the freezing level nudges up just above some resort bases. The heavy snow that has been dumping on the Pyrenees all week is set to slowly peter out during Friday, but not before a further 25cm of potential new snowfall. Saturday and Sunday are looking brighter which is great news, but following all the new snow lots of work will need to be undertaken by resort teams to open up the slopes. Bear in mind too that the freezing level is set to rise to around 2,500m this weekend which could produce some serious avalanche conditions following all the new snow. Please stay up to date with the very latest avalanche forecasts as the situation is currently very dangerous.

• Like 2

My next blog will be published after afternoon Saturday, as I am out tomorrow evening.

I think the following is worth highlighting separately from the main blurb above.

Bear in mind too that the freezing level is set to rise to around 2,500m this weekend which could produce some serious avalanche conditions following all the new snow. Please stay up to date with the very latest avalanche forecasts as the situation is currently very dangerous.

Posted

Malcolm

You are a GEM!  Yes the outlook has changed and I think a bitterly cold second half of the week beckons too.......if the PM flow brings poorish conditions I'll be whiling my days away in the pizzeria alright!! 

Julian

Thanks mate again and I will defo heed your warning

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

I think the following is worth highlighting separately from the main blurb above.

Bear in mind too that the freezing level is set to rise to around 2,500m this weekend which could produce some serious avalanche conditions following all the new snow. Please stay up to date with the very latest avalanche forecasts as the situation is currently very dangerous.

Just to re-emphasise your post Julian, anyone thinking of skiing off-piste this season should be very cautious. It's all down to the very poor start to the season causing the very bottom layer of 'snow' to actually be ice, so that in many parts of the mountain the snow that's fallen since the New Year is often sat on a hard, slippery base. And here's some interesting facts. In France the most deaths occur when the risk is at category 3 (out of the European 1 - 5 category when 5 is the highest risk). In Switzerland most deaths occur at category 2 to 3. The difference is thought to be because of national differences in interpreting the risks.

So far 80 people have died in avalanches in Europe this season, including 29 in France and 25 in Switzerland.

In France today, the Secretary of State for Sports has been in the Alps meeting mountain specialists. His comments are interesting, as when a politician says it "would be a shame to compel", it gets me very worried - they're probably thinking of it!

"I think we need to develop prevention operations. It should also empower practitioners" said the Secretary of State, "however, (I'm) not in favour of increased enforcement policies. The mountain remains one of the few if not the only area of ​​freedom, it would be a shame to compel, prohibit off-piste for example. The goal is to work on particular areas for improvement to ensure better flow of information and readability of the danger."

Full article in French: http://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2015/02/27/avalanches-dans-les-alpes-le-risque-3-au-coeur-du-debat-zpip

So enjoy the wonderful experience of skiing off-piste, but please be aware of the dangers, particularly this season. Here's the European risk table for info:

post-20040-0-04117400-1425071504_thumb.j