Posted

Nice long range chart. That's a very disrupted vortex

gfsnh-0-276_rsl5.png

A very very weak vortex indeed

gfsnh-0-360_ayw6.png

Edited by Jonan92
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Its not a bad chart really, if we get the following occurring:

Shortwave forms at the base of the trough, pressure rises to the ne start to put forcing on the trough, as the energy begins to shear away from the trough some of that heads away to the nw, at the same time the shortwave has run into France and the ridge to the ne has extended further sw.

This should then at T168hrs show a more elongated troughing running nw/se, preferably things would be easier if the troughing was so blown up to begin with. I still have my doubts about what the UKMO is doing with that trough.

Yeah we will know more over the weekend. We can expect a lot of ups and downs in the coming days and really any cold shot before end of Nov would be a bonus.

I expect some will get frustrated but I would rather have some interest in charts than a flat jet.

Parallel.

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Its not a bad chart really, if we get the following occurring:

Shortwave forms at the base of the trough, pressure rises to the ne start to put forcing on the trough, as the energy begins to shear away from the trough some of that heads away to the nw, at the same time the shortwave has run into France and the ridge to the ne has extended further sw.

This should then at T168hrs show a more elongated troughing running nw/se, preferably things would be easier if the troughing was so blown up to begin with. I still have my doubts about what the UKMO is doing with that trough.

It seems to be a common feature of the UKMO that past 96 hours, and particularly on the +144 chart, it doesn't seem to pick up on trough disruption as well as the other models.

That's not to say it's necessarily wrong though - there's been a few easterlies that the UKMO's put the kibosh on, most recently December 2012 which does have a similar look about it to this one (albeit maybe a bit more flimsy in terms of the NH profile) but it has equally missed a few in its time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFSP 12z shows the cool/wet N/W flow continuing, And the Atlantic winning out. Yet another possible variation and probably far more likely. Even so im very happy with the N/H pattern we are in as we enter Winter. You could't get much better really.. :D

gfsnh-0-216.png?12gfsnh-0-252.png?12gfsnh-0-384.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The GFS was certainly a tease tonight, a few tweaks and northern Europe including the UK would be in the freezer in the later half of week 2.

There is no real bad output so far. The UKMO as underwhelming as it looks would simply hold us in the same pattern of ridge to our east and a trough over and west of the UK as heights temporarily build over Svalbard before sinking back into the stubborn Eastern European ridge. GEM is half way between but ends up reseting the amplified pattern.

UN144-21.GIF?07-17

gemnh-0-240.png?12

GFS ens

gensnh-21-1-240.png?12

Still not getting there as of yet. As many others have said, this is a long journey that we must head on A mixed bag for the UK for the foreseeable, fairly average temperatures with rain at times. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the ECM we can start calling temperatures below average. This we would be at chilly rather than cold.

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

ECM1-216.GIF?07-0

@Barry, in my view, Carling would be last years charts... but hey whatever floats your boat :p

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

The ECM has decided to maintain some interest so as not to let the thread down!

Quite a different scenario from that shown in the mornings output and not surprising given the NWP's panic at the unusual set up. Trough disruption remains an issue even with the T240hrs showing lots of potential but its nice to see some positive anomalies increasing once again near the pole.

• Like 6

Posted

@Bobbydog, to me it's not a case of the time of year (it is cold enough to deliver cold and snow to the UK if the synoptics are right). It's more a case that getting to the stage of cold will be a long one as at the present time the longwave pattern isn't conductive to bringing cold conditions to Europe and the UK. It will be a long road ahead but it does look possible if the conditions over the pole remain the same that we will get a chance further down the line.

ECM ens tonight

EDH1-168.GIF?07-0

EDH1-216.GIF?07-0

Blocking to our north and a cyclonic flow. Fairly average temperatures and quite wet sum up the UK profile.

