Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 31/10/2014 and Beyond

Posted

Just a quick look at the 06Z GFS output (and it's really good to have the Parallel as another point of reference). Looking into FI and I thought I'd look at the Hemisphere overview at T+240:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014110406/gfsnh-0-240.png?6?6

The main Op run shows the blocked pattern transitioning to something more mobile and perhaps a sign of a second PV lobe setting up over NE Canada

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014110406/gfsnh-0-336.png?6

Four days later and it's not got very far with the main lobe over Siberia and strong heights over the Pole.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/run/gfsnh-0-240.png?6

The Parallel at T+240 showing good WAA into Greenland with the main PV lobe perhaps further west though that's not easy to tell.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfsp/runs/2014110406/gfsnh-0-336.png?6

At T+336 and is that PV starting to get its act together and could it end up closer to Europe than Siberia ? It's a blocked scenario as the PV in Russia has created large blocking HP to the east over Siberia and to the west over Scandinavia.

As others have said, I would not look to the east for my cold this side of Christmas - the North Sea remains warm and will do so into the New Year. Looking North is a different matter if you want precipitation but the other option for cold (as distinct from snow) is our old friend the inversion. I wonder if the atmospheric environment this winter is going to be more conducive to anticyclonic conditions - the Parallel hints at the possibility with a weak or fragmented PV and good polar heights.

What worries me about the Parallel is the strat temperature modelling which suggests a warming to the Siberian side and the colder temperatures migrating west. Oddly enough, the OP does the same - the strength and anomalous cold of the stratosphere and the PV dominated last winter of course.

• Like 2

Posted

As others have said, I would not look to the east for my cold this side of Christmas - the North Sea remains warm and will do so into the New Year. Looking North is a different matter if you want precipitation but the other option for cold (as distinct from snow) is our old friend the inversion. I wonder if the atmospheric environment this winter is going to be more conducive to anticyclonic conditions - the Parallel hints at the possibility with a weak or fragmented PV and good polar heights.

what about Nov-Dec 2010 that was not from the north but off the N Sea to give this very low lying area its heaviest known snowfall, 35 cm overnight 30/11-01/12

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Models have taken another long term step forward in my opinion..

Firstly we have the Euro which undercuts all the way to Italy. By doing so it's still dragging in warm air but it's opening the door for the Greenland ridge to push down cold air without being stopped by that high..

Recm2401.gif

GFS in the high res brings heights over Greenland to 1050mb (stronger than previously forecast) but still looks potentially very wet with the stalled trough.

Rtavn1923.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Something colder maybe developing during the last 7 to 10 days if the ens is onto something

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.pngMT8_Manchester_ens.pngMT8_London_ens.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Average looking ENS 850 temp plots which are a bit (rather than a lot) above average so more 'seasonal' with a trend downwards to 'average' towards the end.

MT8_London_ens.png

Nice to see some more cold runs appearing at the end as well. :)

PS: Apologies SS you beat me to it! :p

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

It can give the correct wave length across the northern hemisphere to put the UK on to the cold side of a ridge downwind from N America, but it does not always work, the wavelength is critical.

The current output from the anomaly charts shows the pattern I refer to, nearly but not quite for a deep cold incursion if it was mid winter

the EC-GFS version below with NOAA 6-10 and 8-14 along very similar lines. Thus showing the other idea of slow moving wave patterns. This one looks to last 5-10 days possibly longer.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

I suspect rob, that if some of those who have predicted a cold n American winter are right, that we could well be worrying about west based -NAO's quite a bit. howevwr, seeing as its early November and not February, I'm just going to enjoy the ride as Im sure there will plenty more opportunities ahead.

I believe positioning is critical. Ive seen ridges and blocks where a couple of hundred miles east and west of the ridge you've got +10's and the -10's. 

cheers guys.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The majority of the UK sees below normal 2m temperatures over the next 8 days

8 day anomaly

gfsanom_eu.png

Normal 2m temps

gfsnorm_eu.png

Expected 2m temps

gfssr_eu.png

Quite a difference for the British Isles from the 00Z mean Knocker posted this morning:

post-12275-0-51371700-1415091887.png

Edit: :oops: Didn't read the legend, doh. Thanks, all.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2

Posted

Two different timescales, Yarmy - cool anomaly is for now to the 12th and Knocker's chart is for the 5 day mean for 12th to the 17th.

