Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 31/10/2014 and Beyond

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Apart from a couple of odd cold runs the ENS concensus is for above average and unsettled conditions to perpetuate for the foreseeable future

MT8_London_ens.png

We could scrape the odd ground frost if we're lucky and pressure seems to be rising through the medium term.

MT2_London_ens.png

Agreed Purga, the near term is of no interest to us coldies (including you here?) but the mid to longer-term most definitely IS.  8) The charts you have chosen to illustrate your view, although valid, aren't of much use in determining the broader picture of where we're heading and I would remind all readers on the dangers of using one run in isolation. 

In fact, the consistency over the general model suites over the last three days for the potential cooler, to dare I say it much colder spell come next weekend for all is very NOTEWORTHY.  :good:

I would advise everyone to keep looking at the bigger picture and whilst not losing sight of the nearer term, to bear in the mind the possibilities of changes upstream by the end of next week.   :gathering:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 8

Those touting a strengthening vortex would do well to pop into the strat thread and read Snowking's excellent post.

Basically there are expectations of an early season SSW during which time the AO would likely go positive. As he says, panic will ensue and "winters over" posts will be flying around. I would assume the vortex would appear to reform.

However,after this event (should it happen) the AO would go deeply negative and potentially last for several weeks.

Then we're in business...

A good post but I can't see talk of a SSW or a deeply -AO but a warming and neutral, negative AO..

Besides, predict a stratospheric warming, then predict blocking out of that, then predict where the blocking will fall, and then predict whether that shortwave spoiler around Iceland will scupper things or not, then lastly make sure those dewpoints are right for snow to lower levels. If only getting us into "business" was that easy and straightforward!

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 3

Posted

A good post but I can't see talk of a SSW or a deeply -AO but a warming and neutral, negative AO..

Besides, predict a stratospheric warming, then predict blocking out of that, then predict where the blocking will fall, and then predict whether that shortwave spoiler around Iceland will scupper things or not, then lastly make sure those dewpoints are right for snow to lower levels. If only getting us into "business" was that easy and straightforward!

Its all in Snowking's post. Read both of the quotes from Cohen.

Anyway, we better leave it there, we're going OT....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Its all in Snowking's post. Read both of the quotes from Cohen.

Anyway, we better leave it there, we're going OT....

Yes the high anomalous flow in the Pacific Region is an essential prerequisite for a Polar Split and we look like we are going to get lucky there, with Nuri doing its worst. However the impact on the models of this possibility will not be in the charts at the moment, even in GEFS FI. So at the moment it is just tropospheric developments. No one is denying when a SSW (split or displacement) occurs that the surface/500hpa setup will not be relevant as the strat. will define the top down effect.

However it is still worthwhile seeing the current pattern and how it develops and it is clear the early season mid-lat cold pooling is more than likely to pass by the UK. The reason I say that is that the upper cold pools are trending towards  a very blocked flow so for example the US will get reload after reload, so by T300 according to the Parallel the US is still within this cold upper pool:

T30: post-14819-0-24073500-1415546253_thumb.p  T300: post-14819-0-62624500-1415546273_thumb.p

The UK stays in a relative warm(er) sector and it is only in the latter stages that the drift from the US cold pool seeps across the Atlantic and we get some washed out cooler uppers:

post-14819-0-80251000-1415546423_thumb.p

This is why I am rather sceptical of the ECM charts leading to any sort of UK cold from this current trop led PV disruption. It would be remarkable if we could squeeze some cold out of this forecast wave pattern; a lot of luck needed? Though the GEFS suggesting that around D14 the upper pattern becomes more fluid, but by then the meridional flow has slackened and any colder air looks more transient in nature.

Lets hope when the strat led pattern change happens the blocks will be a bit more helpful for UK cold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Good afternoon everyone

Not that I understand the terminology too well, so correct me if I am wrong, but the GFS is coming out and at 120 hours the Northern hemisphere profile is looking very good from a perspective of northern blocking. I believe that is some wave 2 action there but please correct me if that is wrong! I get the general gist of things but I tend to fail to use the correct terms... :D

gfsnh-0-120.png?12?12

EDIT - talk about an apologetic post...

Edited by Joe Levy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

That looks like a big improvement from GFS to me? Its moving towards ECM?

We have a better push of heights (green) into Greenland and it looks like the low near us is seperating as Nick Sussex said it needed to?

