Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 31/10/2014 and Beyond

Posted

Already identified by some posters, but just to reaffirm 00z EC DET (easterly) out at d10 considered outlier by UKMO M-R forecasters; and whilst 'not out of the question' it's considered only 10% PROB, with continuation of unsettled W/SW influence the favoured scenario into next 10-15d. Rain amounts are firmly the forecast and model-watch focus into forseeable.

Thanks Ian. Not too surprising really, though still worth keeping an eye on, perhaps for a more 'watered-down' version.

Posted

The Met Office vs Steve Murr, who will win!? :)

Let's hope Steve Murr.

We need to see the UKMO model get more interesting for the Met Office to increase there 10% probability.

I don't think its a case of that though. The MetO prime concern is for the relentless rains for the next week or so and any possible pattern change outside of that realm is still in its infancy so to speak. If the models start to continuously show a cold pattern from the NE/E over the weekend then expect some changes in the wording of the extended outlook.
  • Like 3

Posted

I thought any pattern change to cold would be outside of the 10 day range anyway?

This, the possibility of a block is at least beyond 10 days and most likely in the 15-20 day range.

Posted

And already at just 90 hours heights are stronger than the previous 2 runs!!what I dont understand is why does the gfs keep chopping and changing with the heights across greenland and then bring them back all of a sudden at a closer time frame!!

• Like 1

Posted

Upstream pattern looking much better with much weaker lows in Canada/West Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

10%.......I'm sure at this stage the Met Office would of gave just 10% chance of an Easterly back in 2010.... Now't to worry about :cold:

gfs-2010110812-0-60_tba1.pnggfs-0-60_vkg1.png

• Like 4

Posted

This high pressure looks a lot more prone to being cut off from Russia, hopefully we get those lows to the west and North of Ukraine closing the gap in the rest of the run

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1321.gif

Posted

Hi Ian, my observations of the EPS is that because of their lower resolution they are 24 hours late to the operational party.

I would say 75% odds on favourite for a block to the NE, 50/50 the cold getting to us.... either way it certainly looks a lot better than last year!

S

I must say that after the last 2 or 3 days output and not just this mornings ECM, 10% is very conservative, even by the mets standards. I would have placed it much higher than 10%.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Massive improvement on the UKMO 12Z as well over the last 24 hours, far more amplified pattern and more in line with the GFS parallel:

UN120-21.GIF?08-17

compared to yesterday's:

UN144-21.GIF

I suspect that 10% may well increase after the 12Zs if the ECM looks similar...

+144 is a classic impasse between the Atlantic and blocking:

UN144-21.GIF

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

I don't think ian will reply to your comment.Steve as he has to sit on the fence. But by Monday I expect the 15-30 day forecast will have changed to say the chance of cold and wintry showers are possible.

• Like 1

Posted

@Nick sussex, Captain Shortwave and Banbury: if the PV was better organised in January 2014; where did all that cold weather in the USA come from and why didn't we get ice boxed in? What is clear is that a disrupted PV does not inevitably lead to backing up Exacta Weather and Daily Mail / Express sensationalist headlines. We are only in November, sea temps are warm and current conditions simply make it HIGHLY unlikely that there will be ANY serious cold in the foreseeable future. SST's are so high that living on these islands they impact the surface temps so massively that no matter how strong a blast of cold we get; low altitude temps will always be too high for wintry precipitation until the end of November / early December. Instead I expect that the pressure charts will start to show up the development of some intense low pressure systems. There is NO aggregate signal in the ensembles for cold; but lots of signals for unsettled weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A few posts straying off the thread topic so can we keep to model discussion please all.

There are plenty of other threads where you can debate Winter prospects,UKMO forecasts and many other things. 

Thanks.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted

@Nick sussex, Captain Shortwave and Banbury: if the PV was better organised in January 2014; where did all that cold weather in the USA come from and why didn't we get ice boxed in? What is clear is that a disrupted PV does not inevitably lead to backing up Exacta Weather and Daily Mail / Express sensationalist headlines. We are only in November, sea temps are warm and current conditions simply make it HIGHLY unlikely that there will be ANY serious cold in the foreseeable future. SST's are so high that living on these islands they impact the surface temps so massively that no matter how strong a blast of cold we get; low altitude temps will always be too high for wintry precipitation until the end of November / early December. Instead I expect that the pressure charts will start to show up the development of some intense low pressure systems. There is NO aggregate signal in the ensembles for cold; but lots of signals for unsettled weather.

Welcome to the forum David.

Perhaps put your location up please.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Because the PV descended far enough south to reach the Northern USA. That elongation meant that the USA got lucky (or unlucky if you don't like that sort of thing). When the PV did start to break up the bit that had reached that part of the US was strong enough to hang around for quite a while.

gfsnh-2014012212-1-6_rut6.png

The GFS isn't half slow now but the added resolution up to 240 hours appears to be giving it greater consistency.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS not that great as it doesn't detach the UK low from low heights over southern Greenland, the GFS P is much better and you can see the difference this makes.

This really is now the crucial component. The UKMO I don't find that inspiring as the high pressure is further south and theres no separation of trough energy at T144hrs.

Events over the ne USA are also quite important, do we get a shortwave to engage those low heights over western Greenland and help to pull some of that energy away to the nw, we really need to see some amplification to add a bit more sharpness to the downstream trough.

The sharper that is the better chance of the undercut and this can work in tandem with pressure rises to the ne to force a separation of that troughing near the UK.

Because of the set up its crucial to see a clearance of energy to allow the UK low to slip under the block.

• Like 6

Posted

My views on the UK and both GFS 12z Op runs in H.resolution are that they do show slightly more heights towards Greenland and the trough more dig se into Europe.

Small steps but the overall Atlantic pattern still means no change for us yet into the medium term.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Comparison ECM and GFS at 10 days (well, nine and a half days now) -

ECM

ECH1-240_idl2.GIF 

GFS

gfsnh-0-228_vfr3.png