Sign in to follow this  
Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

The War On Drugs - is it 'working', and why is it a 'war' anyway ?

Drugs - is the current approach the best approach ?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is the war on drugs working ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should all drugs be legalised and availability and quality managed by the government

• Yes
    • No

Canabis is not to be compared to such things as coffee, total different ball game

The greatest potential harm non abusive use of cannabis presents is the consequences of being caught with it and prosecuted and thus having a criminal record. All for no other reason than US pressure induced prohibition, that ultimately had nothing to do with effects or scientific evidence, the origin of the war on drugs in the US was far more to do with smashing the global hemp industry in order to boost the emerging US petrochemical industry. 

If it was spelling I was picking up on I'd be forever correcting folk on forums and social media. Spelling or incorrect grammar is not a sign of 'ill-education' but your comments on addiction clearly are. Know the facts before typing such 'twoddle'.

How dare you! I have always been terrible at spelling but you cannot make such personal remarks on here so I have reported your post.

It's not your spelling. It's your misinformed opinions of drugs that are being challenged.

Nicotine and caffeine are some of the most potent drugs around and every bit as edictive as opiates.

Thats why I home educate!

A lot of twoddle spojen on here comparing things such as Nicotine and Caffine with addictive drugs , that cause changes to the brain and have physical withdrawal effects. Canabis is not to be compared to such things as coffee, total different ball game. If you do smoke pot, inject herorin or snort cocaine you are a druggy!     

I honestly thought this was a wind up..truely.

This is the attitude that is drummed into all of us as children in schools and adults through the media and I myself held this opinion largely until I grew up and started to question things for myself, you are saying that over half the populous are druggys  :rofl:  I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.  :cray:

I honestly thought this was a wind up..truely.

This is the attitude that is drummed into all of us as children in schools and adults through the media and I myself held this opinion largely until I grew up and started to question things for myself, you are saying that over half the populous are druggys  :rofl:  I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.  :cray:

Indeed, it's the very same cack that I had drummed in to me, in 1972! When will government ministers ever learn, that you cannae put youngsters off doing things by telling them not to be naughty? Deliberate misinformation doesn't help, either.

Edited by Ed Stone

Sorry but I cannot agree with the views expressed on here regarding the use of drugs. A cup of coffee or a fag does not change a persons behaviour. A true addiction is different from a craving for something, I enjoy both coffee and a cigarette, but although they maybe linked to some illneses they do not cause changes in the brain leading to mental illneses. Almost all hard drug users will have started with a joint, I suspect very few started with a cup of tea or quick smoke.

if I was to try and justify my smoking on here with feeble excuses, I would quite rightly be taken down, and I don't think those supporting the use of recreational drugs should be treated any differently. One member of my extended family died at a young age due to drugs, and guess how he started? This idea that I am big boy it don't do me any harm, why not sit in on some drug rehab sessions.

if you think that is lack of education then so be it!

Edited by HighPressure

Almost all hard drug users will have started with a joint, I suspect very few started with a cup of tea or quick smoke.

Almost certainly the vast majority will have started on alcohol.

Sorry but I cannot agree with the views expressed on here regarding the use of drugs. A cup of coffee or a fag does not change a persons behaviour. A true addiction is different from a craving for something, I enjoy both coffee and a cigarette, but although they maybe linked to some illneses they do not cause changes in the brain leading to mental illneses. Almost all hard drug users will have started with a joint, I suspect very few started with a cup of tea or quick smoke.

if I was to try and justify my smoking on here with feeble excuses, I would quite rightly be taken down, and I don't think those supporting the use of recreational drugs should be treated any differently. One member of my extended family died at a young age due to drugs, and guess how he started? This idea that I am big boy it don't do me any harm, why not sit in on some drug rehab sessions.

if you think that is lack of education then so be it

People were not saying caffeine and nicotine are the same as other 'drugs'.

People were highlighting the percieved hypocrisy of our current drug policy with alcohol and nicotine being legal. Alcohol is an ingrained part of our culture.

If you have a predisposition to mental illnesses then HEAVY and consistent use of cannabis could lead to a mental illness.

Smoking is more likely to lead to cancer. Yet, many still smoke like yourself.

Alcohol abuse can lead to higher risk of cancer and liver problems etc.

As Skifreak says, I'd argue alcohol is the 'gateway' drug. The only reason cannabis is, is due to it's illegality.