PS. The new tabular graphics for ECM De Bilt - is the width of the coloured bar the percentage of likelihood of a temperature - I'm a bit lost, sorry.

vareps_Tx_latest_06260_00.png

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Quite a difference for the British Isles from the 00Z mean Knocker posted this morning:

post-12275-0-51371700-1415091887.png

Hi. The above anomaly is for later in the month (12-17th) and the Summer Sun anomaly(4-12th) is more of a reflection on the next 48-60 hours where we have some cold nights and below average days. I think from  Thursday temps trending near average, or above. Many of the pro forecasters suggest November around 2-3c above average for the E/S/SE. 

The GFS op from the 06z is not a cool run: post-14819-0-81792500-1415108112_thumb.g

• Like 2

Posted

Updated NOAA ens now trended down to -4 & the zonal wind across 75n especially from alaska to moscow will drop through the floor to negative -

If someone could post the link:

Interesting the latest gfs anomaly shows below ave surface temps the UK

Interesting as I was saying that a few days ago ....

Still looking very interesting in the 9-12 day timeframe....

S

I believe you Steve

• Like 4

Posted

12Z GFS is rather underwelming.... Hence the lack of posts I suspect.   Some WAA going up to greenland but there is never enough blocking to stop the westerly flow. Slowly slowly catchy monkey though folks.  I would rather save the true Greenland block for December when it will count!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

GFS P and GFS are very different at just day 6

gfsnh-0-144.png?12gfsnh-0-144.png?12

I'd discount the GFS 12z, UKMO 12z looks more like the GFS P

UN144-21.GIF?04-17

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Todays GEM 12Z

Day 10 chart..

gemnh-0-240.png?12

Greenland - 1065MB

post-18296-0-82911400-1415120217_thumb.j

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Todays GEM 12Z

gemnh-0-240.png?12

Greenland - 1065MB

If the ECM 12z is anything like that tonight, expect a melt down!

:bomb:

Posted

12Z GFS is rather underwelming.... Hence the lack of posts I suspect.   Some WAA going up to greenland but there is never enough blocking to stop the westerly flow. Slowly slowly catchy monkey though folks.  I would rather save the true Greenland block for December when it will count!

It sure counted in Nov in 2010!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Am I missing something??

gem-9-240.png

Forget the Temps, ...just look at the NH pattern that's developing.

I would imagine a Stonking -AO if the GEM 12Z verified.

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 5

Posted

I am sure this has already been posted about (no time at the mo to read through the last couple of days worth). This is indictive of what we can exepct this winter. The AO predictions over the past few weeks have been showing firstly a much higher spike than the +1 (peak) anomaly that we are currently experiencing and the predicted dip in value for next week was not showing a few days ago. This will very likely be a strong re-occuring theme over the coming months with some even sharper dips yet to come...

post-5114-0-36998000-1415122123_thumb.gi

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The GEM sums it up really, you could literally nuke the north pole and the resulting Euro pattern would be exactly the same. Winds from a southerly vector with rain at times, especially in the south and west.

gens-21-1-192.png?12

If the ECM is correct then we may see things dry out in more northern and eastern areas, though the penalty here may be a chilly and cloudy east to south easterly instead, so maybe that is the worse option.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The GEM sums it up really, you could literally nuke the north pole and the resulting Euro pattern would be exactly the same. Winds from a southerly vector with rain at times, especially in the south and west.

gens-21-1-192.png?12

If the ECM is correct then we may see things dry out in more northern and eastern areas, though the penalty here may be a chilly and cloudy east to south easterly instead, so maybe that is the worse option.

Yes Captain no real change for us currently with things looking rather average under the continuing influence of a slow moving Atlantic trough.

Meanwhile over in NA and Canada that injection of cold showing up in the next few days as a deep upper trough digs well south taking very cold air with it over the mid west and eastwards.

post-2026-0-05646400-1415124420_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-37888000-1415124428_thumb.pn

Another early taste of Winter for them with snowstorms for parts of Canada spreading south into the New England states.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5