Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 31/10/2014 and Beyond

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The GFS is so confusing, especially now it's got a parallel that is also different from the old GFS. Which one do you believe? The fact it has 4 runs that are all different makes following it rather pointless. Definitely easier if you stick to following the ECM, even if the ECM shows us something we don't want, and the GFS shows us a bitter easterly, I'd still believe the ECM. While the GFS may be right some of the time, usually the GFS is playing catch up to the ECM.

Heres an example, comparing the GFS and The GFS P at just day 6, which should be the semi-reliable:

gfsnh-0-144.png?6gfsnh-0-144.png?6

Massive differences.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The GFS is so confusing, especially now it's got a parallel that is also different from the old GFS. Which one do you believe? The fact it has 4 runs that are all different makes following it rather pointless. Definitely easier if you stick to following the ECM, even if the ECM shows us something we don't want, and the GFS shows us a bitter easterly, I'd still believe the ECM. While the GFS may be right some of the time, usually the GFS is playing catch up to the ECM.

Well, the GFS Parallel has been upgraded so in theory it should be performing better than the current operational GFS. Until we see some verification stats though we wont know, it's still very much in its testing phase so their could be some issues with it causing it to produce inaccurate outputs. Until it goes fully operational it's best to use it in conjunction with other models and treat it as a separate entity from the operational GFS.

The current trend is for heights to build across into Greenland with a slightly weaker signal for a Scandi High too. The Northern Hemisphere is primed for cold but with low pressure systems continuing to not undercut, it could be a few more weeks before we really manage to tap into any cold air.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I only drifted in The the model output discussion very rarely this summer.My brief flirtations with the GFS output throughout summer led me to believe it was the trendsetter when it came to spotting high pressure and its whereabouts in our location well In advance.

How it copes through the winter is another debate

Edited by winterof79

Posted

I only drifted in Ti the model output discussion very rarely this summer.My brief flirtations with the GFS output throughout summer led me to believe it was the trendsetter when it came to spotting high pressure and its whereabouts in our location well In advance.

If it set the trend within day 10 fair enough, but you can't say it saw the trends first if it started after day 10, as obviously the ECM doesn't go out after day 10.

Posted

Some of the professional weather forecasters (Liam Dutton) can see us getting some cold weather as well by looking at  the jet stream models.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To remove deleted quote and off topic comment,
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Looks like the latest update from the UKMO does not give any hope for undercuts during the rest of this month. They indicate the rain next week transfers from the SW to the NW and during the following week a rise in temperatures across the board. The longer outlook confirms no imminent cold spell during the latter end of Nov and early December. Until, the UKMO charts start to hint at cold, it looks as though we will have to wait some time yet and not get too excited . Looking at their latest outlook,it would seem low pressure it staying out to the NW and high to the SE, which is not what us cold lovers are looking for.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Well, the GFS Parallel has been upgraded so in theory it should be performing better than the current operational GFS. Until we see some verification stats though we wont know, it's still very much in its testing phase so their could be some issues with it causing it to produce inaccurate outputs. Until it goes fully operational it's best to use it in conjunction with other models and treat it as a separate entity from the operational GFS.

The current trend is for heights to build across into Greenland with a slightly weaker signal for a Scandi High too. The Northern Hemisphere is primed for cold but with low pressure systems continuing to not undercut, it could be a few more weeks before we really manage to tap into any cold air.

I *think* the new GFS is the pink PRX line here:

cordieoff_HGT_P500_G2NHX.png

It's a bit misleading at the moment though because it only has 4.5 days compared to the full month for the others.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have deleted and edited some posts, Can we please only discuss what the Models are showing. There are other threads for Meto outlooks and maybe even one to discuss "likes"..

Many Thanks, PM.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Marked differences between the runs (zs), however the broader hemispheric patterns remains the same (i.e. disrupted PV). Normally you'd expect the PV to strong and organised, so such pattern shown by the GFS, and other models, is unusual, and good for coldies (regardless of the immediate weather). Minor wave breaking and warming events in strat will ultimately prevent PV from garnering too much strength. However, nothing substantial is currently forecast. In terms of the UK, for the next few weeks, i'd suggest unsettled, as low pressure systems try to track south east. I would not expect anything notably wintry in this period. The last 1/3 of the month and into December, for me,  holds some interest.

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 2

Posted

The cool/wet N/W flow draws in even stronger by the 19th, Maybe even stormy on a strong Jet.

gfsnh-5-300.png?12gfs-6-312.png?12gfsnh-0-336.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Deep in FI, but the 12Z GEM is showing a nasty looking storm approaching from the southwest.

ALc5iqZ.png

12Z GFS(P) also showing a deep low at the same time.

kMONjnH.gif

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A reminder to please keep to model discussion in here please.

One post has been removed-no discussion on the charts- and one moved to the other Model thread which accommodates more general views.

thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

We can see from the 12z runs continued pulsing of heights into the vortex,particularly over the Canadian side mid-range.

So signs of continued warmings but not enough to break the current set up as the transient ridges move around the NH.

The UK image is typical of all the models over the next week or so.

post-2026-0-60558100-1415214421_thumb.gi

For us then it looks like an ongoing pattern of mainly west/south westerly action with a slow moving  Atlantic upper trough nearby with attendant fronts interspersed with some brief drier spells. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Euro makes some more progress tonight at day 8 and 9, again though we really need the eastern side of the low to deepen.

Recm2161.gif

• Like 1

Posted

JMA and ECM both going for heights building to our Northwest towards the end of their runs. I keep thinking it's too early for all this but then I remember the best cold spell in my memory occurred in November.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest NOAA 8-14 dayer... lots of heights through Scandi to the Pole and some form of troughing to our west, seems to have been this way for months now. So rain likely to be a feature for some time - temperatures will be very dependent on whether the source of the weather is southerly (mild) or with an easterly aspect (chilly regardless of the 850s).

p.s. whisper it ... deep troughing over Aleutian Islands...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814day.03.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 8 mean from the GFS/ECM and GEM

gensnh-21-1-192.png?12

ECM

EDH1-192.GIF?05-0

GEM

gensnh-21-1-192.png

All fairly similar to be honest, cyclonic with winds varying but becoming more south/south easterly with time. Rainfall looks above average for the west but drier in the east. Temperatures look near normal.

As hopeful as the ECM is, it does look like it will be a long road to cold, if we continue to see the building blocks develop of course.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is that me or is the cold air mass over N America gonna come to us?

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

I think its something to keep an eye on it. :)

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Is that me or is the cold air mass over N America gonna come to us?

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

h850t850eu.png

I think its something to keep an eye on it. :)

The Atlantic will lift the temps for sure

Edited by Banbury

Posted

Yes the GFS continues to show a stronger N/W flow into the run. With the PV finding it's way home maybe?

gfsnh-0-204.png?18gfsnh-0-276.png?18gfsnh-0-300.png?18

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2