You'll need a dealer for weed and thus you can get harder drugs off of your dealer or will be mixing in circles in which they can be sourced.

I do believe Ecstacy and coke will have a bigger relationship with alcohol than weed. You can 'smoke' heroin, that's probably the only tenuous link I can think of to put blame at cannabis' door with regard to progression onto harder drugs. The reason is the illegality as touched upon before.

Firstly, I believe alcohol is a 'recreational drug'. Do you disagree?

Secondly, not all on here are supporting recreational drug use. Some just believe we need to change drug policy, I personally do not want full legalisation of all drugs a la Portugal but I see some of the arguments in favour.

Edited by SW Saltire

Interesting to see what would happen if say alcohol was banned and cannabis was legalised? Entire industries would be up in arms shouting and screaming and perhaps rightly so. Then there's the tax element. Quite obviously it is ingrained into the cultural and social fabric much like many other countries, questions then arise as to why some countries take a different stance on the matter.

Although not drug related, this piece on changing police priorities has a bearing. Less money, fewer staff and newer, more dangerous issues to focus on. No mention of the old mantra about "war on drugs".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33676308

There had to be a "conversation with the public" over priorities, she added.

Ms Thornton said: "Crime is changing in this country.

"There are a lot less burglaries than there used to be, a lot less car crime, but the sorts of crimes that are on the increase - sexual offences, concerns about terrorism, cyber crime - that's where we really need to focus.

"We need to move from reacting to some of those traditional crimes to think about focusing on threat and harm and risk and protecting the public.

Although not drug related, this piece on changing police priorities has a bearing. Less money, fewer staff and newer, more dangerous issues to focus on. No mention of the old mantra about "war on drugs".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33676308

I think most would be happy for police to concentrate on serious crimes rather than minor drug possession anyway!

The way I see it, is with the cuts to the force it's impossible to be everywhere, so they would prefer to deal with bigger crimes.

Exactly, however, it shouldn't be a crime is what most of us are arguing.... (Possession/personal that is, not dealing)

Exactly, however, it shouldn't be a crime is what most of us are arguing.... (Possession/personal that is, not dealing)

If it was legalized dealers wouldn't exist either of course or at least on a much smaller scale. As it is you can't have one without the other.

When even the Daily Mail commenters are agreeing with this, you know the law is barmy.

Although the amount of BS and hysteria in that article is infuriating. Horrible rag of a "news"paper.

Edited by Nick L

I can't see how anyone can honestly believe that the 'war on drugs' has been a success. But, if someone can see a single goal it has achieved, I'll be open to reconsideration...

The problem is.... how do you have personal possession without a dealer? That is easily solved by legalising and regulating but the present situation is a hypocritical one.

The problem is.... how do you have personal possession without a dealer? That is easily solved by legalising and regulating but the present situation is a hypocritical one.

Absolutely agree: I could grow my own supply of marijuana, if I wanted...But I just can't be bothered! :rofl:

That's why the halfway house of decriminalisation is not a good solution. Although it'd be better than the daft situation we're in now.

Absolutely agree: I could grow my own supply of marijuana, if I wanted...But I just can't be bothered! :rofl:

Oh and of course even through an expensive dealer its cheaper to smoke than drinking in a pub in this country...  :rofl:

25 quid or there about's is a quiet evening in the local pub but if you bought some wacky backy it would last a month.  :whistling:

Edited by Nights King

Oh and of course even through an expensive dealer its cheaper to smoke than drinking in a pub in this country...  :rofl:

25 quid or there about's is a quiet evening in the local pub but if you bought some wacky backy it would last a month.  :whistling:

With no hangovers either :D

I worry for this country if everyone wants to smoke dope, it is not an environment I want my kids to grow up,and it is not a substance I want readily available to them.

I agree the situation is a hypocritical one, smoking tobacco (agreed not good) is being ever more targeted as bad, yet substances such as alcohol and recreational drugs are being downgraded to just a bit of fun or relaxation. I also agree that one cig, one drink or one joint is not going to hurt anyone, but the result of addiction to the last 2 has far worse outcomes than the first.

There have always been drugs of one sort or another but the thought of half the nation spending their time getting high is concerning. Once we go down this road maybe a little snort of coke or a small shoot up with crack becomes ever more acceptable.