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

This is a very good setup synoptically on the GFS, but as of yet we don't have the cold uppers. However, getting the setup in place first is far more important based on previous winters here...

gfs-0-174.png?12?12

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

If anything the GFS has stronger heights over Greenland than the ECM at days 4-6.

gfsnh-0-96.png?12ECH1-96.GIF?09-12

gfsnh-0-120.png?12ECH1-120.GIF?09-12

gfsnh-0-144.png?12ECH1-144.GIF?09-12

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 9

Posted

We have that vortex lobe near Svalbard attempting to move South as with the ECM., definite upgrade on the 12z.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1681.gif

Get the block set up first in the next 5-10 days and then this low pushing south can provide some cold uppers from fay 15 onwards. There's still loads to play for.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 2

Posted

The GFS Parallel in line with the 06z output at D6:

post-14819-0-90141300-1415550249_thumb.p post-14819-0-49013300-1415550275_thumb.p post-14819-0-04921800-1415550341_thumb.p

Not seeing it getting close to the ECM output from there. In fact moving in the other direction!

D8: post-14819-0-37570700-1415550727_thumb.p  post-14819-0-90959000-1415550796_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

The UKMO is an improvement on the earlier 00hrs although it still keeps low heights near Svalbard, the GFS does clear that troughing allowing the ridge to back west, the GFS P though isn't as good.

I think theres to more to back the ECM trend than go against that so not a bad start to the evening from a coldies perspective.

• Like 4

Posted

Gfs parallel aint doing itself any favours!!its been just as inconsistent as the gfs over the last few days where as ecm has been rock solid!!gfs 12z goes ecm way and now we gota hope ecm continuous where it left off on the 00z!!

• Like 1

Posted

ECM on its own tonight as both GEM and UKMO closer to GFS at D6: 

post-14819-0-82005200-1415551095_thumb.g  post-14819-0-33479900-1415551106_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

GFS about to join the party....

Its about time - only 3 days late. Its finally resolved the energy seperation off the east coast of US at 126

Cmon UKMO-

S

Yes,a typical lurch from the GFS over the last couple of days towards the ECM.

120hrs today..  2 days ago..

• Like 4

Posted

ECM on its own tonight as both GEM and UKMO closer to GFS at D6: 

attachicon.gifUN144-21.GIF  attachicon.gifgemnh-0-150.png

Sadly not the first time that's happened. ECM led us up the garden path big time on two occasions in 2012.

It's always very tempting to view the solution we want to see as the correct one in these situations. Human nature! :wink:

Still pretty interesting charts for November, and we are dealing with stuff in the FI range so I doubt we've seen the end of the evolution of this pattern change, for good or for bad!

Looking forward to the 12Z ECM...popcorn at the ready?  :p 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS P shows the high drifting closer towards us by d10 as a result we get some southerly winds

The weekend and early next week sees SE'ly winds

gfs-0-144.png?12gfs-0-168.png?12gfs-0-192.png?12

gfs-1-144.png?12gfs-1-168.png?12gfs-1-192.png?12

By d10 we see southerly winds

gfs-0-240.png?12gfs-1-240.png?12

D12 continues with the milder air especially in the south as high pressure remains

gfs-0-288.png?12gfs-1-288.png?12

So a cooler spell over next weekend and into the following week looks to have good support this afternoon what happens by d10 is anyone's guess really we've got the GFS P southerly and the ECM easterly.........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

How is the ECM out on its own?? The 12z GFS has just taken a huge step towards it...now if the GFS had stuck to its guns and had none of it then the ECM would be out on its own...UKMO also looks to be heading toward the ECM aswell...but not as much as the GFS but then im sure it was last to get in on the act Jan Feb and March 2013...

• Like 2

Posted

Ukmo is fab !!!!

Someone post the UKMO 144 & the identical nov 2010 chart!!!

this one?

UN144-21.GIF?09-17

and this one?

archivesnh-2010-11-9-0-0.png

erm no..... this one?

archivesnh-2010-11-15-0-0.png

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 1

Posted

Ukmo is fab !!!!

Someone post the UKMO 144 & the identical nov 2010 chart!!!

...post-14819-0-67309600-1415552648_thumb.g  post-14819-0-57045500-1415552658_thumb.g

How is the ECM out on its own?? The 12z GFS has just taken a huge step towards it...now if the GFS had stuck to its guns and had none of it then the ECM would be out on its own...UKMO also looks to be heading toward the ECM aswell...but not as much as the GFS but then im sure it was last to get in on the act Jan Feb and March 2013...

Thats the GFS op you are using which won't exist in a few weeks. I am looking at the Parallel now for guidance.

• Like 1