To get cold we need to banish the heights over Europe allowing the Siberian lobe of the tropospheric vortex to link up with low pressure near the UK allow us to get on the cold side of the jet.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Trying to jog my memory back to relate to similar set up to that I see now. Low heights over Hudson Bay and High over Scandinavia is not good news for cold weather fans in the UK. The winter Olympics in Norway 94 had wonderful winter conditions with snow and sub-zero temperatures, Canada in the great lakes region had some monster snowfalls, which I can remember on a visit to Toronto. We on the other hand in the UK had generally mild conditions with a fairly cold February. What I am saying is a cold winter in Scandinavia and Canada can go hand in hand with the UK in no mans land. True cold winters for our neck of the woods have to have high heights over NE Canada, Scandinavia and the Arctic cold pool digging well south into Russia. Presently , most models show no sign of this happening. Hope my theory is wrong though.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

To be honest, there is nothing really remotely wintry in the next ten days , unless youre talking about a few snowflakes over Snowdon or a few frosts here or there in which is a very unsettled spell of weather.  Thereafter it seem there is potential for much colder weather and against Steve Murrs  idea, Im really for the Gfs,,,,,, :rofl:

post-6830-0-81388500-1415393132_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-24334800-1415393172_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-29798800-1415393205_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-61924100-1415393250_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 1

Posted

@Bobbydog, to me it's not a case of the time of year (it is cold enough to deliver cold and snow to the UK if the synoptics are right). It's more a case that getting to the stage of cold will be a long one as at the present time the longwave pattern isn't conductive to bringing cold conditions to Europe and the UK. It will be a long road ahead but it does look possible if the conditions over the pole remain the same that we will get a chance further down the line.

ECM ens tonight

EDH1-168.GIF?07-0

EDH1-216.GIF?07-0

Blocking to our north and a cyclonic flow. Fairly average temperatures and quite wet sum up the UK profile.

To get cold we need to banish the heights over Europe allowing the Siberian lobe of the tropospheric vortex to link up with low pressure near the UK allow us to get on the cold side of the jet.

Totally agree. it could take a while but the pattern we're seeing now, gives us a very good fighting chance of seeing some proper winter weather at some point. The vortex is not winding itself up for a normal winter. the SAI, OPI, PDO etc, are on our side. It could come to nothing but we could be watching the 'sowing of the seeds' for something special.....

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Trying to jog my memory back to relate to similar set up to that I see now. Low heights over Hudson Bay and High over Scandinavia is not good news for cold weather fans in the UK. The winter Olympics in Norway 94 had wonderful winter conditions with snow and sub-zero temperatures, Canada in the great lakes region had some monster snowfalls, which I can remember on a visit to Toronto. We on the other hand in the UK had generally mild conditions with a fairly cold February. What I am saying is a cold winter in Scandinavia and Canada can go hand in hand with the UK in no mans land. True cold winters for our neck of the woods have to have high heights over NE Canada, Scandinavia and the Arctic cold pool digging well south into Russia. Presently , most models show no sign of this happening. Hope my theory is wrong though.

C

Hi C,

It's not been overwhelmingly exciting for cold lovers looking face value at the current/recent NWP output out to T+240. But the upper flow foundations are being laid for something colder later this month and perhaps into December, these foundations certainly are looking solid looking at medium range ensembles.

Certainly HP over Scandi in itself isn't going to guarantee cold will come our way with low pressure/upper torugh so close to the UK, but should we see retrogression of the wave pattern, then it may quickly become interesting for cold lovers, i.e. artic cold pool dropping down into NW Russia and then spreading SW as the Scandi retrogresses west. Can't see this happening until later in the month at the earliest though.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Early days yet.Autumn still in full swing.

Here is a thing though....can anyone show me a better chart forecast for this time of year previously?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014110712/ECH1-240.GIF?07-0

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Not liking the look of the GFS 18z, 12z on the left for comparison :angry:

gfsnh-0-180.png?18gfsnh-0-186.png?12

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 2